Banksy's Exit through the Gift Shop

Seen It.Have It.Love It
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Complete agree with the 'hype kills' sentiments. It made me want to crap on a canvas, put a wayfarer stencil on it, sign it and sell it to the highest bidder.

yea alot people believe it was all a hoax and that mr brainwash was just all hype and people just bought his stuff cuz banksy n the dude from obey  vouch for him, so people ran n paid crazy money for his stuff,,

Art ain't !%%$, and it hasn't been !%%$ every since Warhol left. Belieeee that.

Ain't nothing but a business and art itself is constantly trying to stay alive when it's completely irrelevant. Damn hypocrite(s). Art needs to reinvent itself, but it wont when everything that it is composed of is pure illusion and nothing real. Ain't nothing real no mo.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by SEND ONE

Graff is mostly getting your name up as much as possible and in difficult places. Doesnt always have a message. Most of the time it's on some "I was here" type steez.
And in real life, we refer to them as LOSERS.

i think your more of a loser if you dont have the courage to throw ur name up every where you go
keep a paint marker on deck
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

Ain't nothing but a business and art itself is constantly trying to stay alive when it's completely irrelevant. Damn hypocrite(s). Art needs to reinvent itself, but it wont when everything that it is composed of is pure illusion and nothing real. Ain't nothing real no mo.

Funny.

You think art "aint #+%*" because it has become nothing but "a business", and yet, you're allocating some kind of reverence for Warhol?...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Do you even know what Warhol was about, bro?...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Neither you nor I, nor anyone for that matter can "define" what "art" is. "Art" is open to interpretation...it's not some tangible thing you can objectively assess based on agreed upon definitions. Thus this idea of yours concerning "illusion" is kinda foolish. I mean really, what evidence (definitive) do you have to make such a claim?

The one thing that we can all agree upon, objectively, when it comes to art--is that Art is an Idea.

Now if you wanna say that the present ideas of our artistic era are unappealing to you, then that's cool; I can roll with that. But don't go and make outlandish statements when you probably haven't exposed yourself to much. This illusion that you see is probably a reflection of your own shortsightedness. If you wanna believe in "art" again, simply change the scenery--explore other ideas.

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Funny.

You think art "aint #+%*" because it has become nothing but "a business", and yet, you're allocating some kind of reverence for Warhol?...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Do you even know what Warhol was about, bro?...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Neither you nor I, nor anyone for that matter can "define" what "art" is. "Art" is open to interpretation...it's not some tangible thing you can objectively assess based on agreed upon definitions. Thus this idea of yours concerning "illusion" is kinda foolish. I mean really, what evidence (definitive) do you have to make such a claim?

The one thing that we can all agree upon, objectively, when it comes to art--is that Art is an Idea.

Now if you wanna say that the present ideas of our artistic era are unappealing to you, then that's cool; I can roll with that. But don't go and make outlandish statements when you probably haven't exposed yourself to much. This illusion that you see is probably a reflection of your own shortsightedness. If you wanna believe in "art" again, simply change the scenery--explore other ideas.

Art can't be defined. Schoppenhauer had a good phrase, cant find it right now...

Great movie, Banksy is a dope artist, amazing pieces of work. Another documentary I'd recommend is Waste Land.

About the only thing you said that's of any importance. The entire culture (this includes film, literature and music) needs to start a new movement. Back in the day we had impressionism, expressionism, dadaists, surrealism, etc. but what do we have today? The entire community needs to band together and get back to what the arts were really about: individual soulful expression.

I think MBW stole Banksy's style of art considering where he came from and how he got knowledge of street art and Graff. But I also think he's Banksy
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

About the only thing you said that's of any importance. The entire culture (this includes film, literature and music) needs to start a new movement. Back in the day we had impressionism, expressionism, dadaists, surrealism, etc. but what do we have today? The entire community needs to band together and get back to what the arts were really about: individual soulful expression.

The thing about these "movements" is that, they're hardly recognized and seen as such until 20-30 years after their inception. "Movements" don't happen in the present, in the sense that we're not cognizant of them while we're living through them.

There are "movements" presently occurring that we know nothing of because they also often tend to be isolated happenings--either by way of geography, culture, technique...etc.

Humanity nature and culture are not static things. There's constant flux. Art, more of less, concerns itself with humanity and is thus by association also always in flux. Additionally, and at the very least, Art is about ideas, and with the range of human ideas being infinite (forever evolving), you can bet your *** that so to is art--meaning "art movements" will always be birthed and buried.

Originally Posted by ca5perrr

ya movie is dope. not what i expected but real good film,
i met Shepard Fairey (OBEY) 2 weeks ago, he was down here in miami for art basel.

I really want to go to it this year, my Design Foundations professor was telling us about it but I'm broke. Guys like him are why I would want to go.

I saw this too. Excellent documentary.

and what I could not understand is why Invader (or so what the movie tells in the end) doesn't communicate with MBW anymore . Haters gon hate I guess.

Any writers in here? I have to check this out. Not sure how I feel about Banksy being that I've been writing for 10 yrs and street art just isn't my cup of tea. I do respect him and his ability to get up.

Back
Top Bottom