Asics Love?!? Where is it?

It's cool to see Asics picking up steam again after some years off...Can't say I am a fan of these styles they have been pushing hard lately, though. All the collabs and releases seem to be models in this similar style. I am probably in the minority since looks like the whole thread loves it lol.

I expected to see a few more GLV, wasn't it the anniversary? All we got were those Concepts joints.

I am still wearing all my old GL3 collabs :pimp:
Wore my BAIT Nippon Blues yesterday. That 2013-16 time period was the Golden Era of retro runner collabs, IMO.

Becoming? lmao where were you 8-10 years ago when Ronnie was slapping rope laces on GR GL3s and selling them out as kithstrikes? Look at the coves I just posted last page. Peak hypebeast asics era. East coast pack hit the streets of NYC like crack. Ppl said the same thing about dunks in 2020 lol...dunks been the hypebeast shoe since hypebeasts were born.

That being said, asics has evolved in really great ways. More collabs with people in the upper echelons of fashion like kiko, vivienne westwood, CDG. More GRs. Kiko taking over the sportstyle line led to so many great pairs. Skate line. And the overall popularity of y2k style the past couple years has been great for retro runners like NB 2002r, nike vomero/p6000, asics gel kayano 14.

I find this straight up runners stage strange. People are really wearing these shoes that people wore on 10Ks?

whats so strange about it? air maxes, new balances, even the gel lyte shoes were shoes originally designed and intended for actual running. we have court shoes designed for tennis being worn casually and even basketball shoes too. no clue why you think its strange considering how most people in general are buying running shoes (retro or modern) for day to day use.

IMG_5896.png

Anyone know what these are? Not even a fan of pink shoes but these are beautiful.

Have been really wanting a pair of gel nyc, dime 1130, or one of the newer trendier ones. I love the kiko sportstyle line. Still upset my blue protoblasts didn't fit right, those were so fire. I'll get to one of those eventually.

In the meantime, turned back the clock to the first asics hype run. Found these in my size for $33 at 2nd street. Uppers are a bit dirty but the color hasn't faded too much. Soles are still in great shape.

cove.jpg
Hit them with a suede eraser, they'll be good

whats so strange about it? air maxes, new balances, even the gel lyte shoes were shoes originally designed and intended for actual running. we have court shoes designed for tennis being worn casually and even basketball shoes too. no clue why you think its strange considering how most people in general are buying running shoes (retro or modern) for day to day use.

What I'm saying is strange is the sudden shift to liking these types of very runner style shoes. People wore Air Maxes and Jordans casually and have always been popular. I didn't think wearing Kinvara 9s would ever be the next hot thing. :lol:

What I'm saying is strange is the sudden shift to liking these types of very runner style shoes. People wore Air Maxes and Jordans casually and have always been popular. I didn't think wearing Kinvara 9s would ever be the next hot thing. :lol:
I think it’s a reaction to the availability/unavailability of certain nike shoes, and a big trend. And obviously trends are easier to pick up on with social media being so accessible these days. Running shoes have pretty much had popular collabs since the early 00’s. Those shoes just weren’t main stream popular and so no one cared as much because they weren’t plastered everywhere on social media. You literally had to be a sneaker head to be aware of certain releases. I remember seeing the Ronnie Fieg x asics gel lyte III super blues and being blown away! Copped those and ran them into the ground. I did the same thing with the culture shocks! Those are two really significant collabs but happened almost 15 years ago! Set the stage for everything Kith is today.

Becoming? lmao where were you 8-10 years ago when Ronnie was slapping rope laces on GR GL3s and selling them out as kithstrikes? Look at the coves I just posted last page. Peak hypebeast asics era. East coast pack hit the streets of NYC like crack. Ppl said the same thing about dunks in 2020 lol...dunks been the hypebeast shoe since hypebeasts were born.

That being said, asics has evolved in really great ways. More collabs with people in the upper echelons of fashion like kiko, vivienne westwood, CDG. More GRs. Kiko taking over the sportstyle line led to so many great pairs. Skate line. And the overall popularity of y2k style the past couple years has been great for retro runners like NB 2002r, nike vomero/p6000, asics gel kayano 14.

Personally I hate the collabs with those designers...Especially the Kiko and CDG ones. Every month I see 3 new Kiko shoes release, and they all look like ***. An over the top model in three boring colorways...Don't even get me started on CDG...Will either be black or white, cheap materials, and a marked up retail price.

I liked when Asics/NB/Saucony were collaborating with local sneaker shops or clothing boutiques...We saw some of the most original colorways then, and usually there was some interesting backstory, too.

Wore my BAIT Nippon Blues yesterday. That 2013-16 time period was the Golden Era of retro runner collabs, IMO.

100%, those were good times. I'll try to dig out some of my pairs, most of them are from around then.

Also, what do you guys think about the materials they are using these days? Asics and NB materials have for sure gone downhill as they gained more popularity...The pigskin suede/nubuck/leathers they were using on the 25th anni releases for example was really nice. The last few Asics I've gotten the suede is like synthetic suede, not too far off from what Nike has been using for years. I know a lot of companies are going hard on their carbon footprint and using recycled materials, but I find that these shoes are not as comfortable and also DO NOT hold up as well. I'd rather have a nice leather shoe that I can keep for years and years, as opposed to some cheap material that I'll need to replace sooner.

Back
Top Bottom