Black Culture Discussion Thread

Yeah see that's my point. My aunt was pissed because she's very pro black to say the least. Hard to believe in a city like LA you can't find no entry level negroes worth employing.

Needless to say he hasn't had a black girlfriend in about 6 years either :lol:

Blacks are so mentally slaved and it's sad. Disheartening that a brotha with that much success would just turn his back on his own completely....like damn you can't have ONE employee that looks like you? :lol: in LA of all places

**** wild

My vent/rant...still on topic tho, sorta.

So my cousin is somewhat of an example of the issue I have with "new blacks". He grew up in B-More, DC, and Detroit so he's never had a lack of black people around him. He ended up going to a PWI (scholarship) and I'm not sure his mindset has been the same since. He's thirty now, has a very successful business (7 figures successful) in LA, but has zero black employees out of about 40 or so.

Now, before everybodys flames me, hear me out. I don't think every black person has a responsibility to hire an all black staff and have a mural of Malcolm in the hallway. But it's really hard for me to believe that in a city like LA there are NO qualified African-Americans who've applied/interviewed. I feel like a lot of young sucessful black people have lost that sense of community. Not that anybody should be gifted something because y'all are the same race, but knowing the discrimation that exists in a lot of majority owned companies, maybe put a little extra effort out there to hire ppl who've been through a similar struggle that you have.

Maybe I'm too idealistic, but it just seems like our individual sucesses aren't nearly as important as a whole if we don't help the next generation as well.

End rant.
I live in LA, there's plenty of black people to hire here.  One big problem we have is that you'll be in a black area but everyone working at the mall or any chain store will be Mexican or Salvadorean from the managers to the grunts.  I think we need to stop patronizing businesses that do this, but as far as your cousin...

Sadly it's pretty typical for dudes out here to get brand new and abandon black people to some degree.   Dunno how much that happens elsewhere but a lot of people try to make the switch out here once they meet all the different kinds of nonblack people that live in the city.

Mass hypnosis is attainable by the repetition of an important theme (like “rap”) until it is accepted as fact by the subconscious and then conscious mind. Such messages can be transmitted during TV shows, MUSIC, video games or films and are not immediately perceived by the eyes and conscious mind.  Entertainers have long influenced us in the messages of their music and in their culture, dress and attitude. 

Has anybody checked out the bleaching black culture documentary?

Sammy Sosa looks like a damn vampire now. Dude is pathetic. Everyone in the skin bleaching movement, Beyonce included, forever lost my respect.

Seem Nicki Minaj tho? Kinda the worst. And how does that bleech thing work? Do you take pills to lighten pigmemt, or do u just apply some lotion. I gather itll take a few applications for the skin.

Sammy Sosa looks like a damn vampire now. Dude is pathetic. Everyone in the skin bleaching movement, Beyonce included, forever lost my respect.
Seem Nicki Minaj tho? Kinda the worst. And how does that bleech thing work? Do you take pills to lighten pigmemt, or do u just apply some lotion. I gather itll take a few applications for the skin.
 I meant the documentary. Not the actual bleaching of people's skin
laugh.gif

It is a problem and a sad thing to hear about tho. Brave, I'm sure it depends on how it's done. You can get a BS treatment, or a legit one, and I'm sure the applications differ. Like for some I hear you have to use the cream forever because once you stop, your skin peels or something like that.

They sell a rack of skin bleaching creams in the beauty supply store. I'm sure them rich folk use something off a higher quality tho.

Its harder to say female celebrities have been bleaching because they're always wearing make up. Could be a bad makeup job or the reflection of the light off the makeup.

Sosa on the other hand most def has been bleaching and should be ashamed of himself.

Last edited:

I meant the documentary. Not the actual bleaching of people's skin :lol:

It is a problem and a sad thing to hear about tho. Brave, I'm sure it depends on how it's done. You can get a BS treatment, or a legit one, and I'm sure the applications differ. Like for some I hear you have to use the cream forever because once you stop, your skin peels or something like that.

Lol! My bad homie. On my phone and kind of half-assed reading the post.

They sell a rack of skin bleaching creams in the beauty supply store. I'm sure them rich folk use something off a higher quality tho.

Its harder to say female celebrities have been bleaching because they're always wearing make up. Could be a bad makeup job or the reflection of the light off the makeup.

Sosa on the other hand most def has been bleaching and should be ashamed of himself.
True about the makeup part, though I wouldn't put it past Nicki. Before those pics of her when she was younger came out, I didn't know if her *** was real or not. Or her boobs. But in her younger pics, she was flat af and she looks dark, face and arms, so I think she has some lightning done.

True about the makeup part, though I wouldn't put it past Nicki. Before those pics of her when she was younger came out, I didn't know if her *** was real or not. Or her boobs. But in her younger pics, she was flat af and she looks dark, face and arms, so I think she has some lightning done.

True. Her butt is definitely fake tho. That ain't even debatable lol

I had a talk with my pops yesterday where he basically blamed all of hiphop & called them traitors & house ******. And while some of these dudes really ain't about **** i tried to thoroughly explain to him that Every rapper, & most importantly arguably the two best rappers of this generation are trying to steer **** in the right direction. Then i See these two right here and can't do anything but applaud. This isn't to say they are changing the world, but for the first time in a long time i'm seeing guys HAMMER this message to America.

I don't think he was saying that all of the employees should be black...but in a city like LA...it's a little ****** up that there's not ONE on the staff.

If you really look at the city of L.A it's really not as diverse as you would think. According to wiki its
only 9.6% black. I'm pretty sure most of the black people are localized in a few areas like most cities.
This isn't B-more, D.C or even ATL, plus the terrible transportation system in L.A just playing the
advocate. But there is no way in hell , I'm not having representation of my people in the highest chairs of
my business ever!

Last edited:
BY BEN LESTER
Comedy in 2014 was sort of an enigma. And I’m referring strictly to films that landed in theaters, because we’re all aware that Netflix killed it with their specials this year. Aside from a select few (Birdman, 22 Jump Street, Chef, Neighbors, St. Vincent, and I guess Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues) the genre was severely misrepresented. In the past several months alone films like Dumb and Dumber To, Horrible Bosses 2 (stop the sequels!), and the ill-timed Let’s Be Cops practically came and went without so much as a sound. Sure they all made their money back, but that’s largely contributed to first weekend sales when audiences were none the wiser. Once the reviews dropped and the audience reception sank faster than Kreayshawn’s career, it was a wrap. Looking back even further, there was Tammy, Sex Tape, another goddamned Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore flick, and A Haunted House 2 (sigh), clearly leaving more to be desired from America’s favorite genre.

Then there’s Chris Rock, who came out of nowhere after a slew of voice-over animated films and starring in two vastly disappointing (and embarrassing) installments of Grown Ups. This time around, Rock returned to his prime form with Top Five. Directing and starring, Rock’s finely-tuned comedy hits all the right notes without making a single desperate reach for laughs. For weeks leading up to the film’s release, Rock’s promotional run for Top Five stands in a league of its own. Straying away from goofy, haphazard comedy that ultimately resides in anything Sandler touches these days, Rock fully immersed himself in the culture this film was made for. From penning powerful essays on the “white industry” of Hollywood in The Hollywood Reporter and giving an impeccable interview to the New York Times, to participating in a “Top Five” rap round table with esteemed industry folks like Angie Martinez and Miss Info, Rock knew exactly what he was doing. And with the film hitting theaters today, the promo doesn’t end. If you’re in the right place at the right time, you just might see America’s favorite comedian pop up at your theater. To sum up his promotional run, Rock put his finger back on the pulse of comedy and refuses to let up.

Top Five, for all intents and purposes, is an examination of where comedy stands today. Sandler pulled a similar move back in 2009 with Funny People, but for whatever reason it failed to truly resonate with its audiences. Funny People followed a dying comedic actor George Simmons (Sandler), facing the inevitable of his terminal cancer. Bolstered by a career of horrific comedies like Mer-man, Simmons made an attempt to make all things right with his loved ones after a life of indulgence and self-serving ambitions. Up until the last few scenes, it was too late for Sandler’s character. Despite all his riches, his legacy was tarnished, his relationships soured, and his cancer-stricken life was in turmoil. While the first portion of the film was downright hilarious, it veered left into clinical depression before you even knew what hit you.

Top Five is an optimistic approach to the same lesson. Andre Allen (Rock) is a successful comedian-turned-actor who built his fame off the series Hammy the Bear. In an attempt to revitalize his tarnished brand and be taken more seriously as a thespian, Allen promotes his historical depiction of the Haitian slave rebellion. His latest feature is tanking as audiences clamor for another Hammy sequel, while his televised wedding with Erica Long (Gabrielle Union) is poised to be the biggest event of the year. Hoping to get an honest interview, he agrees to meet Chelsea Brown (Rosario Dawson) from the New York Times. Throughout the film, Chelsea follows Andre around the city as he promotes Uprize and initiates a series of fast-paced dialogue to get the honest truth from a waning star.

During his time with Chelsea, Andre reveals that the height of his comedy reign was attributed to his alcohol addiction. Since going cold turkey at the behest of Erica, Andre suffered from insecurities about his career. Was alcohol the only cause of his celebrity? Chelsea brings out the best in Andre and throughout Top Five we see his confidence slowly but surely return to top form. Compared to Funny People, Top Five is an optimistic interpretation to self-redemption and hits all the right notes, while avoiding cheesy sentiments.

A lot can be said about Chris Rock and Rosario Dawson’s performance. The organic chemistry easily contributes to their relationship as being one of the most entertaining watches of the year. Right off the bat, we are introduced to these dynamic, opinionated individuals who hold zero punches and seamlessly interact with one another while examining modern culture. And despite their confidence, each of their character’s are hiding from something. Chelsea hides behind her various pseudonyms, afraid that the content she produces isn’t worth attaching her real identity to, while Andre hides from his comedic gift in fear that his alcoholism was his only card. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realize the chemistry between the two characters and how this film will ultimately play out, but what’s so brilliant about Top Five is it’s propensity to avoid any overbearing Hallmark moments that can usually plague a well-written comedy.

While I was always excited to check this out, I wasn’t sure if Top Five would make the faulty mistakes that so many comedies tend to have, but it more than delivered on several occasions. On top of powerhouse performances from Rock and Dawson, Top Five boasted an incredible about of supporting acts including Jerry Seinfeld’s strip club antics, Kevin Hart’s on-point commentary on office relationships from the perspective of a black man, and Cedric the Entertainer’s player ways in Texas. I always pay attention to an audience when I sit in screenings. I like to observe what makes them laugh, what keeps them invested, and what turns them off. Top Five doesn’t have any characteristics of the latter, just a brilliant performance on behalf of its entire cast and a relatable narrative that everyone can take something from.

In a year of misguided comedies, short-winded blockbusters, and discouraging run of few hits and more misses, Top Five pulls the 4th Quarter move and exudes the essence of not only what comedy is about, but filmmaking on a grander scope. Welcome back Chris Rock. We’ve missed you.

We talk about supporting black films, well this is def one that Chris Rock has put together & isn't funded by the huge corporations. It has an great supporting cast of black actors in it.

Gonna go see it at 2 PM.  Just like we're boycotting Exodus we should support this movie.

Also for everyone who was involved in the convo of black celebs & rappers touching on social topics this interview is AMAZING, it's mostly talk about Ferguson, The power and direction of hiphop, the whitewashing of black music, and consumerism Capitalism in general.

man, ****** don't want any parts of self accountability... 

soon as the topic comes up, people get defensive and take it as "conforming FOR the man" and start calling people uncle toms or whatever other clever diss they wanna throw out there. 

we're (black people) different....and our differences make us great and unique and intriguing and beautiful  ... so it's not about changing for anyone 

but at the end of the day black lives don't even matter to us either  --- they only seem to matter when the shooter plays for another team 

we glorify killing each other for as little as being disrespectful and then dance to the **** ..... but then turn around and march for a ***** that got killed by a white man for no reason (white civilians, not cops) .... radio playing "Hot *****" then trying to be all pro-black during the break.... 

that's the **** that gets on my nerves 

we're already being treated like **** by the system ... then to make it worse we treat each other like **** on top of that. 

Been repping you lately Mr. Marcus. Saw you in the wahlberg (purposely undercase) unloading some logic and knowledge.

Great Cole interview though. At what point is stuff just simply deliberate though? I'm not sure if Angie controls what records get played, but if you chopped it up with Cole in the interview and then as soon as he leaves you're playing the same music he's referring to.....when is one accountable for that?

I kind of wondered similar stuff with Pac. How can one be around Pac so much (Snoop, Suge, Treach, etc) and not realize that one should be doing the exact stuff he was advocating for?

Back
Top Bottom