Blu-Ray: What's the difference? How much better than DVD? Is it worth buying?

gonna pick up Kingdom of Heaven on BD today
smile.gif
& probably Wall-e finally

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

smile.gif

you won't be disappointed.
check best buy as well i think kingdom of heaven is still on their 2for35 deals

Originally Posted by eteam o2

smile.gif

ended up picking up Kingdom of Heaven DC @ Costco for 18, popped it in last night and it looks amazing
pimp.gif

great detail on the Chainmail and King Baldwin's mask + the wide shots, highly recommend this

crappy iphone pics:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5937/2yy9wd3.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1985/a5quro.jpg

Originally Posted by eteam o2

smile.gif

ended up picking up Kingdom of Heaven DC @ Costco for 18, popped it in last night and it looks amazing
pimp.gif

great detail on the Chainmail and King Baldwin's mask + the wide shots, highly recommend this

crappy iphone pics:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5937/2yy9wd3.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1985/a5quro.jpg
pimp.gif

recently got Aviator on Blu-ray, highly recommended(and underrated)

the colors are great, real vibrant and have 'pop'
the flight scenes are amazing
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Came across this in the High-def digest Q&A section... maybe some might find it useful...

Q: With almost three years of age, would you say that the PS3 is still the best BD player on the market?

A: The PS3 is a fine Blu-ray player, no doubt. It's fully-featured with Bonus View and BD-Live, will decode all the lossless audio formats, and is still one of the fastest players to load even Java-heavy Blu-ray discs.

Whether it's the best BD player on the market depends on your particular needs. For example, the PS3 lacks multi-channel analog audio connections for users without HDMI-equipped A/V receivers. Although it will decode the lossless audio formats internally, it will not transmit their raw digital bitstreams over HDMI to a receiver. Many users (myself included) prefer to let a receiver handle the audio decoding. The player's DVD upconversion is also only mediocre.

The PS3's Bluetooth receiver is not compatible with universal remote controls unless you add an after-market accessory like the Nyko BluWave, which takes up one of the USB ports and is missing On/Off or Eject commands. And let's not forget that the console is a rather strangely-shaped box that doesn't fit easily into many home theater equipment racks.

That's not to suggest that the PS3 isn't an excellent piece of hardware. It really is. But every user's needs are different. Some will find the PS3 a perfect fit, and others will be better served by a standalone player.

Also, I need your opinion...

Band of Brothers? yes or no (in terms of story quality as well as BD quality)... thanks.

dude i been debating on BOB too, im sure the story is good as my friend been recommending me to that
but im just worrying about replay value, lmk if u find it at a good price (the cheapest i seen in mk basement place u told me is 6xx but out of stock lasttime)
or u can just let me borrow it after lol

so don't know if its been asked but lets say you have a ps3 and you play a regular dvd on it but have the hdmi cables hooked up 2 an hd television does itautomatically upconvert like some blue-ray players or no?

Originally Posted by ii2cky

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Also, I need your opinion...

Band of Brothers? yes or no (in terms of story quality as well as BD quality)... thanks.
dude i been debating on BOB too, im sure the story is good as my friend been recommending me to that
but im just worrying about replay value, lmk if u find it at a good price (the cheapest i seen in mk basement place u told me is 6xx but out of stock last time)
or u can just let me borrow it after lol
I say go for it on story quality. Really good, engaging story. I watch it whenever its on A&E, so I say the replay value is pretty good.
Not sure about picture quality tho, but for $10 more I say go for it. Amazon has it on sale for $53.99 new.

Band of Brothers and LOST are the only TV series I've ever considered buying too, if that helps.

Originally Posted by Swagger2Much4You

so don't know if its been asked but lets say you have a ps3 and you play a regular dvd on it but have the hdmi cables hooked up 2 an hd television does it automatically upconvert like some blue-ray players or no?
I wouldnt think so, but I dont have a clear cut "Yes or No" answer. I'd imagine that since it's not formatted like a BD, itwouldnt be treated as one.

Originally Posted by Swagger2Much4You

so don't know if its been asked but lets say you have a ps3 and you play a regular dvd on it but have the hdmi cables hooked up 2 an hd television does it automatically upconvert like some blue-ray players or no?
yeah, it will be upconverted to 1080p
but it won't look like a blu-ray obviously, but it will look better than it would through a normal dvd player

make sure the settings on your ps3 are set to upconvert though
pop a regular dvd in and press the info or guide button and it should say 1080p on your TV

Originally Posted by JPZx

My Blu-Ray player has been back-ordered since December 27th
smh.gif
...what should I do?
Still haven't received it...what should I do in this situation?

Did you receive it yet? I would probably cancel if you haven't... They just got an interest free loan from you...

Heads up:

I bought Transformers and Punisher: War Zone at Target for only 29.99.

They're having a buy 1 get 1 free on select Blu-rays this week.

Other titles include:

Iron Man
Tropic Thunder
Eagle Eye
Transporter 3
Wall-E
etc.

Originally Posted by nnarum

My Blu-Ray player has been back-ordered since December 27th
smh.gif
...what should I do?
Still haven't received it...what should I do in this situation?

Did you receive it yet? I would probably cancel if you haven't... They just got an interest free loan from you...
Haven't cancelled. Will right now.

picked up american history x and the wedding singer today @ best buy. 16.99 each
both cheaper on amazon if u can wait.

also 8 mile next week
sin city and x-men trilogy the following week.
pimp.gif

Just rip BD movies and store them on a external HD. The future of movies is not in a disc....

its called dvd upscaling, u have to turn it on in the systems settings

How do you turn this on...I was looking for it up and down and could not find it

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

its called dvd upscaling, u have to turn it on in the systems settings

How do you turn this on...I was looking for it up and down and could not find it
Also, be sure to be using an HDMI. This is the only way Upconversion can happen.

Blu-ray.com wrote:
Lord of the Rings Pre-order Now Available!

Posted April 16, 2009 08:15 AM by Josh Dreuth

New Line Cinema In an early announcement to retailers, New Line Home Entertainment in conjunction with Warner Home Video have revealed the cover art for 'The Lord of the Rings Trilogy' Blu-ray and Amazon has begun taking pre-orders. The release currently does not have a release date, but it is expected to be released later this year - most likely during the holiday season.

No technical specs or special features have been revealed at this time, but you can expect to see 1080p VC-1 video accompanied by a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack.

The only potentially negative news here is that the films will be presented in their theatrical versions instead of the more popular (and more faithful) extended versions. This is not entirely surprising as Warner made it well known early on that the theatrical versions would be released first, with the extended versions coming sometime later (likely around the theatrical release of 'The Hobbit'). However, any hope of the 2009 release using seamless branching to show both versions has now been washed away.

But, that doesn't take away from the fact that this is indeed 'The Lord of the Rings' - three films which together grossed more than $1B domestically - in high definition. This is one of the releases Blu-ray fans have been begging for, and you can bet this is going to be one of the best selling Blu-ray titles this year.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet sweet news... it's been expected for some time now but this just makes it OFFICIAL!!!

and a friendly reminder to blu-ray enthusiasts:
Sin City on 4/21 (got rated 98/100 in an avsforums review with reference video and audio quality)
also
X-Men Trilogy on 4/21

Havent seen this thread in a minute...
Just picked up the Wrestler today... PQ wasn't that great...but considering what it was filmed w/ what can you expect

Back
Top Bottom