california Mandating 1.4 million electric cars by 2025 VOL. we tell you what to drive

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/
Cars

California plans to tighten emissions standards, raise EV requirements

Jan 26, 2012 4:45 PM

car-blue-sky-iStock_000005035191XSmall-thumb-240xauto-3824.jpg

As the nation debates adopting a 54.5 mpg fuel economy standard for 2025, California is planning to leap ahead once again in requiring greener vehicles than does the federal government.

Under federal law, California has a special exemption to set tighter air-quality regulations than the rest of the nation. (Its warm climate and geography may be particularly friendly to beachgoers, but unfortunately is also particularly hospitable to smog.)

In this case, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) is planning to tighten air pollution standards 75 percent by 2025. This governs exhaust pollution such as carbon monoxide, oxides of nitrogen and sulphur, particulate matter, and unburned fuel, as well as vapor emissions from refueling and fuel system leaks.

CARB standards also govern emissions of carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas that can only be controlled by reducing fuel consumption. The state has signed onto a bargain with the Obama administration to set these targets at the same levels as the federal government’s 54.5 mpg requirement, as long as that rule goes through.

But the state is increasing the number of “zero-emissions vehicles

Good stuff

this is the type of things that should be pushed.... not all that anti terrotism stuff. Good for the environment

- There are many electrical charging station already (the electric car is loved in cali)

A.make people buy cars they historically refused to buy especially when these EVs are expensive and people are hurting in this economy.
Remember how expensive computers were 10 years ago? People were spending Macbook Pro (17in) money for specs that were just barely better (and worse in many cases) than the current generation Smartphone. The reason why these EVs are so expensive is because they are produced with high-end technology. As time goes on and the technology used to produce these EVs become cheaper, the cost of manufacturing will go down which will (hopefully) mean more affordable options for consumers.

Additionally, the California gov't might want to consider subsidizing EV purchases by encouraging dealers to offer longer leasing options with lower monthly payments. That way they will be able to collect more tax on the vehicles, provide citizens with financially reasonable ways to meet their standards, and stimulate their economy by enticing citizens to buy these EVs.
B.get money to create da infrastructure needed to plug in all those cars.
The American grid needs to be updated in general, but that's besides the point. In addition to their emission standards, California is also pursuing Green Energy standards through their plethora of solar panels. Maybe if they extend their green energy goals, they would be able to make up some of the power demand through promoting their green energy goals.

Just some thoughts, though.

yea but da majority of electricty is still generated thru fossil fuels (coal, oil, natural gas) so i dont see how this is "good" for da enviorment..especially when da batteries that these electric cars

run on contain Toxic contaminants which im willing to bet on do alot more damage then da stuff i breathe out. 

I honestly don't see this being a problem. I do live in Oakland but literally half the vehicles I see on the road are Prius', people out here want to buy these cars.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

yea but da majority of electricty is still generated thru fossil fuels (coal, oil, natural gas) so i dont see how this is "good" for da enviorment..especially when da batteries that these electric cars

run on contain Toxic contaminants which im willing to bet on do alot more damage then da stuff i breathe out. 

Then when will the masses convert to a cleaner alternative?
imo these are small steps into the right direction. Even though 1.4 million is the number, only half of that would actually be accomplished but its still something.

so should we forever run on gas? The car was meant to run on electricity since the start. It seems that you are focusing on da negatives

My Mustang barely passed emissions last year here in Cali. Would for sure fail once those new CARB laws kick in. Don't have the car anymore though but know several people that would fail with their current setups.

I think more people will buy into electric cars if they were cheaper. Even with government rebates the Volt and Leaf run around $30k
sick.gif
. Way too much money for such little car, if your the type to keep a car over 15+ years than maybe it's an investment. And with the limited range these cars get and who knows what long term reliability is looking like i don't think its a smart move to snag one right now.

Originally Posted by MrBrown

Originally Posted by ninjahood

yea but da majority of electricty is still generated thru fossil fuels (coal, oil, natural gas) so i dont see how this is "good" for da environment..especially when da batteries that these electric cars

Then when will the masses convert to a cleaner alternative?
how about this simple rule of thumb...you can't legislate a one size fits all for things like cars, people have different needs and wants in automobiles..TELLING people what can and cannot drive is terrible as far as consumer

choice...and what do you think iis gonna happen to manufacturing industry that isn't about to let CARB regulate (see tax) em to death..they'll leave da state and take

those jobs people would wanna be employed with them..and for a place like Cali that is running itself into insolvency (ya can't even afford

to keep people in prision) creating expensive new regulations that people can't afford or dont want to drive is something thats gonna kill alot of business and choice.

i aint trippen...by 2025 we probably wont even be so reliant on gas powered engines and there will be beastly electric cars in the future....you guys are acting like there wont be a electric GT-R in the future that will blow the present one out of the water....btw quit with that NY > CA...cause if this really happens you the nation will jump the wagon....

shoot.... hopefully by then my 68 falcon will be done
laugh.gif
tired.gif

cali cant see me. im'a be in these bay area streets smokin it up at every light
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Yeah

A.make people buy cars they historically refused to buy especially when these EVs are expensive and people are hurting in this economy.
Remember how expensive computers were 10 years ago? People were spending Macbook Pro (17in) money for specs that were just barely better (and worse in many cases) than the current generation Smartphone. The reason why these EVs are so expensive is because they are produced with high-end technology. As time goes on and the technology used to produce these EVs become cheaper, the cost of manufacturing will go down which will (hopefully) mean more affordable options for consumers.

Additionally, the California gov't might want to consider subsidizing EV purchases by encouraging dealers to offer longer leasing options with lower monthly payments. That way they will be able to collect more tax on the vehicles, provide citizens with financially reasonable ways to meet their standards, and stimulate their economy by enticing citizens to buy these EVs.
The American grid needs to be updated in general, but that's besides the point. In addition to their emission standards, California is also pursuing Green Energy standards through their plethora of solar panels. Maybe if they extend their green energy goals, they would be able to make up some of the power demand through promoting their green energy goals.

The first excuse has been given for the past 20 years.  Although I will agree that solar energy has made vast leaps in the past couple years, the only way it has become cheaper is by exporting the production and manufacturing to China.  There have been 5 alternative energy companies that have been directly funded by the government that have gone BK just within the past year.

CARB has gone way overboard and there is NO oversight over them.  The board members are appointed by the California legislators who are all in safe districts and once termed out, go to work for those companies they previously directed tax revenue to.

Originally Posted by Yeah

California is BROKE...raising taxes on everyone else to fund a goal by a unelected bureaucracy is ridiculous...and whats worse is they're gonna go crawl to da federal government with da tin can for more bailout because they

keep blowin  what they tax on stuff like this...da electric car has been out for almost as long as da car as has been out, if it was gonna be successful it would do wit without basically coercing da market into subsidizing their operation..

Telling people how to spend their money
30t6p3b.gif

There hasn't been a solid electric supercar in, well, ever. Concepts like the Porsche 918 and Acura NSX are too expensive or aren't even being produced. I'm a big fan of fast, powerful cars which happen to have terrible mileage. The government is mandating 54 mpg? A hybrid Camry doesn't even get that, and my friend's Prius averages around 45-50.

I'm not even some rich guy who wants gas-guzzling cars to uphold an image. I'm just as broke as anyone and I love to see solid cars take the road.

It's inevitable though, and I guess we can bet that supercars can still be clean and have ridiculous performance
ohwell.gif

Hey, what ever happened to Global Warming? Haven't heard about it in years.

im glad NY would never try to do things like that.....they just need to make that keystone pipeline and make da gas grices plummet.

shouldn't you care about at least trying to preserve your planet? This doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Ninjahood, instead of worrying about CA forcing people to buy cleaner "green" cars, you should worry about the state of NY forcing you to clean your damn room. Or let me guess, Da roaches gotta live somewhere..
e6935429e3b831ec5d952e82a08220beb44b67a.gif

mad corny b

Originally Posted by JPTHE3

shut yo #$4 up ninjahood ,ill body you up real talk

08f353fae39739495b9324ddaaeabda963386bc.jpg

Originally Posted by cap1229

shouldn't you care about at least trying to preserve your planet? This doesn't seem like a bad idea.
at da expense of sky rocketing da price of taxes, cars, etc. to subsidize this social experiment? no thanks...if da governemt wants to create incentives thats fine, but picking winners and losers is something

da government thats always gonna get wrong when they aren't motivated by market demand and trends.

Back
Top Bottom