Any talk of best MLB catcher now or for the next decade officially ends right now

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

American League batting titles by Joe Mauer - 2
American League batting titles by every other catcher in the history of Major League Baseball - 0

glasses.gif

I take back what I said, Joe can get the hell up outta my division

glasses.gif

Natural power stroke, my ^@!.
laugh.gif

He's not a power hitter at all; he just hits the ball well enough to hit home runs. See Victor Martinez.

Great hitters.

I wish I could talk about Geo Soto in here, but dude can't hit his weight right now.
ohwell.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Exactly... This dude aint never hit anything NEAR 20 homeruns at any professional level...

He's an incredible hitter, but he ain't a power hitter. And he never will be.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Always liked him.

As a Yankee fan though...I'm a little nervous thinking about Weiters/Roberts/Markakis.

But then I remember their pitching/bullpen situation and go back to worrying about the Rays.

Hopefully DoubleJ's will stay in the LeWhistle thread.

Roberts/JONES/Markakis/Wieters

Oh and the O's have three stud pitching prospects in Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz, and Jake Arrietta
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

i'd say mauer is the best in the league right now but decade? not so sure about that
He's 26 right now...so a decade from now he'll be 36.

Most players hit their prime between 28-32...so I don't see why him being the best catcher for the next decade isn't assumed by most when he'salready the best catcher in the game right now.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Exactly... This dude aint never hit anything NEAR 20 home runs at any professional level...

It has NOTHING to do with his numbers in prior years. When he first came into the league, he was projected later in his career to be a 30+ HR hitter, becauseof his fundamental approach as a contact hitter. His swing always had the capability of generating power, but has just now started putting it all together.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Exactly... This dude aint never hit anything NEAR 20 home runs at any professional level...

It has NOTHING to do with his numbers in prior years. When he first came into the league, he was projected later in his career to be a 30+ HR hitter, because of his fundamental approach as a contact hitter. His swing always had the capability of generating power, but has just now started putting it all together.
He was projected as a power hitter because of his athleticism NOT because of his swing and look man for you to be a power hitter in this leagueyou have to be able to pull the ball for power Mauer is not doing that.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It has NOTHING to do with his numbers in prior years. When he first came into the league, he was projected later in his career to be a 30+ HR hitter, because of his fundamental approach as a contact hitter. His swing always had the capability of generating power, but has just now started putting it all together.
He was projected as a power hitter because of his athleticism NOT because of his swing and look man for you to be a power hitter in this league you have to be able to pull the ball for power Mauer is not doing that.

Does not mean he is incapable of it. Also, a vast majority of his home runs, which have gone opposite-field, came as a result of pitches on the outside partof the plate. He's taking what the pitcher gives him. Yesterday, he took an inside fastball off Papelbon and propelled the ball to right-center field 420feet.

I never said it was impossible that Mauer can hit for power because dude is athletic as hell but people talking about this natural power stroke are justdeluding themselves.
laugh.gif

Marco Scutaro had like 5 homers in april nobody was talking about his natural power stroke.

Is he ever going to hit 30+ probably not, but 20 homers seems reasonable given his athleticism.

Originally Posted by ScoopEm

Originally Posted by Proshares

Always liked him.

As a Yankee fan though...I'm a little nervous thinking about Weiters/Roberts/Markakis.

But then I remember their pitching/bullpen situation and go back to worrying about the Rays.

Hopefully DoubleJ's will stay in the LeWhistle thread.

Roberts/JONES/Markakis/Wieters

Oh and the O's have three stud pitching prospects in Chris Tillman, Brian Matusz, and Jake Arrietta
pimp.gif

That Reimold kid looks pretty good too.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Im anxious for Wieters to finally get to the bigs so we can see him jump Mauer's production which apparently is inevitable.
the Matt Wieters era will begin in a couple days.... he'll be called up Friday per MacPhail

Alright, clearly, we're still not understanding.

Joe Mauer hits line drive home runs, for the most part. He may occasionally get into one, but his swing doesn't allow for it often; there's no uppercutto it.

He's a contact hitter who connects with ball well enough and is built well enough to put the ball out.

"Natural power stroke."
laugh.gif

Alright, clearly, we're still not understanding.

Joe Mauer hits line drive home runs, for the most part. He may occasionally get into one, but his swing doesn't allow for it often; there's no uppercut to it.

He's a contact hitter who connects with ball well enough and is built well enough to put the ball out.

"Natural power stroke."
laugh.gif

Yeah...You're right.

"Switch-hitting Jesus" made his MLB debut today at the age of 23, going 0-4. Mauer won a batting title at 23 years old.

As much as I'm certain Mauer > Wieters...Let's give the guy more than his first game until we proclaim anything...He took some ferocious cuts at theball...I can see why his power potential is enormous...

He can't hit like Mauer though.

Back
Top Bottom