Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Celebrated Korean illustrator Kim Jung Gi dead at 47​

RIP. ASIAN EXCELLENCE

posted in the Attack on Asians thread. More of that kinda energy is needed. Less division.

George Tokoro
i-img1080x1080-1636713581fe72he34.jpg

i-img1200x900-1542202342ejjzwo18030.jpg

i-img900x1200-1652483546czzzao87952 (1).jpg

01014516950.jpg

Filipino chess legend Eugene Torre officially inducted into World Chess Hall of Fame​

• Filipino chess legend Eugene Torre, 70, was officially inducted into the World Chess Hall of Fame on Oct. 5 at the St. Louis Aquarium at Union Station in Missouri.
  • Torre was joined by his wife, Maria Lina, and Philippine-born American grandmaster Wesley So during the ceremony.
  • He now joins an elite list of the greatest to ever play the game, which includes Gary Kasparov, Anatoly Karpov, Robert James Fischer and Boris Spasky.
Filipino chess legend Eugene Torre is now a Hall of Famer.

ASIAN EXCELLENCE

Levi’s jeans from the 1880s auctioned for $76,000 has hidden reminder of America’s anti-Chinese past​

• A pair of Levi’s jeans that recently sold at an auction in New Mexico for $76,000 has the phrase "The only kind made by White Labor" printed in its inside pocket.
  • According to a representative from Levi’s, the slogan was used after the implementation of the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882, a federal law that banned Chinese laborers from entering the U.S.
  • While the act itself was not repealed until 1943, Levi's reportedly abandoned the racist slogan and its own anti-Chinese labor policy in the 1890s.
  • The jeans’ buyers, 23-year-old Kyle Hautner and vintage denim store owner Zip Stevenson, paid a total of $87,400, which includes the 15% buyer's premium.
  • The new owners said that while they would consider selling the jeans to “an extremely interested private buyer," they would prefer for them to be bought and displayed in a museum "such as the Smithsonian or the Metropolitan Museum of Art."
A pair of Levi’s denim jeans unearthed from a dark period in American history was recently sold at an auction for nearly $76,000.

i need to know the origin story of the kevin nguyen.. i went to college with a bunch of these types

i need to know the origin story of the kevin nguyen.. i went to college with a bunch of these types

Did you go to college in San Jose?

I was born in the city but my family moved to San Jose when I was 13.

My 8th grade year book had maybe 3-4 pages straight of Nguyens and I swear half of the guys’ names were Kevin.

That picture is how every Asian dude in San Jose dresses , so combine that with the Kevin Nguyen common name, and you get where the meme comes from :lol:

Funny thing is whenever my girl and I visit my family back in the Bay, she always mentions “I can tell you’re from here, you have the same black t shirt , gold chain, fade, and Japanese sleeve tattoo combo as every guy here”

It’s true though, out here in Chicago, my sleeve tattoo is pretty unique, and I constantly get random people commenting on it or asking me questions. Back home it’s just like the East San Jose uniform for Asians :lol:

Back
Top Bottom