Anyone trying to become a doctor

Originally Posted by scshift

There are other high paying jobs. Someone mentioned Petroleum Engineering. The average starting salary for a college grad with 4 year degree is $95,000. The median salary is about $150,000. That's balling

Real talk right here...for a while, I actually entertained the idea of getting a degree in Petroleum Engineering. Why did I consider it? Because I was thinking only in terms of the money I'd make when I graduated. But then I reality hit me--anytime and every time I've made a decision solely because of money (making more of it), I've regretted it.

I'm really just one of those people who really could not give a damn about ballin' or living up to society's objective definition of successful. Success for me is all about happiness--a happy state of mind. I already have two degrees in the sciences. I realized that going further up the scientific career totem-pole (MS, Ph.D, MD., w/e...etc) was just not for me because my heart just wasn't in it anymore.

Rather than grad, I just began studies on the other side of the academic spectrum and I am loving every minute of. Looking back, I think that had there not been some sort of expectation that I get into a S.T.E.M field, I would likely have embarked on my present academic track much earlier or in concurrence with my studies in the sciences, because I genuinely do enjoy "science". I just can't see myself working within it. 

Originally Posted by scshift

There are other high paying jobs. Someone mentioned Petroleum Engineering. The average starting salary for a college grad with 4 year degree is $95,000. The median salary is about $150,000. That's balling

Real talk right here...for a while, I actually entertained the idea of getting a degree in Petroleum Engineering. Why did I consider it? Because I was thinking only in terms of the money I'd make when I graduated. But then I reality hit me--anytime and every time I've made a decision solely because of money (making more of it), I've regretted it.

I'm really just one of those people who really could not give a damn about ballin' or living up to society's objective definition of successful. Success for me is all about happiness--a happy state of mind. I already have two degrees in the sciences. I realized that going further up the scientific career totem-pole (MS, Ph.D, MD., w/e...etc) was just not for me because my heart just wasn't in it anymore.

Rather than grad, I just began studies on the other side of the academic spectrum and I am loving every minute of. Looking back, I think that had there not been some sort of expectation that I get into a S.T.E.M field, I would likely have embarked on my present academic track much earlier or in concurrence with my studies in the sciences, because I genuinely do enjoy "science". I just can't see myself working within it. 

Its the NT medicine party, hope im still considered fashionably late as i see hodog, three00z etc have all made their appearances.

I dont have anything much additional to say as I will just cosign what most others a have already said:

1. Dont go into medicine for money. It consumes too much of your life and if you dont enjoy it you will be miserable, also with the way things are changing who knows how much money will be left in it even for the specialties. Not saying docs will ever be doing bad just nowhere near the hay day.
- 4yrs undergrad, 4 yrs medical school and 5 yrs residency + 1 for fellowship is a long road Im just glad im almost done.

2. Like three00z said I pretty much ignore my student loans they keep accumulating interest almost like watching the federal debt counter. Its scary and I am living in blissful ignorance for a couple more years until i finish residency.

3. On the topic of PA's it definitely is a good alternative and if someone were thinking of doing primary care it may a great choice. Pay can be pretty good depending on what state/local you work in and may be very similar to some primary care docs but I wouldnt say you make more than alot. The downside is that you have somewhat hit a ceiling with regards to your earning potential.
Im not a fan of talking salaries but my field makes anywhere from 300k to 800k when covering the spectrum of probably two standard deviations of likely salaries available with the avg around mid 400K depending on where you are to some make close to 1 mill if they are doing something like interventional but that is rare as are the 800K jobs and they also come with more work etc.
Also one of my best friends is a ER physician and he is making over 300K as he is in a good local. As a PA you wont come close to those numbers. So if you are just talking money it is a good option if you are family medicine oriented but way off if becoming more specialized. However in saying all that there is a lot more to a being a physician than money and that should be done the list of reasons why you want to pursue the career.

Its the NT medicine party, hope im still considered fashionably late as i see hodog, three00z etc have all made their appearances.

I dont have anything much additional to say as I will just cosign what most others a have already said:

1. Dont go into medicine for money. It consumes too much of your life and if you dont enjoy it you will be miserable, also with the way things are changing who knows how much money will be left in it even for the specialties. Not saying docs will ever be doing bad just nowhere near the hay day.
- 4yrs undergrad, 4 yrs medical school and 5 yrs residency + 1 for fellowship is a long road Im just glad im almost done.

2. Like three00z said I pretty much ignore my student loans they keep accumulating interest almost like watching the federal debt counter. Its scary and I am living in blissful ignorance for a couple more years until i finish residency.

3. On the topic of PA's it definitely is a good alternative and if someone were thinking of doing primary care it may a great choice. Pay can be pretty good depending on what state/local you work in and may be very similar to some primary care docs but I wouldnt say you make more than alot. The downside is that you have somewhat hit a ceiling with regards to your earning potential.
Im not a fan of talking salaries but my field makes anywhere from 300k to 800k when covering the spectrum of probably two standard deviations of likely salaries available with the avg around mid 400K depending on where you are to some make close to 1 mill if they are doing something like interventional but that is rare as are the 800K jobs and they also come with more work etc.
Also one of my best friends is a ER physician and he is making over 300K as he is in a good local. As a PA you wont come close to those numbers. So if you are just talking money it is a good option if you are family medicine oriented but way off if becoming more specialized. However in saying all that there is a lot more to a being a physician than money and that should be done the list of reasons why you want to pursue the career.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by blazinRook

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

I never really saw the point of being a PA. You're nothing more than the doctor's minion. If you're already planning on going down that road, why not put in a little more effort and have "MD" next to your name. 

Because in the short term, PA > MD.

Less debt, if any, coming outta school (most likely will accrue some debt though). Start your career faster and younger (assuming you went straight).

Make money faster.

More time for yourself/family...etc as PA programs are often 2+ years after your Bachelors, whereas an MD is 4+ years excluding residencies and all that other stuff.

Of course, this is in the short run. In the long run, an MD will gain all these benefits on top of higher pay (potentially) depending on the field they choose to specialize in.

If this is the case pretty much every job where u make 80-90 grand a year with minimal schooling>>>>>>>MD
i think PA's argument would be that you are still involved within the medical realm which you are "passionate" about, without the demanding commitment of an MD.

I also heard that PA's are able to switch between concentrations they're involved in without having to go back to school...while MD's have to go back.

meh, the autonomy and potential for earning is higher with MDs. Most people would not turn down med school to become PAs/RNs.

Residency/ fellowships is "training" I wouldn't refer to it as school-even tho it certainly feels that way but atleast you'll be getting paid and have way more hands on experiences and responsibility that a mere student. When you say "go back to school" you make it seem like they'll have to do med school all over again. It is impossible for a doctor to switch concentrations without getting some kind of training (not sure how PAs can afford to do this but I suppose its a testament to the level to responsibility and knowledge required of PAs).

Not tryna knock PAs at all, its a great job in a great field but it isn't a substitute for MDs. Becoming a doc takes an incredible amount of sacrifice that some people are not willing to make and honestly I don't blame them. Dental is another route one could go if they wanted to avoid a lengthy/rigorous medical training.
Quoted for truth. Undergrad for 4 years then 4 years of school on top of that. That's it no residency, etc. Your not always on call, potential earnings is really whatever you want it to be and how hard/smart your willing to work, and being your own boss. We take Med school classes for the first 2 years, basically on par with what they are taught (same teachers and same material), but the later 2 years are spent with actual dental work.

I never really saw the point of being a PA. You're nothing more than the doctor's minion. If you're already planning on going down that road, why not put in a little more effort and have "MD" next to your name. 

Less debt, if any, coming outta school (most likely will accrue some debt though). Start your career faster and younger (assuming you went straight).

Make money faster.

More time for yourself/family...etc as PA programs are often 2+ years after your Bachelors, whereas an MD is 4+ years excluding residencies and all that other stuff.

Of course, this is in the short run. In the long run, an MD will gain all these benefits on top of higher pay (potentially) depending on the field they choose to specialize in.

If this is the case pretty much every job where u make 80-90 grand a year with minimal schooling>>>>>>>MD
i think PA's argument would be that you are still involved within the medical realm which you are "passionate" about, without the demanding commitment of an MD.

I also heard that PA's are able to switch between concentrations they're involved in without having to go back to school...while MD's have to go back.

meh, the autonomy and potential for earning is higher with MDs. Most people would not turn down med school to become PAs/RNs.

Residency/ fellowships is "training" I wouldn't refer to it as school-even tho it certainly feels that way but atleast you'll be getting paid and have way more hands on experiences and responsibility that a mere student. When you say "go back to school" you make it seem like they'll have to do med school all over again. It is impossible for a doctor to switch concentrations without getting some kind of training (not sure how PAs can afford to do this but I suppose its a testament to the level to responsibility and knowledge required of PAs).

Not tryna knock PAs at all, its a great job in a great field but it isn't a substitute for MDs. Becoming a doc takes an incredible amount of sacrifice that some people are not willing to make and honestly I don't blame them. Dental is another route one could go if they wanted to avoid a lengthy/rigorous medical training.
Quoted for truth. Undergrad for 4 years then 4 years of school on top of that. That's it no residency, etc. Your not always on call, potential earnings is really whatever you want it to be and how hard/smart your willing to work, and being your own boss. We take Med school classes for the first 2 years, basically on par with what they are taught (same teachers and same material), but the later 2 years are spent with actual dental work.

Originally Posted by rashi

Originally Posted by LongRange3Ball

laugh.gif

I can relate to this. If you're a Jewish kid you have 3 options for a career.

1. Doc
2. Lawyer
3. Accountant

In that order.
Doesn't real estate development/construction management tie in there somewhere?

Originally Posted by rashi

Originally Posted by LongRange3Ball

laugh.gif

I can relate to this. If you're a Jewish kid you have 3 options for a career.

1. Doc
2. Lawyer
3. Accountant

In that order.
Doesn't real estate development/construction management tie in there somewhere?

Originally Posted by UTVOL23

whats up? match coming up in less than 2 weeks right?

this thread kinda went off on different tangents but all i was trying to say was if you are doing medicine just for the money, you wont last long and will be miserable.

this thread kinda went off on different tangents but all i was trying to say was if you are doing medicine just for the money, you wont last long and will be miserable.

Originally Posted by Three00ZeeX

Lol too many of us to keep up with gonna be a bunch of docs running around in NT shirts and hats maybe need some NT scrubs.
Yea I think match is in two weeks but glad Im already 2 yrs removed from that in the specialty you will one day wish you chose. RADS
wink.gif

Lol too many of us to keep up with gonna be a bunch of docs running around in NT shirts and hats maybe need some NT scrubs.
Yea I think match is in two weeks but glad Im already 2 yrs removed from that in the specialty you will one day wish you chose. RADS
wink.gif

Sort of, my goal is to become a doctor of physical therapy. It sort of incorporates the medical field and sports which is perfect for me.

Anyone else in the same boat? I know I've seen a few topics on physical therapy in years past.

Sort of, my goal is to become a doctor of physical therapy. It sort of incorporates the medical field and sports which is perfect for me.

Anyone else in the same boat? I know I've seen a few topics on physical therapy in years past.

wink.gif
my bad man i think there was a 4th year trying to get into rads on here as well....
laugh.gif
trust me theres some shifts i wish i was back in that dark room staring at the dual monitors

wink.gif
my bad man i think there was a 4th year trying to get into rads on here as well....
laugh.gif
trust me theres some shifts i wish i was back in that dark room staring at the dual monitors

Three00ZeeX wrote:

wink.gif
laugh.gif

LOL its cool. My girl is an ED res and i always give her a hard time about how my nights on call are like with calls from the ED and she gets so angry:

Three00ZeeX wrote:

wink.gif
laugh.gif

LOL its cool. My girl is an ED res and i always give her a hard time about how my nights on call are like with calls from the ED and she gets so angry:

Saying dumb %$%# when the preceptor asks you a question FTL.

Doc: So what's this painless flat warty lesion on the penis of a patient in secondary syphillis
Me: That's called a condyloma lata
Doc: Good, what does lata mean?
Me: It means it comes later
Doc:
ohwell.gif

Me:
grin.gif

Saying dumb %$%# when the preceptor asks you a question FTL.

Doc: So what's this painless flat warty lesion on the penis of a patient in secondary syphillis
Me: That's called a condyloma lata
Doc: Good, what does lata mean?
Me: It means it comes later
Doc:
ohwell.gif

Me:
grin.gif

utvol - lol saw those vids before... hilarious because our program has a couple attendings that instead of using clinical knowlege/skill will just irradiate the crap out of anyone that comes thru the doors.

anton - youre a 4th year right? what are you going into?

utvol - lol saw those vids before... hilarious because our program has a couple attendings that instead of using clinical knowlege/skill will just irradiate the crap out of anyone that comes thru the doors.

anton - youre a 4th year right? what are you going into?

Make money faster.

I agree. Didn't mean to be vague about "going back to school" for MD's...That was an argument I over heard from an aspiring PA so thats her point of view...

She also said the reason why she is gonna to be PA is because she wants to have a family, and she wants to be able to dedicate more time to her kids...
But also added that if she were a man, she would have chosen the MD route...(wifey characteristics if you ask me
pimp.gif
)

Nothing she regrets, its just life choices...can't go wrong with either paths...

Back
Top Bottom