Boardwalk Empire Season 3 Thread - "Margate Sands" SEASON FINALE

What I just don't get is, what did Capone get out this? What deal (if any) did he make with Eli to help Nucky? Or did he just get paid? If it was just for the money - kind of weak story.
As for next season, Massaria & Rothstein are going to be livid and upset with Nucky. Nuckys enemies are going to be them. Lucky is going to drift away and find help with Nucky so he could eventually start the beginning of taking over Massarias spot and to get back Rothstein. It's easy to predict knowing the background on the real characters. Next season will show the beginning of the rise of Lucky and Meyer on his side - with the help of Nucky.

Was actually just reading all of their real stories to see how long they'll stick around for. Interested in seeing how far the show goes down the timeline because it seems like the 30's was an interesting period

Amazing finale. Although this season started off a little slow, the finish in this last handful of episodes cemented it as just as good or better than the last two. Nucky's revenge on Rothstein was one of my favorite parts. Even with his back against the wall, he still found a way to win the game of one-upsmanship.

On another note, it wasn't clear to me whether Nucky ordered Capone and Chalky to take out Masseria's men even after they all retreated due to the Rothstein/Masseria deal, or if Capone and Chalky did it on their own for revenge. Maybe I missed something, but who ordered that massacre should be important for Season 4 because Masseria will probably not be too happy about it when he finds out.

Last edited:
Amazing finale. Although this season started off a little slow, the finish in this last handful of episodes cemented it as just as good or better than the last two. Nucky's revenge on Rothstein was one of my favorite parts. Even with his back against the wall, he still found a way to win the game of one-upsmanship.
On another note, it wasn't clear to me whether Nucky ordered Capone and Chalky to take out Masseria's men even after they all retreated due to the Rothstein/Masseria deal, or if Capone and Chalky did it on their own for revenge. Maybe I missed something, but who ordered that massacre should be important for Season 4 because Masseria will probably not be too happy about it when he finds out.
I'm pretty sure they planned it all together, and I'm pretty sure the only people who knew about Capone was Nucky's side I don't think anybody in NY knew about him helping Nucky....

Pretty good. I liked the first two finales better but this was quality. It was going to be impossible to top last year's surprise anyway. And I remember the perfect song and montage finished the first season.

Kind of wish gyp really did go to the backwoods just because it would be less cliche and leave an opening for his return. But the character did enough. I loved when he was talking strange I bought it was a dream sequence like the sopranos. The character really grew on me. Thought I was going to hate him.

The harrow scene was kind of OD. Not a fan of those one sided shoot outs. But loved how he finished it off

I thought something was up when Nucky agreed to 99%. Him turning it back on Rothstein was genius.

Not sure what happened with the attorney general. Not sure if Harrow has any purpose anymore. Wish Gillian was gone. Hope we see more busy next year. Hope margret is gone her character doesn't add anything anymore.

All the main characters made it through. Which shocked me.

Shocked that people are comparing Omar's demise to Gyp

Omar's was perfect. No better way to make a statement. And he was always off his game around kids. Then he didn't even get his name in the newspaper. And the toe tag was messed up. That was much more meaningful than Gyp. Omar was a nobody outside of that little world he lived in.

But Gyp's last monologue was probably my favorite part of this episode.

Called it. Knew son was going to be the death of Gyp. R.I.P.

And man that AR scene with Lucky and Meyer.... :smh:

Van Alden is done or something? His last appearance was getting arrested by the alco cops in the bar he was selling the home made drink right?
So Torrio is officially done since Al said to Nucky "your deal is with me."
van alden's last scene was when he had a sit down with al capone and he said he wanted to know how o'banions operation worked. i think he made van alden work for him so maybe hes in chicago still? torrio handed over his role after obanion and capone met in that scene where torrio says ''from now on all deals and talks are done thru him (capone)" or something like that. 

I'm pretty sure they planned it all together, and I'm pretty sure the only people who knew about Capone was Nucky's side I don't think anybody in NY knew about him helping Nucky....
he told tonino to tell masseria if he wants peace/war he'd oblige in any way. so i think he did know what happened. 

I wonder if Richard knew that Gyp was going to be light on men when he stormed through the house? Richard had overkill, one-man army, quick scope, fast hands and lightweight perks lol

Last edited:
Not having a final scene between torrid and Capone leaves a lot to be desired

And I hope that isn't the last of van Alden because that would be ridiculous

What happened with the attorney general too? After that guy shot himself that was it?

So Nucky committed an act of war when they took out all of massareia's men right?

Also the way I took it was that by next season's start rothstein will already be in prison. Why would that guy give up his own distillery tho

Last edited:
The way they killed off Gyp was stupid, anti climatic and without any sort of vengeance which is a major undertone of this show.

Wait what? It was all about vengeance. Tonino watched Gyp bash his cousin's head in with a shovel bro. Nucky found Tonino alive and offered him a way out. Tonino was able to avenge his cousin's death while Nuck finally got his revenge. Perfect.

If you want to make a beef, it could be the coincidence I suppose. Tonino being the one man spared at the brothel, Nucky finding him hiding out, and then both of them running into Gyp soon after. It all pieced together perfectly.

And like someone already said before me, not all gangsters go out the "say hello to my little friend" way. It's just not realistic. Most of them actually die in prison after getting snitched on or for evading taxes for decades. So if anything, Gyp getting stabbed to death was very climatic.

Last edited:
After 3 years in... What's better sopranos or boardwalk?

So far it's even I think.

1st two seasons of both are unquestioned classics. 3rd seasons of both were slightly worse but excellent TV

But I think boardwalk is gonna edge it out in the next few years. I loved most of the last season of the sopranos but I think I'm in the minority on that. And I'm still salty about the ending of the sopranos

1st two seasons of both are unquestioned classics. 3rd seasons of both were slightly worse but excellent TV
But I think boardwalk is gonna edge it out in the next few years. I loved most of the last season of the sopranos but I think I'm in the minority on that. And I'm still salty about the ending of the sopranos

Naaah. Sopranos was better. Both amazing shows but I won't even call it close. Sopranos, clear winner

I used to think the last 2 or 3 seasons of Sopranos weren't as good as the first 4. But over the past few years I've re-watched and I must say, the last couple of season were pretty brilliant.

True, but Meyer is also Jewish and he's Lucky's business partner and frankly saved his *** from being murked in that room.

Maybe the event didnt happen yet, maybe Meyer screws him over in season 4 bc BWE has been known to foreshadow stuff over seasons.

Good season. I was really hoping that they would kill both Margret and Gillian or any one of them. I guess I'll have to wait til next season.

Gyp made this season. Kinda sad to see him go.

Richard went commando on the brothel and got what he wanted. I see him being Nucky's new "Owen".

So much build up for next season...

With this ending and Walking Dead on hiatus, WTH am I going to watch now. :smh:

Maybe the event didnt happen yet, maybe Meyer screws him over in season 4 bc BWE has been known to foreshadow stuff over seasons.

If you read the Terrace Winter Interview that somebody posted earlier you will see that he is trying to stay true to characters that are historic figures. Meyer and Luciano end up being business partners until Luciano gets deported to Italy when he is older and dies there not much later after deportation. Meyer eventually retires from being the "mobs accountant" and dies of old age

Back
Top Bottom