Any talk of best MLB catcher now or for the next decade officially ends right now

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by besthandsInDM

^^^ Neither am I, at the end of the day Joe Mauer is a top 5 player in baseball.

No hes not.

It's arguable.

No its not.

Have you even seen Mauer play? Doubt they get Twins games in Cali. Mauer is a straight up stud.

Yes I have seen him play. I get every single game of the season on tv. I dont disagree that Mauer is a stud. But he isnt top 5. Period.

I know he isn't the best hitter, but you can't tell me Yadier Molina isn't in the discussion for the best defensive catcher, maybe not for 10years, but he has to be in there. Maybe it's my Puerto Rican bias talking, but I've seen too many games where he's just shown of that damn cannonand thrown someone out. Other than that, I'll take Mauer, MAYBE Wieters, he still has to prove he can hit Major League pitching.

Mauer isn't a power hitter, he's a pure hitter. Different things. It's always been said that once you start hitting, the home runs will come.

He's a Tiger killer lol Dude is a BEAST only struck out once in highschool ball. If the Yankees get him i'm done with baseball!

3 for 3 again last night with another jack
pimp.gif

And he has now reached base 143 of his last 156 games he's started
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Originally Posted by Proshares

Always liked him.

As a Yankee fan though...I'm a little nervous thinking about Weiters/Roberts/Markakis.

But then I remember their pitching/bullpen situation and go back to worrying about the Rays.

Hopefully DoubleJ's will stay in the LeWhistle thread.
i swear Yankee fans are pathetic...doing anything to try and slight the Sox...

Easy there champ I was talking about worrying about the Rays in 3rd place.

He will win ANOTHER batting title this season; eligibility should begin sometime in July.

Matt Wieters - AA Bowie 2008 - Age 22
.365 BA / .460 OBP / .625 SLG / 1.085 OPS with 12 HR, 14 2B, 38 BB, 29 K in 250 PA

Carlos Santana - AA Akron 2009 - Age 23
.284 BA / .417 OBP / .547 SLG / .964 OPS with 9 HR, 12 2B, 37 BB, 25 K in 192 PA

While Wieters numbers are a bit better, look at the HR, 2B, and BB/K rates of the two with Wieters having more plate appearances and know that Wieters BABIP in Bowie last year was .378 while Santana's in Akron this year is .293, which is obviously going to have some bearing on the BA and OBP numbers to date.
pimp.gif

P.S. I completely missed the Ben Grieve mention. That was my guy.
smh.gif

There is no debate right now, Mauer is playing out of his mind right now.

http://niketalk.com/topic/179438
or for the next decade officially ends right now
Next decade?

Mauer has proven two things. One is that he is a great hitter, and two, he is susceptible to injuries. I don't see him being a catcher that long. Especially with a bad back.

The reason for his back pain stemmed from a kidney obstruction, something repaired with surgery last winter. The surgery took longer to recover from thanexpected, but nonethesless he healed. I do not consider him more susceptible to injuries than any other catcher.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

The only thing that's gonna suck is the Yankees offering him $300 million next year if the Twins don't lock him up early.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

yadier molina (or however u spell it) is a brick wall behind the plate...they had a whole s.i. issue on him too...

Originally Posted by kmark2092

yadier molina (or however u spell it) is a brick wall behind the plate...they had a whole s.i. issue on him too...

Yadi is hands down the best defensive catcher in the show, but Mauer is the all around package. His hitting his straight
eek.gif

Gee from the sounds of people in here earlier this summer, Weiters would have already surpased Mauer in terms of production
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom