Any lawyers out there? Vol Is it worth it?

Started studying for the LSAT, but after talking to some other lawyers and my family, the prospects of law school just don't seem as bright as they did about 10 years ago. However, i've always loved Law ever since I was a child. Any advice from any NT'ers in law school or finished law school? 

Started studying for the LSAT, but after talking to some other lawyers and my family, the prospects of law school just don't seem as bright as they did about 10 years ago. However, i've always loved Law ever since I was a child. Any advice from any NT'ers in law school or finished law school? 

i was speaking to an attorney and he was just saying that there are too many lawyers and not enough jobs. i'm studying to be a lawyer too. 
tired.gif

Spoiler [+]
he said i had an internship and a probably a job waiting for me when that time comes though
pimp.gif

i was speaking to an attorney and he was just saying that there are too many lawyers and not enough jobs. i'm studying to be a lawyer too. 
tired.gif

Spoiler [+]
he said i had an internship and a probably a job waiting for me when that time comes though
pimp.gif

Class of 2011 here. Wait out the storm. Get some work experience in the field and figure out if you really bout that life.

Class of 2011 here. Wait out the storm. Get some work experience in the field and figure out if you really bout that life.

Whether or not it's worth it depends on your own personal goals, what law school you go to, how you do, who you know, etc. In short, the value of attaining a law degree is different for every individual.

From my perspective I feel that law school was indeed worth it.

Whether or not it's worth it depends on your own personal goals, what law school you go to, how you do, who you know, etc. In short, the value of attaining a law degree is different for every individual.

If you don't go T-15 and can't graduate top 1/3 then don't bother unless you absolutely want to  be a lawyer. Even if you do go T-15 and graduate top 1/3, you better be able to bear being a lawyers if you don't love it. Being a lawyer is not like it's cracked up to be on TV and in films. Of course there will be outliers here and there but they're just that; outliers. Things have changed a lot in the recent years.
The market is over saturated everywhere and the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor to land  a %$## law gig at best unless you go to a top school and graduate near the top. That's after you acquire six figures of debt. Even if you make big law, many get chewed up, spit out, and become disenchanted with the profession. 

I got a pretty damn good LSAT score, have a nice GPA, and  work experience and I'm still putting off LS. The more I learn about it and the profession, the less I want to do it. 

If you don't go T-15 and can't graduate top 1/3 then don't bother unless you absolutely want to  be a lawyer. Even if you do go T-15 and graduate top 1/3, you better be able to bear being a lawyers if you don't love it. Being a lawyer is not like it's cracked up to be on TV and in films. Of course there will be outliers here and there but they're just that; outliers. Things have changed a lot in the recent years.
The market is over saturated everywhere and the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor to land  a %$## law gig at best unless you go to a top school and graduate near the top. That's after you acquire six figures of debt. Even if you make big law, many get chewed up, spit out, and become disenchanted with the profession. 

I got a pretty damn good LSAT score, have a nice GPA, and  work experience and I'm still putting off LS. The more I learn about it and the profession, the less I want to do it. 

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

I'd agree with this.  It was worth it for me, but I know a lot of people who would say differently.  I've been practicing for 10 years, so I came out when the legal market was really hot.  I was also lucky that I found the right place and right practice area right off the bat.  I've been at the same firm my whole career, which is rare compared to most of my law school classmates.  In contrast, my brother went to law school 8 years later than me and graduated, but now has no intention of being a lawyer.  So, as abovelegit said, its really an individualized process.   
I should add that, consistent with what others have said, my firm, which is a mid-size boutique firm with a national practice, typically only interviews students that are from the top 20-30 schools who have grades in at least the top 20% of their law school class.  I think other firms in our class have the same standards.  So, it definitely is a tough market out there.  

Still, if you really love the law and work hard in school and once you get out, things will probably work out for you in the end.  But it may not be easy getting there.     

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

I'd agree with this.  It was worth it for me, but I know a lot of people who would say differently.  I've been practicing for 10 years, so I came out when the legal market was really hot.  I was also lucky that I found the right place and right practice area right off the bat.  I've been at the same firm my whole career, which is rare compared to most of my law school classmates.  In contrast, my brother went to law school 8 years later than me and graduated, but now has no intention of being a lawyer.  So, as abovelegit said, its really an individualized process.   
I should add that, consistent with what others have said, my firm, which is a mid-size boutique firm with a national practice, typically only interviews students that are from the top 20-30 schools who have grades in at least the top 20% of their law school class.  I think other firms in our class have the same standards.  So, it definitely is a tough market out there.  

Still, if you really love the law and work hard in school and once you get out, things will probably work out for you in the end.  But it may not be easy getting there.     

I wanted to be a Lawyer as well

Im still undecided .. My grades arent great. Average. I dont have endless amounts of money to drop on Law school. So yeah, alot of factors but All i know is that i want to work in the Criminal Justice field...

Most likely a Probation Officer... But we'll see.

I wanted to be a Lawyer as well

Im still undecided .. My grades arent great. Average. I dont have endless amounts of money to drop on Law school. So yeah, alot of factors but All i know is that i want to work in the Criminal Justice field...

Most likely a Probation Officer... But we'll see.

not unless you get into a t14, have a scholarship or have connections. Even with all those things you still need the desire and drive to do it. Don't see one of those "I don't know what I want; well there's always law school" type. It's a well known fact that law schools lie about their employments stats. Do your research

not unless you get into a t14, have a scholarship or have connections. Even with all those things you still need the desire and drive to do it. Don't see one of those "I don't know what I want; well there's always law school" type. It's a well known fact that law schools lie about their employments stats. Do your research

Fordham Class of 2011 here-

i tell everyone now that asks, do not go to law school unless
1. you know what area of law you would like to practice in- and by knowing I mean have interned or work in a variety of places to get a flavor as to what attorneys in those respective areas do. You don't know how many kids come to law school thinking "the practice" or these tv shows, only to find out that the most lucrative of jobs requires you to sit in an office with a large window, from 930 to 7:45 at least, with another associate from your year researching and writing memorandum on small issues of law for partners who think your always doing it wrong and wanted it yesterday. It took me 2 and half years to figure out I wanted to be a prosecutor, and I was fortunate enough to land a position as an ADA in my city. I was able to do that because I had researched the position and interned and dedicated my courses to classes such as evidence and crim.

2. If you are not at a top 5 school- you must receive a substantial scholarship that will cover a majority or all of your costs. Fact is that there about 43,000 law school graduates per year. There are only about 26,000 jobs. According to the nalp figures released today for the class of 2010- average and median salaries dropped at least 10%, while the number of students reporting being employed is 66%, and that's including part time, non permanent, as well as non legal positions. Combine this with the rising costs of tuition, with it hovering around 40k for most private schools, not including room and board and placement for summers and books. So its basically a gamble, as kids always think they are going to go in and land that 160 k job, and take out the money for it (usually loans around 180K plus interest on those PLUS loans) and then are in a rut when they cannot find a job or the only job they can find is in a small firm for the going rate of about 55k. Its practically impossible to pay down that kind of debt on that salary, unless your under IBR and its a government or nonprofit position (PILF).

3. the truth is hard but the only real safe field right now is in the healthcare industry. Nurses, doctors those are the positions that we are going to need in the future as the boomers retire. Also careers that depend heavily upon math and science- IT fields, certain types of engineers. Some say finance as well, however there's so much fluctuation there it can never truly be safe.

Basically it was a combination of the economy collapsing, shedding many experience lawyers into the market, as well as increased size of students graduating, decreased hiring, rising tuition, and the failure of boomers to retire that has eroded the legal industry.

Fordham Class of 2011 here-

i tell everyone now that asks, do not go to law school unless
1. you know what area of law you would like to practice in- and by knowing I mean have interned or work in a variety of places to get a flavor as to what attorneys in those respective areas do. You don't know how many kids come to law school thinking "the practice" or these tv shows, only to find out that the most lucrative of jobs requires you to sit in an office with a large window, from 930 to 7:45 at least, with another associate from your year researching and writing memorandum on small issues of law for partners who think your always doing it wrong and wanted it yesterday. It took me 2 and half years to figure out I wanted to be a prosecutor, and I was fortunate enough to land a position as an ADA in my city. I was able to do that because I had researched the position and interned and dedicated my courses to classes such as evidence and crim.

2. If you are not at a top 5 school- you must receive a substantial scholarship that will cover a majority or all of your costs. Fact is that there about 43,000 law school graduates per year. There are only about 26,000 jobs. According to the nalp figures released today for the class of 2010- average and median salaries dropped at least 10%, while the number of students reporting being employed is 66%, and that's including part time, non permanent, as well as non legal positions. Combine this with the rising costs of tuition, with it hovering around 40k for most private schools, not including room and board and placement for summers and books. So its basically a gamble, as kids always think they are going to go in and land that 160 k job, and take out the money for it (usually loans around 180K plus interest on those PLUS loans) and then are in a rut when they cannot find a job or the only job they can find is in a small firm for the going rate of about 55k. Its practically impossible to pay down that kind of debt on that salary, unless your under IBR and its a government or nonprofit position (PILF).

3. the truth is hard but the only real safe field right now is in the healthcare industry. Nurses, doctors those are the positions that we are going to need in the future as the boomers retire. Also careers that depend heavily upon math and science- IT fields, certain types of engineers. Some say finance as well, however there's so much fluctuation there it can never truly be safe.

Basically it was a combination of the economy collapsing, shedding many experience lawyers into the market, as well as increased size of students graduating, decreased hiring, rising tuition, and the failure of boomers to retire that has eroded the legal industry.

Back
Top Bottom