Brett Favre is Sports Illustraded's Sportsman of the Year

Congrats to Farve.
And you gotta admit, he is a better sportsman than Brady. Brady is having a better season. But that was not the point of the award.
and i dont know much about Federer

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Are you serious? Why am I not surprised.
grin.gif

Then again this year's main candidates were not really eye popping.

Check the avatar.

Bias aside, I would have expected Romo simply because he's new, etc. Favre has gotten every worthless sports before (including the Turkey Day Trophy onThanksgiving
roll.gif
) but maybe this is just SI's way of trying to make it seem like he can retire now and leave a winner... I don't really knowactually.

[h1]Favre Named Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year[/h1] [h3]Tom Murray
Katie DeLong
[/h3]
GREEN BAY - A new honor for Packers quarterback Brett Favre: he has been named Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year.

Brett Favre is only the fourth quarterback to win the award in 53 years.

The award encompasses all sports, meaning Favre was selected from an incredibly large pool. He's on pace this year to beat several of his own personal bests in one of the most promising Packer seasons in many years.

Brett Favre appears on the cover of the December 10th issue of Sports Illustrated and the issue honors him with the title of 2007 Sportsman of the Year.

The award is given to the athlete who Sports Illustrated fells best symbolizes the ideals of sportsmanship. The article highlights Favre's leadership, performance on the field and his philanthropy.

Favre's Fourward Foundation has donated more that $4 million to charities in Wisconsin and Mississippi over the years.

Favre joins elite company. The other quarterbacks to win this award include Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana and Tom Brady.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by AirForce1s

props to him, well deserved
indifferent.gif
He's not even the best at the position he plays in his sport.
The award is given to the athlete who Sports Illustrated fells best symbolizes the ideals of sportsmanship

Oh please..
eyes.gif
Don't give me that crap. Then how come there hasnever been a winner of this award who was a class guy but a complete bum as a player?

tony dungy should have gotten it but then he would just talk about god and his sons suicide....a lil weird eh?

^ when did Favre become a "complete bum" ????

Way to change the subject.

Can you make up your mind? Is the award about how good the player has been over the last year or is it about how classy of a guy he is when he's playing?

You said that the award was about how classy a guy was. And I ask again, if that is why the award is given for, then how come some guy who shows truesportsmanship but who is not a good player never won the award? Because there's clearly a measurment of how of a player he was.. And like I said, he'snot even the best at his position at the sport he's playing.

"symbolizing the ideals of sportsmanship" has nothing to do with the award. They can write that now all they want. It has everything to do with whothe current hype is and nothing more. Favre obviously is Jesus right now and there are no other clear cut winners....so he's gonna get it.

Dwayne Wade won it last year. Tom Brady the year before. The Red Sox breaking the curse the year before that.

It's typically about the sexiest story.

I laughed about Favre getting it this year not because there is no way he is "worthy" but rather because it is almost is the icing on the cake forthis guy in the media. In 2007 when we think who should be getting Sportsman of the Year very few of us would have said Favre as choice #1, let's behonest.

I kinda understand why SI would give to him. Dude had some problems (i.e. pain killer) and think about this, last year (and this year before the season)everybody was calling the dude out to quit. Comes back and now he leads the one of the best team in NFC that has no running back or a starwide-reciever. Brady could've gotten it if there wasn't that 'spygate' incident. Federer is consideration, too but we are not living in 1982and nobody gives a damn about (at least mainstream American sports media) men's tennis no more. I also think Tony Dungy should've been gettingthis award but I also understand why they would give to Brett Farve.

Madden is having a time of his life by now.

complete bum as a player
a starting QB for the team that's 10-2 should not be called a 'complete bum'

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

^ when did Favre become a "complete bum" ????

Way to change the subject.

Can you make up your mind? Is the award about how good the player has been over the last year or is it about how classy of a guy he is when he's playing?

You said that the award was about how classy a guy was. And I ask again, if that is why the award is given for, then how come some guy who shows true sportsmanship but who is not a good player never won the award? Because there's clearly a measurment of how of a player he was.. And like I said, he's not even the best at his position at the sport he's playing.

tom brady is a whiner. hes not a "good sport"

Favre is one of the best QBs of all time, a Hall of Famer whos having the best season of his entire career (minus last week of course). and hes one of the mostliked players in the NFL... maybe the most liked player.

get over it, the people at SI know more than you

Favre is a Living Legend ~

are kids will be like how good was he rilly, well let me tell you, The greatest

for the haters... stats speak for themselves
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom