Anyone realize they graduated with the wrong major?

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Whats wrong with majoring in history? I'm tryna go to law school.

Nothing.

You could major in anything and go to law school with the right LSAT score
laugh.gif

They aren't talking about your type. They're referring to the guys who major in history and then complain about

1. They can't find a job.
2. They're making only 30k.

Those are the people who usually go around saying "why did I major in history", not the kids who go off to law school.

im a finance major and almost switched to sociology. THANK GOD i didnt. i hate the classes, but i love business so im gonna tough it out, somehow
eyes.gif

EDIT: but i hate my school with a passion, they *!#+@+ my %+!$ up so bad. over 20k down the drain and an extra year at school, won't go into details, butto every prospective and current college kid, realize YOU have to do everything if you want to make sure it's done correctly.

Originally Posted by mcnoodlez

im a finance major and almost switched to sociology. THANK GOD i didnt. i hate the classes, but i love business so im gonna tough it out, somehow
eyes.gif

EDIT: but i hate my school with a passion, they *!#+@+ my %+!$ up so bad. over 20k down the drain and an extra year at school, won't go into details, but to every prospective and current college kid, realize YOU have to do everything if you want to make sure it's done correctly.

your not alone i hate my school to. what school you go to?

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

Originally Posted by marath0n

History majors feel like this all of the time.
+!@! u
mad.gif
laugh.gif
. But it's better than takin up English Writing as a major. I thought about changin my major then remembered the benefits of a history major so instead I just minored in Admin of Justice (though I wanted Legal Studies
smh.gif
) But when u're young and wide eyed in college u make a wrong move, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse
You act like I can't work in a publishing house or teach if I don't make it as a writer.
I aint sayin u can't I just don't know many ppl that major in English Writing and if they do it's a bailout major that the laterregret. After the Bio/Chem/Eng majors don't blow over well.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

+!@! u
mad.gif
laugh.gif
. But it's better than takin up English Writing as a major. I thought about changin my major then remembered the benefits of a history major so instead I just minored in Admin of Justice (though I wanted Legal Studies
smh.gif
) But when u're young and wide eyed in college u make a wrong move, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse
You act like I can't work in a publishing house or teach if I don't make it as a writer.
I aint sayin u can't I just don't know many ppl that major in English Writing and if they do it's a bailout major that the later regret. After the Bio/Chem/Eng majors don't blow over well.
I disagree with that. My dude was an English major and got hired by the Baltimore Sun a little over a month ago. There are opportunities forWriting/English majors, they just have to look.

Originally Posted by Crftz333

I was told by some people in the field that those certifications are pretty meaningless in many things.

If you're talking about getting like Cisco certified, that's one thing... but if you're talking about actual programming, I think you're just as well off showing your experience in the languages with a portfolio. I mean, if you want to learn through a certification process that's fine, but those are kind just pieces of paper in the end and you're better off if you can't put it into practical use that somebody can see.

^ HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD

As far as I'm concerned, computer related fields are no different than computers itself. At the end of the day its all 1's and 0's right? I mean,either you can do it or you cant. You just have to be able to show them that you have the abilities. My programming skills are VERY limited/virtuallynon-existent but as far as I can tell, it is a learned skill and moreso a marketable skill.

In my personal experience, I experienced (the hard way) that the degree dont mean squat if you cant PRODUCE.

I was in the same boat as you when I was finishing school. I graduated with a degree in Business Admin with an emphasis in Information Systems/E-commerce. Ihated my major but by the time I realized it, I was just about finished. I totally just cruised through college, didn't really learn anything justbamboozled my way into the grades. After I graduated I didn't know what I wanted to do, but figured hell... my degree is in MIS, I might as well look forsomething there. Through my brother I got hooked up with an interview that I was totally unqualified for. It would have been a sweet gig too working for AEGat the Staples Center doing network administrating BS. The hiring manager was a good friend of my brothers best friend, and dude put a word in for me, vouchedfor me to get that interview. It was basically a gimme. I was supposed to walk in there, do the interview, and the job was mine. I blew it. Even with thedegree I had no real technical background so when it came to the portion of the interview where he gave me hypothetical situations I just bombed. The job wasmine, but I was not competant enough to do it. As good a friend as this hiring manager was, he couldnt take me onto his payroll and have me do nothing, causethats about where my skill level was... ZERO.

So it may be difficult to get your foot in the door with a comm degree, but once you get your foot in, blow em away with your skills. Put together thatportfolio and show em your chops.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Air23Jordan707

eyes.gif

EDIT: but i hate my school with a passion, they *!#+@+ my %+!$ up so bad. over 20k down the drain and an extra year at school, won't go into details, but to every prospective and current college kid, realize YOU have to do everything if you want to make sure it's done correctly.

pitt, you?

History majors have a big advantage on Wall Street, especially in times like this. I've come across a few, already.

eyes.gif

pitt, you?

to a UC..but wanna go to a CSU...yea i know im moving down but i have my reasons.

eyes.gif

pitt, you?

to a UC..but wanna go to a CSU...yea i know im moving down but i have my reasons.
i'm just toughing it out because i got into upenn wharton as a transfer but then pitt (my adviser) !!#!%$ up and didnt send her letter (andall this letter says is that i'm in good standing with the shcool, don't owe any $) and as a result was defaulted from them...

i literally hate pitt and any chance i get i badmouth it. when prospective freshman are having tours i almsot wanna yell "dont go here unless you likedoing drugs, partying, and not being prepared for the future...but you probably want that anyways"

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Nothing.

laugh.gif

They aren't talking about your type. They're referring to the guys who major in history and then complain about

Those are the people who usually go around saying "why did I major in history", not the kids who go off to law school.
what else do they look at when trying to get into law school or business school?

Originally Posted by duckdafraft

Nothing.

laugh.gif

what else do they look at when trying to get into law school or business school?
Extracurriculars
Letter(s) of recommendation
Essay

Trust me i feel the same way. Im currently doing my Master in international Relation because an Undergrad in Polsc gets u no where fast.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Originally Posted by duckdafraft

Nothing.

laugh.gif

Extracurriculars
Letter(s) of recommendation
Essay
Yup, major really doesn't matter, but it's best if you major in either English or History and minor in Legal Studies. Or vice versa.

What sucks is that my GPA isn't too particularly good (2.6 overall) since I didn't take undergrad too seriously the first two years, but the last twoyears I had a 3.2 overall (when I actually chose a major).

That average kept me from getting into almost most programs, and last thing I'd like to do is get an MA in social work because that field pays ZERO for theamount of work you do.
sick.gif

No idea what to get my masters in.....plus taking all the pre-reqs JUST to get into a different program is such a waste of money.

/vent.

yeah i majored in econ. by the time i reazlied it, i pretty much had my degree already.

didnt really matter though. worked a geograpgy job for most of the time i was in college and now that i i graduated, im not really looking at econ jobs at all.

eyes.gif

pitt, you?

i'm just toughing it out because i got into upenn wharton as a transfer but then pitt (my adviser) !!#!%$ up and didnt send her letter (and all this letter says is that i'm in good standing with the shcool, don't owe any $) and as a result was defaulted from them...

i literally hate pitt and any chance i get i badmouth it. when prospective freshman are having tours i almsot wanna yell "dont go here unless you like doing drugs, partying, and not being prepared for the future...but you probably want that anyways"
Dam! You got into Wharton though?
eek.gif
. That really sucksthough...

I really want to major in Psychology... why am I going to regret it so much? I'll be attending either Oxford or Stanford... (in theory)

Back
Top Bottom