Bachelor Pad.

Seems like a terrible idea for your battery life? 
Even if it's charging the whole time it seems like it'd shorten the life of your battery to have the clock running like that all night. 

Originally Posted by nwt

Sorry if this has been posted, thought some of you may be interested:12 Days of Eames Holiday Giveaway http://www.smartfurniture.com/eames-giveaway.html
Hope I get a special gift from Santa Eames
pimp.gif

Sofa could not fit into the apartment doorway, awesome!

They told me it would come in pieces and be assembled here, and they brought the whole sofa in one piece.
No couch for Thanksgiving......any good site for modern sectionals (preferably by pieces) or love seats? It can't be any longer than 78" to fit through my doorway smh.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

NikeAirsNCrispyTees wrote:

My desk was $45 and it's a little over 6ft long and about as industrial as it gets for under $1,200 (word to Restoration Hardware).

I went to Home Depot, bought a door and two stainless steel saw horses and a pack of 1/4" screws. Done. I would recommend also looking at antique stores or architectural yards for older doors with character and maybe even some mildly rusted saw horses. A set of drawers or shelves can be had from Walmart, Ikea, or Target for $15.

So you just screwed the steel saw horses to the door from underneath?
What kind of door did you buy? I would obviously need a smooth one such as this (from the home depot site).

http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Wind...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

4fa5636c-d49f-4df8-8b5c-fc055067ce28_300.jpg

They also cut to the dimensions of your choosing at the store right?  Only because its 30" by 80" and I would need it more like 65-68" in length max

...and lastly, as cool as the saw horses would look, I would really prefer a drawer that I can have on one side to hide this PC tower. Its about 10" wide, 21" high, and almost 2 feet in depth.

A local cafe of mine has got these huge doors as tables and what they did to get around requiring a smooth surface was to put a pane of glass over the top, same dimensions as the door.

The doors have been left all manky with paint wearing off but it works. They look
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

You could also just get a thin peice of masonite for a few bucks and screw, nail, or glue it to the top. It takes paint or stain well, can be sanded for a texture look. I'm probably going to do the door as desk thing to, either that or just a solid piece of 1/2 or 5/8 inch plywood and parson's style (square, no taper) legs like this http://www.homedepot.com/...d=10051&catalogId=10053. You'd be looking at about 65$ for materials plus whatever nails/screws cost and much more sturdy than anything you buy in stores, especially ready to assemble stuff. I've even peeped some online instructables on how to use hardwood flooring to make desk and tabletops.

I found some couches I like http://www.ebay.com/itm/2...trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 if I can lowball them under 1700, or http://www.ebay.com/itm/2...rksid=p3984.m1438.l2649, or this one which I think is the same one on overstock http://www.ebay.com/itm/2...trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

They told me it would come in pieces and be assembled here, and they brought the whole sofa in one piece.
No couch for Thanksgiving......any good site for modern sectionals (preferably by pieces) or love seats? It can't be any longer than 78" to fit through my doorway smh.

i feel your pain. My sofas are 20mins away in a warehouse and they said the soonest they can get it to me would be friday. They wont even let me pick them up fml.

sick.gif

Why don't they crane it thru the window by the front porch?

Originally Posted by morningstar7777

I think the windows might be too tight to fit through. 
laugh.gif

They offered a 3rd party company to disassemble it for me to fit it into the couch into the apartment, but that's minimum 300$ extra....just told them to send it back.

I'm about to do some grocery shopping real quick and look up some stores....at this point I don't even care about a "man chair", I'll get a sectional with chaise if need be, just want something NOW. 
tired.gif

Couch was so perfect, once I saw them bring the entire sofa in one piece I already was shaking my head.

Originally Posted by morningstar7777

I think the windows might be too tight to fit through. 
laugh.gif

They offered a 3rd party company to disassemble it for me to fit it into the couch into the apartment, but that's minimum 300$ extra....just told them to send it back.

I'm about to do some grocery shopping real quick and look up some stores....at this point I don't even care about a "man chair", I'll get a sectional with chaise if need be, just want something NOW. 
tired.gif

Couch was so perfect, once I saw them bring the entire sofa in one piece I already was shaking my head.

$300 for disassemble a sofa, kill themself.

I really need a bed..............right now I just have a metal frame, no headboard. Kinda did it for cost savings when I first moved in, but now its kinda bothering me.

Where is a good place to start?

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

NikeAirsNCrispyTees wrote:
My desk was $45 and it's a little over 6ft long and about as industrial as it gets for under $1,200 (word to Restoration Hardware).

I went to Home Depot, bought a door and two stainless steel saw horses and a pack of 1/4" screws. Done. I would recommend also looking at antique stores or architectural yards for older doors with character and maybe even some mildly rusted saw horses. A set of drawers or shelves can be had from Walmart, Ikea, or Target for $15.
So you just screwed the steel saw horses to the door from underneath?
What kind of door did you buy? I would obviously need a smooth one such as this (from the home depot site).

http://www.homedepot.com/Doors-Wind...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

4fa5636c-d49f-4df8-8b5c-fc055067ce28_300.jpg

They also cut to the dimensions of your choosing at the store right?  Only because its 30" by 80" and I would need it more like 65-68" in length max

...and lastly, as cool as the saw horses would look, I would really prefer a drawer that I can have on one side to hide this PC tower. Its about 10" wide, 21" high, and almost 2 feet in depth.

I just measured the space I had, went to Home Depot, and picked the one I wanted. As far as cutting them down, you'll have to make that decision. The issue there is that most of the doors are hollow or have chip board on the inside to keep them light. If you cut it down, it may crack, chip, or just look like crap. If you have any kind of power saw at home, measure twice, cut once, and cut REALLY REALLY slowly and it should look fine. 
You can set your door on anything you want to make the "legs." You can just search "door desk" or something like that on Google and there are TONS of different ways to do it. I have an iMac so I didn't have a tower to worry about, but I would want to hide it too. Just make sure that you give it plenty of room to breathe and keep the back of the cabinet open. The other advantage is that you can just straight up staple all cords to the back of the desk out of sight and not feel bad because (should you need to) replacing the door would be $30. 

I never got around to it, but I have a roll of paper from Michael's and a paper towel holder that I was going to screw on the end so I could have paper for sketching/notes running from one end of the desk to the other, where the trash can is. I'm a designer/illustrator so I was constantly looking for my notebook/sketchbook and/or sketching on random pieces of paper.

I've recently moved out so that desk is in storage for the time being, but I loved it.

I was about to respond to Mez One's post to basically say what you did.  If you go that route, DON'T buy a hollow door if you plan on cutting it to size.  Also, use a level or some sort of straight edge clamped to the door as a guide for a circular saw to make sure you get a straight cut.  And use blue painters tape around the door where your cutting to help prevent splintering.  
If you want to and can do it, it's definitely cool to be able to work on simple projects like that.  The pane of glass on top is a good idea too.

Otherwise, Pottery Barn can be a little overpriced but they have the Bedford desk set that you can sort of create your own desk in terms of the file cabinets (they have one that accommodates a computer tower) and desktop.  Definitely less than $1000.

For anyone looking for cool art... check out my good friend's company...featured in many shows, etc etc..

my condo that i just purchased will be decked out in this! It is your OWN DNA!
0827_million-dollar-business_dna-11_400x280.jpg

RUG
Screen-shot-2011-10-12-at-5.44.59-PM.jpg

www.dna11.com

Has anyone who ordered from FAB experienced long delays from the time you placed the order to the time of delivery? I've ordered 2 different items that have taken over a month to get to me after being quoted "10-21 days". Just curious if this is just a fluke occurrence or if it happens to the NT brethren as well...

my foam mattress was on the ground after i moved back after college. when i finally moved into my own place, i didn't have a bed frame, and i had no idea how to shop for one. 

so i made a bed frame out of 5 gallon buckets, nuts bolts and washers, and a 1/2 inch sheet of wood board that i cut to fit under my mattress. got around to throwing a dust ruffle on it, and it looks like any other bed frame. cost under $40 and taking it apart and re-assembling it is really easy through my past 3 moves.

will post pics if any interest.

I would like to see it. I am going to try to build a king frame, high off the ground with slats so I can buy just a mattress and not have to get the box springs.

Originally Posted by villansfinest

my foam mattress was on the ground after i moved back after college. when i finally moved into my own place, i didn't have a bed frame, and i had no idea how to shop for one. 

so i made a bed frame out of 5 gallon buckets, nuts bolts and washers, and a 1/2 inch sheet of wood board that i cut to fit under my mattress. got around to throwing a dust ruffle on it, and it looks like any other bed frame. cost under $40 and taking it apart and re-assembling it is really easy through my past 3 moves.

will post pics if any interest.

....Sureee, ....Lets see this creation....

Well yea that's actually not bad since it isn't visible. I would trim the plywood so that it's narrower though and give yourself like 6 inches or more all around. That small amount of overhang from the bed won't create any instability. That way you roll out of bed real fast or jump into bed and don't have to worry about your shin hitting the wood.

Thanks guys!

Seriously, it's more stable than most other beds i've slept on. might be different if it was on hardwood floors or tile, but carpet keeps the buckets in place. All the pressure comes from the top down, and even when put through extreme tests like wrestling or valentines day it doesn't make any noise or have any moving/loose parts.

Back
Top Bottom