B-Ball Junkie (Book Excerpt)....How Drug Abuse Almost Killed Chris Herren

Just came across this on the BDL blog...

WOW.

I'm gonna pick this up ASAP.  It's a long read (link included), but it's worth it....his life would make a damn good movie. 

I was dead for 30 seconds.

That’s what the cop in Fall River told me.

He said that two EMTs had brought me back to life.

“Just shut the @%#% up,

Just came across this on the BDL blog...

WOW.

I'm gonna pick this up ASAP.  It's a long read (link included), but it's worth it....his life would make a damn good movie. 

I was dead for 30 seconds.

That’s what the cop in Fall River told me.

He said that two EMTs had brought me back to life.

“Just shut the @%#% up,

that's $%@!%! up.shooting up in front of ur kid
30t6p3b.gif

Mr. Frost is currently waiting to his nearest Barnes and Nobles in a Luke Harangody jersey going to pick up this book.

Mr. Frost is currently waiting to his nearest Barnes and Nobles in a Luke Harangody jersey going to pick up this book.

DC....good looks on that link. Some of the $$#$ he did on drugs...
30t6p3b.gif
Left the treatment center to see his son's birth, and got high on the way to the hospital and high on the way back to the center....damn

Can't wait for that 30 for 30 either....

DC....good looks on that link. Some of the $$#$ he did on drugs...
30t6p3b.gif
Left the treatment center to see his son's birth, and got high on the way to the hospital and high on the way back to the center....damn

Can't wait for that 30 for 30 either....

Does anyone remember how he played. I don't recall seeing him play before. But I remember reading an Athlon College Basketball preview Magazine when he was at Fresno and they called him a West Coast Jason Williams.

Does anyone remember how he played. I don't recall seeing him play before. But I remember reading an Athlon College Basketball preview Magazine when he was at Fresno and they called him a West Coast Jason Williams.

Here is a few facts/stories about Chris Herren. Disclaimer: I know Chris but I am not friends with him. Played with and against him in a few pickup games in high school. I am close with his agent and also know the co author of the book. Some of thesemight be public knowledge and some not. I am just finishing up the new book ( it has been in the works for a few years now)

- Once scored something like 83 points in an AAU game with around  17 three pointers in Orlando ( cant remember the exact stats it was 1993 I think)
- Once threw a one handed "pass" at a defenders face and broke his nose in the middle of a game.
- As a sophomore in high school he was only the third person to be voted All Scholastic by Boston Globe. The other 2- His brother and Patrick Ewing
- Was hooked on Oxycotin when he played for the Celtics. He would wait before games in uniform in the parking lot of the Garden for his dealer
- Good story about his brother. When he won the state title in the Boston Garden in the late 80's he already had t shirts printed up that he gave to his team on the court that said " We will repeat". The next year when they repeated he had new t shirts ready on the court that said " I told you so"
-Never wore socks when he played in high school

As far as what kind of player he was-

As tough a player as you will ever meet. He had that killer mentallity like a Kobe Bryant. Living in Mass and being around high school and aau ball for the last 20 or so years( yes Im getting old) I have never seen a player in the state with that kind of will to win. He had swagger before there was swagger. When he walked in a  gym , people feared to play against him. He could shoot it from deep, and could get to the rim on anyone in high school and college. Above average defender, whos toughness and ego helped him on that end of the floor. A whole generation of white basketball players Mass looked up to him. One of those "if he can make it to the NBA , why cant I" type things. When he played in denver he would come back in the summer and do camps in his hometown. When I was coaching I took a couple of my young players to meet him. He was great with them, talked to them, etc. To one of them it was the highlight of his life

And to one of the above posters- They are trying to selll his story as a full length movie.

Anyone else has any questions I will try to answer them  from what I know

Here is a few facts/stories about Chris Herren. Disclaimer: I know Chris but I am not friends with him. Played with and against him in a few pickup games in high school. I am close with his agent and also know the co author of the book. Some of thesemight be public knowledge and some not. I am just finishing up the new book ( it has been in the works for a few years now)

- Once scored something like 83 points in an AAU game with around  17 three pointers in Orlando ( cant remember the exact stats it was 1993 I think)
- Once threw a one handed "pass" at a defenders face and broke his nose in the middle of a game.
- As a sophomore in high school he was only the third person to be voted All Scholastic by Boston Globe. The other 2- His brother and Patrick Ewing
- Was hooked on Oxycotin when he played for the Celtics. He would wait before games in uniform in the parking lot of the Garden for his dealer
- Good story about his brother. When he won the state title in the Boston Garden in the late 80's he already had t shirts printed up that he gave to his team on the court that said " We will repeat". The next year when they repeated he had new t shirts ready on the court that said " I told you so"

As tough a player as you will ever meet. He had that killer mentallity like a Kobe Bryant. Living in Mass and being around high school and aau ball for the last 20 or so years( yes Im getting old) I have never seen a player in the state with that kind of will to win. He had swagger before there was swagger. When he walked in a  gym , people feared to play against him. He could shoot it from deep, and could get to the rim on anyone in high school and college. Above average defender, whos toughness and ego helped him on that end of the floor. A whole generation of white basketball players Mass looked up to him. One of those "if he can make it to the NBA , why cant I" type things. When he played in denver he would come back in the summer and do camps in his hometown. When I was coaching I took a couple of my young players to meet him. He was great with them, talked to them, etc. To one of them it was the highlight of his life

And to one of the above posters- They are trying to selll his story as a full length movie.

Played on one of the greatest, if not the greatest, AAU basketball teams ever assembled. This cannot be argued

Edit:

Read this too, book about him & his HS team:

396422.jpg

Played on one of the greatest, if not the greatest, AAU basketball teams ever assembled. This cannot be argued

Edit:

Read this too, book about him & his HS team:

396422.jpg

Originally Posted by bostonmarc

GREAT info....thanks for posting that.  I'm gonna go to B&N after work to pick up the book (as well as Fall River Dreams).  When I lived in NE, we would call Fall River "Falling" River cause it was a dump.  I haven't been back in the area for about 10 years, but how much has changed? 

As far as his life being made into a movie, I'd love to see Ben Affleck/Matt Damon get a hold of the project....they do right by projects outta Mass. 

Originally Posted by bostonmarc

GREAT info....thanks for posting that.  I'm gonna go to B&N after work to pick up the book (as well as Fall River Dreams).  When I lived in NE, we would call Fall River "Falling" River cause it was a dump.  I haven't been back in the area for about 10 years, but how much has changed? 

As far as his life being made into a movie, I'd love to see Ben Affleck/Matt Damon get a hold of the project....they do right by projects outta Mass. 

^^^^ Fall River is pretty much the same. There is a really good high school freshman from there who now plays  at Putnam Science Academy named Tyree Robinson. Check him out on youtube

^^^^ Fall River is pretty much the same. There is a really good high school freshman from there who now plays  at Putnam Science Academy named Tyree Robinson. Check him out on youtube

Back
Top Bottom