B-Ball Junkie (Book Excerpt)....How Drug Abuse Almost Killed Chris Herren

To answer some of the above....Eggie is coaching BABC Freshman now. I just saw him a couple weeks ago. Still looks in good enough shape to play

I coached Will Blalock for 4 years. I honestly didnt see him as an NBA prospect until his junior year in HS. Super athlete with great quickness. He matured a ton from sophomore to junior year. I remember him wanting to quit as a sophomore over playing time.Tough to rank guys but the above guys pretty much have the list covered. Turner, Herren, Penn, Brunson, Best.  I never personally saw Shabazz Napier in HS/AAU because I stepped away from the scene for a few years. An old school guy from Springfield  before my time was Vinny Del Negro. Also honorable mention as far as a high school player was Anthony Anderson ( Umass) and a guy people forget was Rumeal Robinson also before my time. 

To answer some of the above....Eggie is coaching BABC Freshman now. I just saw him a couple weeks ago. Still looks in good enough shape to play

I coached Will Blalock for 4 years. I honestly didnt see him as an NBA prospect until his junior year in HS. Super athlete with great quickness. He matured a ton from sophomore to junior year. I remember him wanting to quit as a sophomore over playing time.Tough to rank guys but the above guys pretty much have the list covered. Turner, Herren, Penn, Brunson, Best.  I never personally saw Shabazz Napier in HS/AAU because I stepped away from the scene for a few years. An old school guy from Springfield  before my time was Vinny Del Negro. Also honorable mention as far as a high school player was Anthony Anderson ( Umass) and a guy people forget was Rumeal Robinson also before my time. 

I saw Anderson play while he was @ Lynn English, may have been Lynn Tech, he was the real deal. His brother Antonio wasnt half bad either.

I saw Anderson play while he was @ Lynn English, may have been Lynn Tech, he was the real deal. His brother Antonio wasnt half bad either.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Antonio was a very late bloomer. The extra year at prep school did him good. I first met him as a 7th grader when his cousin introduced me to him. He was one of those guys who doesnt have a position, hes just a player

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Antonio was a very late bloomer. The extra year at prep school did him good. I first met him as a 7th grader when his cousin introduced me to him. He was one of those guys who doesnt have a position, hes just a player

I remember seeing the documentary about the squad. Went to rehab midseason
I need to check out both books which one should I read first or just go in order?

I remember seeing the documentary about the squad. Went to rehab midseason
I need to check out both books which one should I read first or just go in order?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Damn DoubleJ, you plowed through that book. That good huh. I hope Bill Simmons does a Podcast on this subject.

bostonmarc; thanks for all of the info. I know this is somewhat off topic, but if you had to rate the best PG's that you have seen come out of that area, who would be your top 5/7? You think Harren was that much better than Will Blaylock? I know they are different players but just asking.

Damn @ The Kareem Reid story. That was cool right there.

Also can you upload any of those videos you have so we can see for ourselves. I am not sure how to capture but you could do that and upload it to MegaUpload or something. Not sure if YouTube will be pressed and take it down.

My favorite quote in the book " Kareem Reid belongs in ****** wrestling"

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Damn DoubleJ, you plowed through that book. That good huh. I hope Bill Simmons does a Podcast on this subject.

bostonmarc; thanks for all of the info. I know this is somewhat off topic, but if you had to rate the best PG's that you have seen come out of that area, who would be your top 5/7? You think Harren was that much better than Will Blaylock? I know they are different players but just asking.

Damn @ The Kareem Reid story. That was cool right there.

Also can you upload any of those videos you have so we can see for ourselves. I am not sure how to capture but you could do that and upload it to MegaUpload or something. Not sure if YouTube will be pressed and take it down.

My favorite quote in the book " Kareem Reid belongs in ****** wrestling"

I know Chris Herren from two periods in my life. First time I played against him at an AAU Tourney (he played for BABC) and we was out at Fresno St. together. If you want to know how he really is, just ask me...you would be surprised.

I know Chris Herren from two periods in my life. First time I played against him at an AAU Tourney (he played for BABC) and we was out at Fresno St. together. If you want to know how he really is, just ask me...you would be surprised.

Wow an Eggie McRae reference...dude killed at PG. He gave us so much trouble when we played them.

Opponents and outsiders may see Chris as a supreme hothead...but if you really knew him and was in his inner circle there was not too many people as genuine as he is.

Wow an Eggie McRae reference...dude killed at PG. He gave us so much trouble when we played them.

Opponents and outsiders may see Chris as a supreme hothead...but if you really knew him and was in his inner circle there was not too many people as genuine as he is.

I am definitely going to pick this up. OC's to dope... I can relate
30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif

Glad he got help, he looks healthy.

I am definitely going to pick this up. OC's to dope... I can relate
30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif

Glad he got help, he looks healthy.

I've said it many times before but it's worth repeating: this guy used to just torture Hawaii when he would come to the Islands. In 1998 UH (which beat #2 Kansas with LaFrentz and Pierce that year) and Anthony Carter - who could really get up in his college years - played Fresno at home in the NIT for a chance to move on to NYC for the semifinals. Carter blew a dunk on a fastbreak at the end of the game that would have put them up five, I believe. Fresno went on to win by two, Herren danced on the scorer's table, and a fan threw a beer at his head.

Now that, I would love to see again.

I've said it many times before but it's worth repeating: this guy used to just torture Hawaii when he would come to the Islands. In 1998 UH (which beat #2 Kansas with LaFrentz and Pierce that year) and Anthony Carter - who could really get up in his college years - played Fresno at home in the NIT for a chance to move on to NYC for the semifinals. Carter blew a dunk on a fastbreak at the end of the game that would have put them up five, I believe. Fresno went on to win by two, Herren danced on the scorer's table, and a fan threw a beer at his head.

Now that, I would love to see again.

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

DoubleJ's...did he mention Jamal Jackson and Shannon Bowman in his book?

Shannon Bowman was a beast on the block and Jamal Jackson was probably the best player i ever played on a court with. If he wasnt killed so young he would have been in the NBA. He was better than Randell Jackson in my opinion. That was when i first met Herren. He was staying at Jamal Jacksons house for a weekend and Jamal brought him to an open gym we both used to play at

Back
Top Bottom