Anybody here commute more than an hour each way?

I have a new job opportunity but my commute would be around an hour each way. The pay is worth it but I've never had to commute more than 20 minutes each way. Any of you guys commute that far? How irritating does it get? Is it THAT bad?

Relocating is not an option for now.

Last edited:
Living in NYC, the hour commute each way (sometimes more) is standard for many. Doesn't seem that bad, you can do it. 

I did it before living on the North Shore and driving into New Orleans daily. :x But since I've lived in San Diego, I've never had to drive more than 30 minutes to work, even when there was traffic.

Looking back on that drive, what it cost in gas, the time spent in the car daily and the toll of crossing the Causeway, I wouldn't do it again. If you think about it, those two hours you'll be driving are work hours you won't be getting paid for.

Last edited:
I used to drive 1 hour each way (30 miles) for my old job, it wasnt that bad to me, but I like driving.

Anyone remeber that thread about that one man that commuted a total of like 7 hours each day, by driving/carpool/and train, in the DMV area. I guess if you love the job, it's worth it.

I have a new job opportunity but my commute would be around an hour each way. The pay is worth it but I've never had to commute more than 20 minutes each way. Any of you guys commute that far? How irritating does it get? Is it THAT bad?

Relocating is not an option for now.
Considering you're from the Bay, most people's commute is about an hour regardless of how far. Traffic ain't no joke on the 80 during commuting hours. You'll get used to it, i do it for school. My bro commutes about 40-45 min a day for work

I was working at a hospital 17 miles away and it took me an hour and a half to get home due to traffic. :smh:

There's brothers in my local who travel two hours one way for work.

I do. Under normal circumstances it's a two hour drive each way if I drive myself during normal traffic hours. I now ride a van pool though. Get to ride the Hov lanes and it takes me an hour instead. Saves time money and gas

1 hr isnt too bad. i had a friend that was doing 2.5 hrs each way. granted it was a really good job for the experience in a biotech company but no way in hell im doing that. I used to do 45 mins through college, current is 20 way nicer

I just changed job locations about two months ago and now I have a roughly 60 mile round trip commute. It's a straight shot going up two highways though, so it's not so bad if the traffic isn't bad.

For a job I had over the summer I had to commute 1 1/2 to 2 hrs each way. I like driving and had another job where I drove on average 2-3hrs as part of the job so it didn't bother me that much. Traffic doesn't get on my nerves as long as it's not deliberate traffic meaning someone driving slow in the left lane. Another thing is I've always had to commute at least an hr since I was a kid going to middle school in NYC. Then when I had a job where we had a meeting to go to once a week where the office is located in queens and I live in BKLYN or when I use to visit my moms in the Bronx. That BK to the BX train ride would take at least 2 hrs each way usually around 2 1/2 hrs or if I was really unlucky 3hrs. So yeah I'm accustomed to long travel time

1 hour is not bad at all and very reasonable especially if youre driving. If you gotta hop from bus to bus with long wait times then its another thing 

I do 5-700 miles a week. Get your playlist on iTunes right or subscribe with XM/Sirius famb. That freeway therapy :smokin

Xm Comedy Central and foxxhole are clutch.
Doctor radio and the chill station 
pimp.gif

an hour is pretty much the standard for commuting into dc (unless you live directly next to a metro stop)

i live 5 miles from my office and it still takes 45 mins by bus to get there during rush hour...if i take the metro, 40 min ride + 15 min walk to the red line  

Last edited:
Used to do Queens to Harlem which took an hour and twenty minutes. It can get annoying especially if you leave a little later than when you should leave. Can't tell you how many times I was late for work because of train delays. However, it's a good time to listen to music or read.

i do my job is 45 minutes- an hour away depending on the flow of traffic living on long island however everything thats worth getting to is always far so im no stranger to long commutes anywhere as well as my frequent trips to nyc which depending on my location ranges from an hour to and hour and a half

i live 5 miles from my office and it still takes 45 mins by bus to get there during rush hour...if i take the metro, 40 min ride + 15 min walk to the red line  

bruh that would drive me absolutely crazy...i would have to get me a bike for when i know the weather is going to be in the 65-85 range.

Back
Top Bottom