Are you an Atheist? What Promted Your Choice?

I like seeing all the new faces every time we have an atheist thread.

As for the original question, I stopped going to church because of my parents divorce. my dad was catholic, my mother wasn't. then I just lived without church, god, or anything like that. never did I feel a need for religion/god.

My atheism strengthened when I was in high school and college. Studying history and political science, I saw all of the horrible things that religion has done and how it is just a tool to control the masses. Along with that, science has proven enough to me that religion has a bunch of its FACTS wrong. I can't take any religion serious when it is FACTUALLY INCORRECT. It's even worse when they try to teach it as truth.

I like seeing all the new faces every time we have an atheist thread.

As for the original question, I stopped going to church because of my parents divorce. my dad was catholic, my mother wasn't. then I just lived without church, god, or anything like that. never did I feel a need for religion/god.

My atheism strengthened when I was in high school and college. Studying history and political science, I saw all of the horrible things that religion has done and how it is just a tool to control the masses. Along with that, science has proven enough to me that religion has a bunch of its FACTS wrong. I can't take any religion serious when it is FACTUALLY INCORRECT. It's even worse when they try to teach it as truth.

Being a non religious person has helped me to empathize with a lot of other perspectives. Like I can almost understand how a gay person might feel about having to not be honest with themselves and just say how they really are. Its hard for atheists and agnostics to really speak openly about their thoughts without running into insurmountable opposition of opinion. If it wasn't for the internet, I don't know if I'd be more comfortable in realizing that it is ok to be non-religious and speak about it.

Being a non religious person has helped me to empathize with a lot of other perspectives. Like I can almost understand how a gay person might feel about having to not be honest with themselves and just say how they really are. Its hard for atheists and agnostics to really speak openly about their thoughts without running into insurmountable opposition of opinion. If it wasn't for the internet, I don't know if I'd be more comfortable in realizing that it is ok to be non-religious and speak about it.

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

Originally Posted by DunkNForce

No one really knows the truth.

Some people chose to believe what others have told them or persuaded them to believe in. (religious heads)

Others have chose to believe that the only person in control is themselves (realist/atheist?)

Then their are people that research all of it, pick and choose what they like, and apply it to their belief system. (agnostic/spiritualist)

Everyone goes around saying how everyone else's beliefs are flawed.

No body knows the truth, but we will sit and try to disapprove the other.

Be Respectful
Yeah. The part that's ridiculous to me is that atheists and those who are religious are the same thing, just on opposite ends of the spectrum. One claims to know that a god exists while the other claims to know a god does not exist. Based on what? They use the same logic on each other, just on opposite ends.
I mean, I can still see why someone would live their life either assuming their is or isn't a god, as long as they don't go around thinking they're better than the other. But, when either side takes a paternalistic tone towards the other, I conclude they're being a 
5a51504962d1f1f434645d8456a7725be17b110.gif

"The knowledge that the atoms that comprise life on earth - the atoms that make up the human body, are traceable to the crucibles that cooked light elements into heavy elements in their core under extreme temperatures and pressures. These stars- the high mass ones among them- went unstable in their later years- they collapsed and then exploded- scattering their enriched guts across the galaxy- guts made of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and all the fundamental ingredients of life itself. These ingredients become part of gas clouds that condense, collapse, form the next generation of solar systems- stars with orbiting planets. And those planets now have the ingredients for life itself. So that when I look up at the night sky, and I know that yes we are part of this Universe, we are in this Universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the Universe is in us. When I reflect on that fact, I look up- many people feel small, cause they're small and the universe is big. But I feel big because my atoms came from those stars. " 
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

Originally Posted by DunkNForce

No one really knows the truth.

Some people chose to believe what others have told them or persuaded them to believe in. (religious heads)

Others have chose to believe that the only person in control is themselves (realist/atheist?)

Then their are people that research all of it, pick and choose what they like, and apply it to their belief system. (agnostic/spiritualist)

Everyone goes around saying how everyone else's beliefs are flawed.

No body knows the truth, but we will sit and try to disapprove the other.

Be Respectful
Yeah. The part that's ridiculous to me is that atheists and those who are religious are the same thing, just on opposite ends of the spectrum. One claims to know that a god exists while the other claims to know a god does not exist. Based on what? They use the same logic on each other, just on opposite ends.
I mean, I can still see why someone would live their life either assuming their is or isn't a god, as long as they don't go around thinking they're better than the other. But, when either side takes a paternalistic tone towards the other, I conclude they're being a 
5a51504962d1f1f434645d8456a7725be17b110.gif

"The knowledge that the atoms that comprise life on earth - the atoms that make up the human body, are traceable to the crucibles that cooked light elements into heavy elements in their core under extreme temperatures and pressures. These stars- the high mass ones among them- went unstable in their later years- they collapsed and then exploded- scattering their enriched guts across the galaxy- guts made of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and all the fundamental ingredients of life itself. These ingredients become part of gas clouds that condense, collapse, form the next generation of solar systems- stars with orbiting planets. And those planets now have the ingredients for life itself. So that when I look up at the night sky, and I know that yes we are part of this Universe, we are in this Universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the Universe is in us. When I reflect on that fact, I look up- many people feel small, cause they're small and the universe is big. But I feel big because my atoms came from those stars. " 
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

I was very religious growing up. Not because I was forced, but out of my own volition. I would attend church by myself every Sunday until around grade 8 or 9.
I compare my belief in God to my belief in Santa Claus (I am not trying to offend, please keep reading)

I believed in Santa Claus because I was taught to. As I grew and learned, I came to the realization that the things he was supposed to do were impossible. Though, I still believed in him for the sake of my parents who enjoyed it every holiday season.

I got to that point with Christianity. I believed alot of what was recorded in the Bible and in the theology to be impossible, but kept attending because of the people and the overall message.

Eventually, I felt that it was selfish for me to pretend to believe, so I stopped attending. I have great respect for sense of community religion usually promotes, but the faith aspect is something, as I have grown, I have come to question.
*insert[therockclapping.gif]

That was exactly the case with me. Also, not to offend, but I find that I compare religion to Santa in other ways too. You let your kids believe in Santa because it's what makes them happy. As such, I'm really happy for people who are convicted in their faith and happy being religious because if believing in that and practicing that is what they need to get through then that's great! I personally don't think it's real, but if other people want to believe in it then more power to them!

That being said, I could never be in a serious relationship with a religious person. Not because I don't like religious people (I really couldn't care less about people's religion), but because that's a huge, important part of his life that I CAN never and WILL never be a part of. If something is really really important to my SO, I want to be a part of it, and I just absolutely cannot sign on with religion.

Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

I was very religious growing up. Not because I was forced, but out of my own volition. I would attend church by myself every Sunday until around grade 8 or 9.
I compare my belief in God to my belief in Santa Claus (I am not trying to offend, please keep reading)

I believed in Santa Claus because I was taught to. As I grew and learned, I came to the realization that the things he was supposed to do were impossible. Though, I still believed in him for the sake of my parents who enjoyed it every holiday season.

I got to that point with Christianity. I believed alot of what was recorded in the Bible and in the theology to be impossible, but kept attending because of the people and the overall message.

Eventually, I felt that it was selfish for me to pretend to believe, so I stopped attending. I have great respect for sense of community religion usually promotes, but the faith aspect is something, as I have grown, I have come to question.
*insert[therockclapping.gif]

That was exactly the case with me. Also, not to offend, but I find that I compare religion to Santa in other ways too. You let your kids believe in Santa because it's what makes them happy. As such, I'm really happy for people who are convicted in their faith and happy being religious because if believing in that and practicing that is what they need to get through then that's great! I personally don't think it's real, but if other people want to believe in it then more power to them!

That being said, I could never be in a serious relationship with a religious person. Not because I don't like religious people (I really couldn't care less about people's religion), but because that's a huge, important part of his life that I CAN never and WILL never be a part of. If something is really really important to my SO, I want to be a part of it, and I just absolutely cannot sign on with religion.

Originally Posted by Napoleon

If it wasn't for the internet, I don't know if I'd be more comfortable in realizing that it is ok to be non-religious and speak about it.
No wonder ya'll go so hard on here
laugh.gif
Can't hate on that...

If it wasn't for the internet, I don't know if I'd be more comfortable in realizing that it is ok to be non-religious and speak about it.
laugh.gif
Can't hate on that...

Saying Atheism is a religion is like saying, "not collecting stamps is a hobby."

and I do credit the internet in bringing out some of my atheism.  no shame in that.  i have been a lot more open with it because of the internet.

Saying Atheism is a religion is like saying, "not collecting stamps is a hobby."

and I do credit the internet in bringing out some of my atheism.  no shame in that.  i have been a lot more open with it because of the internet.

Originally Posted by 0cks

laugh.gif
Can't hate on that...

laugh.gif
 This aint no dinner conversation, especially in the South
tired.gif
. I'm very open about my non-religiousness in real life tho with most people...... 

Originally Posted by 0cks

laugh.gif
Can't hate on that...

laugh.gif
 This aint no dinner conversation, especially in the South
tired.gif
. I'm very open about my non-religiousness in real life tho with most people...... 

i was raised in a pretty strict catholic household. grew up playing piano in the choir and all that.

when i got to college, i kept going. every week in fact. in some ways it was a respite from the stress of college life. but looking back, i never really paid attention to the readings or the sermons. i was there because i needed to belong to something. the power of numbers is pretty compelling. it's a comforting feeling knowing that you're surrounded by hundreds of people who are all kind of working towards the same thing. the problem is, i'm not sure i ever believed in that "thing"....

now that i've graduated, i still go. it's hard to explain why. it certainly isn't every week anymore. and the more i go, the less sense any of it makes.

so here i am at 32... and i still don't know what i believe in. i think ultimately i am headed towards a mild version of agnosticism. i just have too many questions that i don't think can ever be answered. where did god come from? with the size of the universe, how can there not be something else out there? did i just get lucky by being "born into" the right religion, and all those other 5 billion people are screwed? at the same time, however, i'd be lying if i said i didn't feel some sense of comfort when i sit in a pew on sunday. regardless, just imagine if we put all the energy we spend fighting about religion into helping each other.

and then there's the huge white elephant in the cathedral: i've only recently been able to admit to myself that i'm gay. imagine growing up in an entire institution only to slowly realize that it does not accept or support you. where then do you turn? it might seem like a no-brainer, but after 30 years how do you turn your back on something you've come to depend on in a way?

so that's where i am.

[sorry guys, i didn't intend to type all that when i first entered this thread... just sort of came out (so to speak). i've never mentioned my sexuality on NT before, and never felt like i owed anyone that, but it's been a trying year for me.]

i was raised in a pretty strict catholic household. grew up playing piano in the choir and all that.

when i got to college, i kept going. every week in fact. in some ways it was a respite from the stress of college life. but looking back, i never really paid attention to the readings or the sermons. i was there because i needed to belong to something. the power of numbers is pretty compelling. it's a comforting feeling knowing that you're surrounded by hundreds of people who are all kind of working towards the same thing. the problem is, i'm not sure i ever believed in that "thing"....

now that i've graduated, i still go. it's hard to explain why. it certainly isn't every week anymore. and the more i go, the less sense any of it makes.

so here i am at 32... and i still don't know what i believe in. i think ultimately i am headed towards a mild version of agnosticism. i just have too many questions that i don't think can ever be answered. where did god come from? with the size of the universe, how can there not be something else out there? did i just get lucky by being "born into" the right religion, and all those other 5 billion people are screwed? at the same time, however, i'd be lying if i said i didn't feel some sense of comfort when i sit in a pew on sunday. regardless, just imagine if we put all the energy we spend fighting about religion into helping each other.

and then there's the huge white elephant in the cathedral: i've only recently been able to admit to myself that i'm gay. imagine growing up in an entire institution only to slowly realize that it does not accept or support you. where then do you turn? it might seem like a no-brainer, but after 30 years how do you turn your back on something you've come to depend on in a way?

so that's where i am.

[sorry guys, i didn't intend to type all that when i first entered this thread... just sort of came out (so to speak). i've never mentioned my sexuality on NT before, and never felt like i owed anyone that, but it's been a trying year for me.]

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

so that's where i am.

I see where you're coming from. I def feel you on the "learning your society won't accept/support."
Respect.

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

so that's where i am.

I see where you're coming from. I def feel you on the "learning your society won't accept/support."
Respect.

Wow this thread seems to be therapeutic for alot of people here. Tim's post is some pretty real stuff...props

Wow this thread seems to be therapeutic for alot of people here. Tim's post is some pretty real stuff...props

Long Article by Ricky Gervais.. But it is still a very good article although some people will discredit it based on who it is written by. But still pretty much a summation of why/how I became an atheist also.

[h1]A Holiday Message from Ricky Gervais: Why I’m An Atheist[/h1]

Why don’t you believe in God? I get that question all the time. I always try to give a sensitive, reasoned answer. This is usually awkward, time consuming and pointless. People who believe in God don’t need proof of his existence, and they certainly don’t want evidence to the contrary. They are happy with their belief. They even say things like “it’s true to me

Back
Top Bottom