Best Albums of the Year. (Mixtapes are a different thread).

lana-del-rey-born-to-die-600x600.jpg

Beach House - Bloom
Chromatics - Kill for Love
Grimes - Visions

Those are my personal top three. I disagree that it's been a poor year for music. There have been many excellent releases in my opinion.

Other strong releases include:

Burial - Kindred EP
Spiritualized - Sweet Heart Sweet Light
The Men - Open Your Heart
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
Fort Romeau - Kingdoms
Kwes - Meantime. EP
Julia Holter - Ekstasis
Frankie Rose - Interstellar

We also have new records by The xx and Flying Lotus to look forward to. Maybe a new one from Animal Collective too (has it really been three years since MPP?)

P4L

I'm always looking for new music to listen to. Thanks Op for the Mina Tindle reco.Also that Chromatics album is too
pimp.gif
. A few skipable tracks but very solid.

^ No problem. Hope you like it.
Originally Posted by APH

Originally Posted by Noskey

4. Chromatics, Kill for Love
They actually released a drumless version of album for free download. You should snag it if you haven't already. (I haven't listened to either version, so I don't know if it's worth the download, but just wanted to point it out in case you're not aware.)
Oh, I'm aware. Just havent gotten around to it either
laugh.gif
I dunno, I'm hesitant to listen since the drums were so good on the original. But I'm sure I'll listen soon.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

I disagree that it's been a poor year for music. There have been many excellent releases in my opinion.

Agreed. It's been more of a quality > quantity year imo. Not too many good releases, but the ones that are, are great.

Supplemental post. A couple tracks from the above records.

First, Beach House's Lazuli. This is the track of the year for me. It is the perfect pop song.

Chromatics put out a record that sounds like a movie score. It is epic. If you enjoyed the music from the Drive soundtrack, you'll find similarities in the sound here since Johnny Jewel, member of Chromatics, Glass Candy, AND Desire, contributed to that record.

This track is right up there with Lazuli for me. It's that good. It's part of a four-track-long EP that is excellent. I want more from this guy.

I've been listening to Grimes since her earliest recordings. It's been amazing watching her grow these past three years. She's about to tour Canada on a train with Diplo and Skrillex if that means anything.

and some more

It's not quite stacking up to 2009. Still, better than last year. Last year was disappointing as hell.

Someone PM a link to where you guys keep up to date on all these new music releases. The one site I used to frequent is no longer bringing it, so I've been out the loop for some time now.
frown.gif

But I've really been digging Norah Jones new album, and y'all are playing yourselves if no one lists Future's Pluto on their top ten list. 

pimp.gif

It's not quite stacking up to 2009. Still, better than last year. Last year was disappointing as hell.

Thought I was the only one who thought 2009 was the last GREAT year for music. So many classic/solid albums came out that year

I usually just stick with 90's hiphop but I've been looking to branch out since I was put on to the Black Keys this winter. Some good suggestions in here.

Pitchfork just gave Beach House's 'Bloom' a 9.1
Pitchfork didn't even review The Mars Volta album and they gave Bloom a 9.1?
indifferent.gif

This year has been okay. Nothing spectular has released yet imo. 

I really like the honeycomb track from Animal Collective though, its neat
smokin.gif

Eh, Pitchfork's rating dont matter to me too much anymore, but a 9.1 is always good to see. Really dont think it's better than Teen Dream, but still.

Great thread.  I have been meaning to check out the Chromatics album and the new beach house album

But for me KRIT has the best "album" this year.

Need to hear the new Silversun Pickups too heard that was good.

I have yet been able to sit through that Lana Del Ray album without getting bored with it.

But Norah Jones' most recent album is amazing, love the sound she went for. It's more "darker" than her usual sultry vocal jazz.
I'm trying to think of other albums this year that has had an amazing effect on me and I'm having a hard time doing that, Robert Glasper's was good, but it's not even my favorite album by him.
That Santigold album was really good, so I'll probably add that one. I can't think of any hip hop albums.

Beach House - Bloom
Santigold - Master of My Make-Believe
ScHoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions

So far there are the only releases I think are in the running. I was disappointed by a few releases this year...some artists were faced with the difficult follow up to their first album I feel like.

Why does LDR have her own thread?!? Instead you got so many garbage artists with threads, how about we discuss someone who is actually talented

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Why does LDR have her own thread?!? Instead you got so many garbage artists with threads, how about we discuss someone who is actually talented

There is a Lana thread somewhere around here. Havent seen it in a while, but yeah... like I said there's a lot of hate around her because dudes think she's nothing more than a product of a record label. Even on here some dudes say that.

I agree though; but this being a rap dominated board, there aren't enough fans of anything else to keep these non-rap threads sustained. Ce la vie.

Back
Top Bottom