B-Ball Junkie (Book Excerpt)....How Drug Abuse Almost Killed Chris Herren

great read
pimp.gif

i'm going to buy this before the game tonight

i remember staying up late in HS to watch Fresno play. I remember the announcers saying that they couldn't explain why Chris was a bad free throw shooter. It all makes sense now

i'm going to buy this before the game tonight

i remember staying up late in HS to watch Fresno play. I remember the announcers saying that they couldn't explain why Chris was a bad free throw shooter. It all makes sense now

After making my initial post today from work I decided to go through some of the videos I have. Came across a game from 1997/1998

Fresno State at SMU

Herren-35 minutes, 33pts, 13/19 shooting, 6/11 from 3's, 5 steals.

All of this while the opposing crowd chanted "junkie, junkie"

Edit- And for anyone who is curious since this is a sneaker forum, Fresno was wearing these

After making my initial post today from work I decided to go through some of the videos I have. Came across a game from 1997/1998

Fresno State at SMU

Herren-35 minutes, 33pts, 13/19 shooting, 6/11 from 3's, 5 steals.

All of this while the opposing crowd chanted "junkie, junkie"

Edit- And for anyone who is curious since this is a sneaker forum, Fresno was wearing these

This is a hard book to put down. Took me close to 3 years to finish The Da Vinci Code, and I'm plowing through B-Ball junkie and am almost 1/2 way through.

One nugget that I liked reading about was Herren's experience at the McDonald's game. Herren didn't touch the ball once, and Kareem Reid made it his personal goal to embarrass him. Long story short, Reid did his thing to Herren and that was that....Herren's AAU team played Reid's a few weeks later and Herren told him "I'm gonna $**@ you up." Ended up giving Reid the business on the court and settled the score
pimp.gif

This is a hard book to put down. Took me close to 3 years to finish The Da Vinci Code, and I'm plowing through B-Ball junkie and am almost 1/2 way through.

One nugget that I liked reading about was Herren's experience at the McDonald's game. Herren didn't touch the ball once, and Kareem Reid made it his personal goal to embarrass him. Long story short, Reid did his thing to Herren and that was that....Herren's AAU team played Reid's a few weeks later and Herren told him "I'm gonna $**@ you up." Ended up giving Reid the business on the court and settled the score
pimp.gif

Finished the book yesterday....AMAZING read. The amount of drugs he did is insane, and also I'm shocked that he's still alive. Through it all, his wife stuck with him...

Finished the book yesterday....AMAZING read. The amount of drugs he did is insane, and also I'm shocked that he's still alive. Through it all, his wife stuck with him...

Wow

I remember when he was @ Fresno with Skip

I never knew bout the drug abuse

Can't wait for that ESPN 30 for 30

Oh and I heard that after he threw the ball and broke a kid's nose

He got the ball and scored lol

Don't know if it's true tho

Wow

I remember when he was @ Fresno with Skip

I never knew bout the drug abuse

Can't wait for that ESPN 30 for 30

Oh and I heard that after he threw the ball and broke a kid's nose

He got the ball and scored lol

Don't know if it's true tho

Finished the book in 1 day

Good read, I wish it had more details about his college life though. Seemed like he loved a good time in college and by the time he became pro he couldn't enjoy any of it. Maybe his 1st year in Denver.

Still crazy that he could play at that level while dopesick. Seemed like once he hit the gym it didn't matter what his body said, he was gonna get the job done.

I didn't realize how much money could be made balling overseas.

Finished the book in 1 day

Good read, I wish it had more details about his college life though. Seemed like he loved a good time in college and by the time he became pro he couldn't enjoy any of it. Maybe his 1st year in Denver.

Still crazy that he could play at that level while dopesick. Seemed like once he hit the gym it didn't matter what his body said, he was gonna get the job done.

I didn't realize how much money could be made balling overseas.

Damn DoubleJ, you plowed through that book. That good huh. I hope Bill Simmons does a Podcast on this subject.

bostonmarc; thanks for all of the info. I know this is somewhat off topic, but if you had to rate the best PG's that you have seen come out of that area, who would be your top 5/7? You think Harren was that much better than Will Blaylock? I know they are different players but just asking.

Damn @ The Kareem Reid story. That was cool right there.

Also can you upload any of those videos you have so we can see for ourselves. I am not sure how to capture but you could do that and upload it to MegaUpload or something. Not sure if YouTube will be pressed and take it down.

Damn DoubleJ, you plowed through that book. That good huh. I hope Bill Simmons does a Podcast on this subject.

bostonmarc; thanks for all of the info. I know this is somewhat off topic, but if you had to rate the best PG's that you have seen come out of that area, who would be your top 5/7? You think Harren was that much better than Will Blaylock? I know they are different players but just asking.

Damn @ The Kareem Reid story. That was cool right there.

Also can you upload any of those videos you have so we can see for ourselves. I am not sure how to capture but you could do that and upload it to MegaUpload or something. Not sure if YouTube will be pressed and take it down.

DC....Herren made it a point in the book to say how much he despised everything about Kareem Reid. He pulled no punches in saying so. It's such a good book. I'm not a huge reader, but it was so hard to put down. I think you would personally enjoy reading about his time @ Fresno playing for Tark.  There was some wild **#! that went on....
laugh.gif
  If you come across any vids or a podcast on Herren, PLEASE post them up.

Also...Hess, he did seem to enjoy playing ball in Denver. Spoke real highly of Issel, McDyess, Van Exel, etc. That being said, with the road he was on, I'm sure he would have found a way to really screw himself up had he stayed on as a Nugget.

*It was also great seeing how the C's opened their arms back up to him. Nice read about Marbury, PP, Allen, Garnett, etc all showing love to him and his son.

**There's another GREAT high school PG (not Boston) from Mass that folks are forgetting....Travis Best.

DC....Herren made it a point in the book to say how much he despised everything about Kareem Reid. He pulled no punches in saying so. It's such a good book. I'm not a huge reader, but it was so hard to put down. I think you would personally enjoy reading about his time @ Fresno playing for Tark.  There was some wild **#! that went on....
laugh.gif
  If you come across any vids or a podcast on Herren, PLEASE post them up.

Also...Hess, he did seem to enjoy playing ball in Denver. Spoke real highly of Issel, McDyess, Van Exel, etc. That being said, with the road he was on, I'm sure he would have found a way to really screw himself up had he stayed on as a Nugget.

*It was also great seeing how the C's opened their arms back up to him. Nice read about Marbury, PP, Allen, Garnett, etc all showing love to him and his son.

**There's another GREAT high school PG (not Boston) from Mass that folks are forgetting....Travis Best.

Blalock, Dana Barros, Wayne Turner and now Shabazz Napier are probably the best true 'city' PG's. somehow, 3 of those 4 are from Mission Hill projects. (& I've heard Eggie Mcrae's name but know nothing of him)

Then you have: Herren, Best, Scoonie Penn & Rick Brunson from elsewhere.

Blalock, Dana Barros, Wayne Turner and now Shabazz Napier are probably the best true 'city' PG's. somehow, 3 of those 4 are from Mission Hill projects. (& I've heard Eggie Mcrae's name but know nothing of him)

Then you have: Herren, Best, Scoonie Penn & Rick Brunson from elsewhere.

Wayne Turner > All, not even close really.

Jonathan Depina was no slouch either

Eggie McRae was a beast, think he is working with BABC these days.

Wayne Turner > All, not even close really.

Jonathan Depina was no slouch either

Eggie McRae was a beast, think he is working with BABC these days.

Back
Top Bottom