Any Golfers on NT?

I just started golfing about 4-5 months ago so I bought a cheap starter set just to see if I would enjoy myself. I never except to nothing good but it's fun to play. Lowest I've shot was 99 but I've been pretty much around the 108-112 most times I have played. I got the cobra f6 driver and adjustable 3-4 wood from rock bottom golf on Labor Day for $326 shipped for both. Any recommendations for irons?

Keep the starter set, get some lessons then get fit... I tried a few sets of irons and nothing helped with my swing except a few lessons... Best of luck

I just started golfing about 4-5 months ago so I bought a cheap starter set just to see if I would enjoy myself. I never except to nothing good but it's fun to play. Lowest I've shot was 99 but I've been pretty much around the 108-112 most times I have played. I got the cobra f6 driver and adjustable 3-4 wood from rock bottom golf on Labor Day for $326 shipped for both. Any recommendations for irons?
Yeah stick with the starter set. Regardless of what these companies will have you believe, the newest irons with the newest technology are not gonna make you better. They'll just make you less bad if that makes any sense.

Having fun is what it's all about. Alot of my friends were "scared" to get into golf because they thought they'd suck. I told them everyone sucks, it's just that some people suck less :lol:.

Like Newbs said, the only way to get better is to have a better swing. That only happens through lessons, or by playing/hitting the range alot and understanding the concepts of "the" golf swing and which parts of "your" golf swing you need to change.

Last edited:
It's kind of late in the season to get lessons now. I don't want to take some lessons then not play for months and not have the same swing. This Pittsburgh weather I might only have 2 or 3 weekends left to play.

It's kind of late in the season to get lessons now. I don't want to take some lessons then not play for months and not have the same swing. This Pittsburgh weather I might only have 2 or 3 weekends left to play.

Then wait til spring... You may buy a nice set of irons and then realize that your shafts dont fit and have to try and fix that after the fact... Just speaking from experience, I wish I would have waited on buying driver-woods-irons until after I had my lessons... Could have saved a few hundred bucks

^
How many lessons did you take?

5... I rewatched my lessons and broke down what he wanted as well and tried to stress certain aspects of the swing... Once I figured out how to apply those to my swing, I could make adjustments on the fly... A lot goes into a well grooved swing and it will take time... Probably need another since my driver was terrible this year

Patrick Reed is our here FLEXIN 
nthat.gif

For me:

Mizuno MP-5 3-PW - Stiff Nippon NS 950GH
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Tour 12* 3W - X-Stiff Diamana S+ 70
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* 3W - Stiff Aldila Rogue Silver 60
Nike Engage 50*, 56*, 60*
Nike Method 005

I have a love/hate relationship with drivers. In the hate stage right now so I'm using the E8 Tour 12* 3 wood as a driver replacement. Fairway finder and I hit laserbeams with it. Only lose about a club worth of distance to a driver. When I do play a driver, I switch between a Nike Vapor Flex with an X-Stiff Diamana S+ 70 and a Mizuno JPX 850 with a Stiff Motore Speeder Tour Spec. Also sometimes swap out the E8 Beta 15* 3W with a Nike Covert Tour 2.0 15* 3W with Stiff Kuro Kage depending on the course. The Nike plays more like a 5 wood for me.
nice setup. how do you like those Exotics? I've heard good things

I had the same problem with driver for the longest time so I ended up getting the Callaway xhot 3deep 12* and started hitting some bombs. It was awesome for a while and then I started getting the hooks and tossed it in the closet
laugh.gif
.. tried someones 910 and loved it so I picked one up for $150 and the rest of my bag eventually followed ha

For me:

Mizuno MP-5 3-PW - Stiff Nippon NS 950GH

Tour Edge Exotics E8 Tour 12* 3W - X-Stiff Diamana S+ 70

Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* 3W - Stiff Aldila Rogue Silver 60

Nike Engage 50*, 56*, 60*

Nike Method 005

I have a love/hate relationship with drivers. In the hate stage right now so I'm using the E8 Tour 12* 3 wood as a driver replacement. Fairway finder and I hit laserbeams with it. Only lose about a club worth of distance to a driver. When I do play a driver, I switch between a Nike Vapor Flex with an X-Stiff Diamana S+ 70 and a Mizuno JPX 850 with a Stiff Motore Speeder Tour Spec. Also sometimes swap out the E8 Beta 15* 3W with a Nike Covert Tour 2.0 15* 3W with Stiff Kuro Kage depending on the course. The Nike plays more like a 5 wood for me.

nice setup. how do you like those Exotics? I've heard good things

I had the same problem with driver for the longest time so I ended up getting the Callaway xhot 3deep 12* and started hitting some bombs. It was awesome for a while and then I started getting the hooks and tossed it in the closet :lol: .. tried someones 910 and loved it so I picked one up for $150 and the rest of my bag eventually followed ha
The Exotics are the best woods I've ever played. The faces are just super hot, the balls fly off of them. You can always get the previous model for cheap on discount golf sites. I use budgetgolf.com.

I have a 9 hole at 7 am.
Workout.
Then hit the driving range for reps.

Been getting very heavy into golf lately. Setting up ky gopro to watch and record all my swings, see what adjustments I need to make. Will be active in here, glad to see here is a golf thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bag

Cobra F6 play it at 11.5*
Callaway x hot pro 15*
Adams super s 3 hybrid
Taylor Made Jetspeed 4 hybrid
Titleist 712 AP1 4-PW
52* Vokey, 56* RTX, 60* Vokey

Im a teacher we have fall break next week, fixing to head out and play today, then everyday next week temp in the 70s no rain :pimp:

First time through the 9 hole I hit a 65, today was a 46 with a monster 8 on the first hole with no warmup. Ended up in the sand, 4 strokes there and 3 to putt it in. Just started seriously playing 2 and a half months ago, looking forward to continued progress. Game is a lot of fun.

Lots of work to do, but that was cool to see. Had to add it up a couple times to make sure I was seeing it correctly. Lol.

Nice day and an empty golf course. Win.

Last edited by a moderator:
First time through the 9 hole I hit a 65, today was a 46 with a monster 8 on the first hole with no warmup. Ended up in the sand, 4 strokes there and 3 to putt it in. Just started seriously playing 2 and a half months ago, looking forward to continued progress. Game is a lot of fun.

Lots of work to do, but that was cool to see. Had to add it up a couple times to make sure I was seeing it correctly. Lol.

Nice day and an empty golf course. Win.

What course is that?

I'm thinking about walking Franklin Canyon tomorrow after work.

I have a mixed up bag with like 5 different brands lol, and I just bought the Nike Fly Pro driver for $149 (from NDC) :pimp:.

Driver: Nike Fly Pro
Irons: Nike Fly Pro 4-PW
3 Hybrid: Callaway X16
3 Wood: Titleist 910
5 Wood: TM R9
56* Cleveland
52* TItleist Vokey
Putter: Scotty GoLo

That was at Monarch Bay in San Leandro. Nice course, greens are fast. Rough is deep and tough though. A lot of crab grass.

Been watching the PGA tour, they are in Napa right now. Been fun to watch.

My bag is currently nothing special, I got for free some years ago. I don't plan to buy a real set until I get my score my better, I did however buy new hybrids, wedges and a putter:

Driver: Affinty Quadrant
Irons: Prima Gold
3 Hybrid: Nike Vapor Fly
4 Hyrbrid: Callaway hot x2
56*: Titlest Vokey
60*: Nike VR X3X
Putter: Nike Method 001

All the Nike Golf gear just went on sale at nike.com

Might want to check local too and see if they will price match.

Guess it's time to get me some engage wedges.
For $80 you won't find a better wedge. I might stock up on a few sets. Really love mine, best wedges I've ever played.

The new Origin B1-01 and B2-01 putter are down to $150 too. Been wanting to try the B1. May have to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Got the Origin B1 (I like the squared look better), Vapor Pro Irons and the Engage 60 degrees. I have another Nike 60 degree wedge that I'm going to give my son. Thinking about getting the 52 degree as well. Grabbed a bag as well.

Total came out to $600 on the button. Not bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom