Being a minimalist

Yeah..great..pocketed some money too lolol..transferring them to FC over the course of a month was a little exhausting tho

It's definitely a process. Been doing the same bro. Selling ain't easy. The work is worth the reward though.

I don't have that many shoes(like 20 or so) but I thought it was getting through life with as little "luxury" items as possible.

image.png

Lmao I honestly don't own much more than this. I have a rack that holds 12 pair of shoes and I feel like that's excessive. I'm kinda paranoid about spending though so that helps

'theres only so much a man needs in life, the rest is for showing off' -Forrest Gump

If I were wealthy, I still think i'ld have a pretty modest lifestyle. When I see outrageous closets the size of apartments or multiple cars, it just comes off as so excessive. Seems like it takes away from life.
That's our mindset now when we don't have money...thinking that we're gonna live a modest life when we become rich. Unless you're wealthy like Warren Buffet or Bill Gates and have nothing left to prove since people already know that they're wealthy, it might be difficult to live a modest lifestyle for most of us. We would all at least drive a nice car and have a decent house if we were rich.

There's nothing wrong with splurging a little if you got it.

What I understood from that Minimalist documentary is that in order to be happy, you should let go of all the unnecessary baggage. Like excess sneakers, clothes, etc. You don't need any of that garbage to be happy.

That's why I was :rofl: earlier in the thread when someone said they would be minimalist with John Elliot clothing.
92 USD for a blank white tee. What the hell!? :lol:

I feel like some people have the message all upside down.

-Drew

What I understood from that Minimalist documentary is that in order to be happy, you should let go of all the unnecessary baggage. Like excess sneakers, clothes, etc. You don't need any of that garbage to be happy.

That's why I was :rofl: earlier in the thread when someone said they would be minimalist with John Elliot clothing.
92 USD for a blank white tee. What the hell!? :lol:

I feel like some people have the message all upside down.

-Drew
The documentary seems like it's for the birds

The documentary seems like it's for the birds

To an extent I can actually agree.

But I do believe buying things in excess is just flat out useless and can go against you in some way.

Mostly everyone I know is guilty of this. Myself included.

-Drew

there was a bigger thread about this and the doc, actually it may not have been much bigger (pause) but an older thread with a few other different views

I don't have that many shoes(like 20 or so) but I thought it was getting through life with as little "luxury" items as possible.

I don't think minimalism is about forced cessation from luxury items and other nice things. Rather, I would say that it's about ridding yourself of frivolous things, whether luxury or not.

How long did it for you to fully commit?
- I wouldn't call myself a minimalist in the 'true' sense of the word, but I strive to live modestly. I own more than 3 shirts, but I do regular donations and keep my material purchases to a minimum. Rather than just buying and collecting shoes all the time (or anything for that matter,) I try to 'curate' a few of my favorites.

Was it a lot for you to give up?
- Yes and no. I think most of the people on NT found their way here because of shoes, whether it was to find info or to simply admire. Spending all of that money just to effectively give it away was difficult, but I think it's better than holding on to it if it's not adding value to your life.

Was you in a relationship when you made the decision and did it affect your partner?
- :lol: @ was you. No. I don't think she would mind either way.

How much many did you save in the long run?
- I don't really gauge it in terms of money saved, just in terms of having freedom. Having some savings enables you to build credit, take vacations, buy higher quality items that last longer, etc. One example is my '03 Lexus GS 300. It's a "luxury" vehicle, but I felt comfortable spending on it because they are known to last and I like nice things. Bought it used with a little less than 100K mi. This past year, I was able to give it to my little brother with a little less than 150K. If he takes decent care of it, that same car can be passed down to our youngest brother. So on and so forth.

Did you say F it?
- In what way? I definitely noticed that I stopped other lifestyle habits around the same time, but not in the form of apathy. I just started caring about and focusing on other things.

Was it to save money for other luxuries?
- Not intentionally at first, but it's definitely an unintended benefit.

Is this just a new trendy lifestyle like living in a micro apartment?
- Personally, minimalism resonates with me a lot because of my beliefs, mainly those centering around Buddhism. As a whole I think it's trendy, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad or that it won't become a regular thing. Take computers for instance. A lot of people said that they were a trend, now they are an ubiquitous part of life. I'm not sure if minimalism will ever be quite as popular, but you get the gist.

Last edited:
How long did it for you to fully commit?
- Currently still in the process of adapting fully to the minimalist lifestyle. I still have an affinity for certain clothes, mainly crew neck sweaters & menswear due to my profession (Finance).

Was it a lot for you to give up?

- Yes & No. Yes, meaning I originally thought selling/giving away upwards of 80+ sneakers would be devastating but in actuality, it was quite liberating. I went from 100+ pairs to less than 10 now and I'm still trimming the fat, so to speak. As for my living conditions, I immensely hate clutter so I've cut down on excess junk in my crib. If it's not essential, I get rid of it

No, because as previously mentioned, my career warrants me to dress formal on a regular basis so I'm still trying to find the right balance of being minimal & having just enough work wear to cover the work weeks.

Was you in a relationship when you made the decision and did it affect your partner?
- I'm single but from the various women I dated &/or interact with, they don't seem to mind it. Honestly, most ppl want to eliminate the excess clutter in their life. So, when they see the lifestyle I live, they are quite intrigued.

How much many did you save in the long run?

- Thousands.

Did you say F it?
- Not really. Woke up one day and realized I'm inundated with junk. Hated living in clutter and wanted a more essential based lifestyle.

Was it to save money for other luxuries?
- Okay, here's the biggest misconception about minimalism and luxury items. Just because you're a minimalist doesn't mean you have to wear payless footwear. In fact, it's best to purchase quality items so it'll last longer. In 2015, I sold almost all my sneakers then bought a pair of Black Margiela Lows that was $250 and wore those bad boys every damn day for a year. I still wear Common Projects (just two pairs that I wear pretty religiously), and I drive a "nice car" yet I still consider myself a minimalist.

Is this just a new trendy lifestyle like living in a micro apartment?
- You can have a nice sized apt/house/townhouse and still live minimal. Living in squalor isn't a requirement for a minimalist.

I will say this, it does take A LOT of discipline to be minimalist but I believe the payoff is well worth the sacrifice. Also, don't follow the "conventional" rules of minimalism. Don't sell your car to buy some Pinto to fulfill someone else's preference for living minimal. The idea is to keep things minimal as YOU seem fit.

I really want to get down to a minimalist wardrobe. Going to take some work. Any tips would be great.

I really want to get down to a minimalist wardrobe. Going to take some work. Any tips would be great.

I think everyone has to find their own motivation, but here are a couple things that help me.

1. I Stopped Worrying about "Deals" - A lot of people buy things they don't need simply because they see "SALE" plastered everywhere. If you see a deal on something you're buying anyways, thats great. If you see a deal and feel the need to buy something, reflect on your reasoning.

2. I try to Focus on Value, not Price - This ties in with the point above, and can used as a way to avoid making regrettable impulse buys while also allowing you to spoil yourself once in a while. Personally, I ask myself "Will this add value to my life? Is that value something I need now? Will the knowledge of not having it cause inner turmoil, and if so, for how long?"

I think everyone has to find their own motivation, but here are a couple things that help me.

1. I Stopped Worrying about "Deals" - A lot of people buy things they don't need simply because they see "SALE" plastered everywhere. If you see a deal on something you're buying anyways, thats great. If you see a deal and feel the need to buy something, reflect on your reasoning.

2. I try to Focus on Value, not Price - This ties in with the point above, and can used as a way to avoid making regrettable impulse buys while also allowing you to spoil yourself once in a while. Personally, I ask myself "Will this add value to my life? Is that value something I need now? Will the knowledge of not having it cause inner turmoil, and if so, for how long?"

QFT

Back
Top Bottom