Anyone realize they graduated with the wrong major?

I am about to graduate with my degree in Communication Journalism concentration. Im starting to realize that i might have chose the wrong major because Irealy love computers and im really good at it was well. I know its too late now obviously, but what would y'all suggest to advance my career in this field?I found a school that offers free A+ certifications.... where would i go from there? Would i have to go back to school to get my comp science degree? Whatabout my masters? Any advice is appreciated.

no but i took a second thought on my major cause it bores me at times...

yeah from my knowledge the certificates are the way to go (CCNP, CCNA, etc). The good thing about this industry is if you're capable then you'll have ajob, and you prove your capability with these certs and not a diploma.

I love my Business Admin. degree, but I wish I would have taken a more specific concentration like Economics.

i ignored my instincts when i got to college. Took a journalism course in 11th grade and i was really good at it so i never looked back. Everybody says im agood writer, but all these places that i want to work at are either downsizing or going out of business. I ignored everyone around me who said i was beasty atcomputers including myself.

Originally Posted by marath0n

History majors feel like this all of the time.

laugh.gif
but true. But real talk, hopefully I don't have this feeling when I graduate.

dont worry just get your masters in what you want to do. co worker of mine graduated with chemistry testing colors and fabrics almost landed a ob withnike......he then went to get his masters in programming. its not like your 50 years old having this dilemma.

laugh.gif
It's funny because it's true.

dirtylicious:
btw...I know a bunch of people who were Comp Sci majors. The stuff they do now have nothing to do with what they learned. If you want to go into the IT field.. work your way up, learning along the way.

Me too. In fact most of the people I know in IT didn't do a degree on an even similar field.

+!@! u
mad.gif
laugh.gif
. But it's better than takin up English Writing as a major. I thoughtabout changin my major then remembered the benefits of a history major so instead I just minored in Admin of Justice (though I wanted Legal Studies
smh.gif
) Butwhen u're young and wide eyed in college u make a wrong move, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse

thanks... so it is possible to get my masters in computer sci or an it field. I thinking get my degree and then learn as much as can and get as many certs as i can from here on out.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

why not combine the two skills?
become a technology writer

eg:
http://www.pcmag.com/
http://www.ziffdavis.com/about/contact

btw...I know a bunch of people who were Comp Sci majors. The stuff they do now have nothing to do with what they learned. If you want to go into the IT field.. work your way up, learning along the way.
You almost never use what you learn from a CS degree. The most important thing a CS degree teaches you is how to think like a Computer Scientist.That is why so many employers require it.

If your serious about getting into the IT field you should think about taking some extra time to either get a dual degree in CS or at least minor in CS. Itsalready hard as is to find a job in the IT field because of all the competition. Anything you can get ( certs, experience, degree, etc) will help you.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and make it work for you. I think most people aren't 100% satisfied with the major on their degree. You also have tolook at what's gonna be a good field in terms of employment. Comp Sci was poppin a few years ago. I dunno if thats the trend now.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

+!@! u
mad.gif
laugh.gif
. But it's better than takin up English Writing as a major. I thought about changin my major then remembered the benefits of a history major so instead I just minored in Admin of Justice (though I wanted Legal Studies
smh.gif
) But when u're young and wide eyed in college u make a wrong move, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse
You act like I can't work in a publishing house or teach if I don't make it as a writer.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Psych smh
as far as jobs go yes, but i am genuinely interested and love what i know...

but Jobs/money is more important than knowledge at this point...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Compaqp5280

thanks... so it is possible to get my masters in computer sci or an it field. I thinking get my degree and then learn as much as can and get as many certs as i can from here on out.
yes its possible, but to save time and money get experience in what you want to do and start racking up certs.

I was told by some people in the field that those certifications are pretty meaningless in many things.

If you're talking about getting like Cisco certified, that's one thing... but if you're talking about actual programming, I think you're justas well off showing your experience in the languages with a portfolio. I mean, if you want to learn through a certification process that's fine, but thoseare kind just pieces of paper in the end and you're better off if you can't put it into practical use that somebody can see.

Everyone laughs at me when they ask what my major is. History is the only thing that interests me though.

My take on college is that you should major in something that will put you in the best position to get a job. Otherwise, it'd be a waste of 4 years andtuition. I know friends who majored in psych and exercise sports science b/c they enjoyed it and had fun. However, being unemployed after college isn'tmuch fun either.

- i asked this a few months ago.....

- i know someone making only 30K with a Masters in "Student Affairs Administration in Higher Education"

- has anyone heard of this degree? is there any way to make any real money with the major?

Back
Top Bottom