Being a minimalist

image.jpeg

Is this thread a sign for me

I'm not becoming one but more curious of the lifestyle of those that made the change or grew up in that type of lifestyle.

How long did it for you to fully commit?
Was it a lot for you to give up?
Was you in a relationship when you made the decision and did it affect your partner?
How much many did you save in the long run?
Did you say F it?
Was it to save money for other luxuries?
Is this just a new trendy lifestyle like living in a micro apartment?

I'm trying to become one LOL
I'm working on down sizing my wardrobe, already did it to a lot of other stuff like paper, music, it's pretty calming
I try now to buy only accessories but lets be honest some people see somethings that they just have to splurge on, i'm no different.
and if it puts a couple more dollars in my pocket cool i could use it, especially with the price of things rising in today's times.
an access of things cluttering and making stuff hard to find it a no no

well actually that's how they had the motel room laid out.. Currently living in a motel with all my stuff at the moment since i don't want to sign a year lease. since i only need to be here till end of the year / January

How long did it for you to fully commit?
I've been trying for a few years but it's been gradual for me. First, it started with clothes, then accessories, now I'm starting on other personal effects.

Was it a lot for you to give up?
Not really, no. But I imagine for some folks, it maybe a big challenge.

Was you in a relationship when you made the decision and did it affect your partner?
We both mutually agree. That and we move around a lot so the less we carry, the better!

How much many did you save in the long run?
Not sure but hopefully it contributes less to hoarding and more to a minimal lifestyle.

Did you say F it?
No, it's a journey. I hope to get to a happy place one day. I have kids so their stuff is pretty much unavoidable. I've reused every item that I could possibly re-use as to be cost effective and minimal as we can be.

Was it to save money for other luxuries?
We usually divert funds to experiences: traveling, family memories, investment in education for the kids, or general retirement fund.

Is this just a new trendy lifestyle like living in a micro apartment?
No, at least, I don't feel it is. Everyone should try being a minimalist one day!

I have a capsule wardrobe that I rotate. I also include shoes in the capsule so I don't overspend or get tempted to buy new items. I'm going on 5 years of not having to buy new clothes, or matching accessories! I only replace items that have been damaged or no longer fit.

There's a company called kasita that makes very cool and modern minimalist homes and they're based here in Austin. They're about 150k,which isn't bad, I don't think.

My apartment now is about 785 sqft, and I sometimes feel like this is too much space. When I drive around ubering, I love seeing the modern, futuristic homes, and these seem like a starter version. I even see that they have jobs available, so I may apply. I swear I can't imagine living in a huge mansion by myself. That's just too much space.

The dude that designed these lived in a dumpster sized home for a year to understand how to save space. I love how they maximize space by turning the stairs into drawers and tucking away the bed.

I was a "minimalist" in college as well lol
Weren't we all ? Loans, multiple jobs, no choice but be a minimalist.

But as a grown man fortunate enough with $$$, it's nice to be aware that when you have too much tangible belongings, it will own you from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom