anyone ever gone across the border (Mexico) for dental work?

roll.gif
not worth it

Don't do it fam. You're better off dropping the 5-6k, than waking up held for ransom or some #+@+
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

Don't do it fam. You're better off dropping the 5-6k, than waking up held for ransom or some #+@+
ohwell.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kyrk b

ive never had it done in mexico but in 2006 when i was in the Philippines i have a tooth extracted. i went in there to find out how much it would cost and ended up having it done right there. it took about 15 minutes and was probably equal to about 20$ maybee a little more. they gave me some pain medication and i was fine and back to 100% 3 to 4 days later. i think the night i had it done i went out. i think most of the money was for the pain medicine. i know the Philippines is not mexico but i hope this helps you.
p.s. i went with my uncle who was a local.

If you had a set up like this but in Mexico you could make a killing. Charge people 200 dollars or so to take them to good reliable dentist in Mexico who will charge them pennies on the dollar.

Originally Posted by kyrk b

ive never had it done in mexico but in 2006 when i was in the Philippines i have a tooth extracted. i went in there to find out how much it would cost and ended up having it done right there. it took about 15 minutes and was probably equal to about 20$ maybee a little more. they gave me some pain medication and i was fine and back to 100% 3 to 4 days later. i think the night i had it done i went out. i think most of the money was for the pain medicine. i know the Philippines is not mexico but i hope this helps you.
p.s. i went with my uncle who was a local.

If you had a set up like this but in Mexico you could make a killing. Charge people 200 dollars or so to take them to good reliable dentist in Mexico who will charge them pennies on the dollar.

thanks for those with informative responses.

I am definitely skeptical about it, but my buddy told me they do quality work for a lot less. he said somewhere north of Mexacali supposedly just across the border from some retirement oriented US city. he said they are slow in the summer cus all the old people go north. I wouldn't have even thought twice about it but I have asked a few others and they know of people who have done it successfully.

I am really the last one to consider doing something like this but man I'd hate to add $5-6k to my debt load.

thanks again for those with helpful responses. guess I will do some research and see what it looks like.

on a side note, American health/dental/vision/etc care is in a sad state
eyes.gif

thanks for those with informative responses.

I am definitely skeptical about it, but my buddy told me they do quality work for a lot less. he said somewhere north of Mexacali supposedly just across the border from some retirement oriented US city. he said they are slow in the summer cus all the old people go north. I wouldn't have even thought twice about it but I have asked a few others and they know of people who have done it successfully.

I am really the last one to consider doing something like this but man I'd hate to add $5-6k to my debt load.

thanks again for those with helpful responses. guess I will do some research and see what it looks like.

on a side note, American health/dental/vision/etc care is in a sad state
eyes.gif

do not go to mexico to get an implant. implants are a serious dental procedure. your body can reject the implant and require way more work. they drill a hole in you jaw and place a screw in your skull or mandible. it takes months for this to heal and can ruin your facial structure.
what tooth is it?

you could get a bridge in some cases.

trust me im a dental technician
happy.gif

do not go to mexico to get an implant. implants are a serious dental procedure. your body can reject the implant and require way more work. they drill a hole in you jaw and place a screw in your skull or mandible. it takes months for this to heal and can ruin your facial structure.
what tooth is it?

happy.gif

For an extraction/implant, you wont be put to sleep. So no worries about missing any organs when waking up. Also, how far do live from Mexico or how long are you planning on staying there? Because for implant, it'll take several visits and up to 6 months.

For an extraction/implant, you wont be put to sleep. So no worries about missing any organs when waking up. Also, how far do live from Mexico or how long are you planning on staying there? Because for implant, it'll take several visits and up to 6 months.

Originally Posted by FilthyRich

what tooth is it?

happy.gif
ok, now this is helpful.  it is my top front left, or #9 I believe.  I have to have an extraction cus it has a failed/rejected root canal.  my dentist recommended being put under for it since the base is so fractured/friable that it will likely disintegrate upon removal.  so it will be a multi-stage process: extraction, implant, crown, which (on top of all the other scary possibilities) makes going down there for it even less attractive.  I live in Portland, Oregon so it's not like it's a couple hours away.  but man $5-6k for a tooth.  all this just makes me feel old
grin.gif

anyhow, thanks filthy  there are usually a few people on here who have reasonable advice

oh and for all those who found the topic/SN amusing, my name is also Tim if that gives your exciting lives more lulz...  that is if you can even figure out why that is funny

Originally Posted by FilthyRich

what tooth is it?

happy.gif
ok, now this is helpful.  it is my top front left, or #9 I believe.  I have to have an extraction cus it has a failed/rejected root canal.  my dentist recommended being put under for it since the base is so fractured/friable that it will likely disintegrate upon removal.  so it will be a multi-stage process: extraction, implant, crown, which (on top of all the other scary possibilities) makes going down there for it even less attractive.  I live in Portland, Oregon so it's not like it's a couple hours away.  but man $5-6k for a tooth.  all this just makes me feel old
grin.gif

anyhow, thanks filthy  there are usually a few people on here who have reasonable advice

oh and for all those who found the topic/SN amusing, my name is also Tim if that gives your exciting lives more lulz...  that is if you can even figure out why that is funny

My mom gets her teeth cleaned and work on in Mexico twice a year she goes pretty far because its where we're from.
But I always here people go right across the border to get work done and very much less than in the states.
I wish I had good information for you like a location but I don't i'll ask around

My mom gets her teeth cleaned and work on in Mexico twice a year she goes pretty far because its where we're from.
But I always here people go right across the border to get work done and very much less than in the states.
I wish I had good information for you like a location but I don't i'll ask around

There are good dentists in Mexico just like there are good dentists here. You guys all have a bad perception on Mexico based on what you guys hear from friends and what the media portrays. It's all about common sense man. You wouldn't go to some back alley dentist here, just like you wouldn't there. Do your research, and look for a legit place. if the place looks beat down and in the hood, chances are you're not going to get good dental work.

There are good dentists in Mexico just like there are good dentists here. You guys all have a bad perception on Mexico based on what you guys hear from friends and what the media portrays. It's all about common sense man. You wouldn't go to some back alley dentist here, just like you wouldn't there. Do your research, and look for a legit place. if the place looks beat down and in the hood, chances are you're not going to get good dental work.

got my wisdom teeth removed down there. You gotta know which dentist to go to though, if you got fam down there ask. Plus i got relatives that are dentist down there and i can get the job done there as well. Not all of them are bad, but if you luck out, no turning back.

got my wisdom teeth removed down there. You gotta know which dentist to go to though, if you got fam down there ask. Plus i got relatives that are dentist down there and i can get the job done there as well. Not all of them are bad, but if you luck out, no turning back.

living in portland have you talked to ohsu or uw school of dentistry, one of those guys could probably take care of you for cheap. They need to learn somehow

living in portland have you talked to ohsu or uw school of dentistry, one of those guys could probably take care of you for cheap. They need to learn somehow

Back
Top Bottom