Any Golfers on NT?

Unlike a filled hotel that doesn't really impact my enjoyment stuffing a course with other golfers that are mainly there because it was cheap would drastically change my experience. Slowing down the pace of play, having other groups hit into your fairway, divots on the green etc... So while I do understand the Priceline type of golf deal sites there is something to be said for a higher per golfer fee and less course traffic if there isn't a big difference in course revenue. 2 cents

oh for the record... i'm not some stingy punk when it comes to the golf course.... i have no problem dropping 100-150 a round so unless you consider that cheap... well i dont think it is. the only problem i have is the same as prostaffer. i constantly go to courses and i ask if they can match the price of what i would pay if i went online and paid for my round on golfnow (or some other site). most of the time they say yes and i drop the green and go play. but if you are unwilling to honor prices you have elsewhere, then i am unwilling to honor my desire to play on your course. its simple.... golfnow definitely takes a cut. why not charge me the same? i play so much damn golf that golfnow doesnt even charge me for booking online anymore and sometimes gives me a free round or 2. you could charge me their rate + that 2 dollar service fee and i'll be fine with that. but cmon.... stop trying to charge me 80 for a round when 2 clicks on my phone gets me down to 60

Unlike a filled hotel that doesn't really impact my enjoyment stuffing a course with other golfers that are mainly there because it was cheap would drastically change my experience. Slowing down the pace of play, having other groups hit into your fairway, divots on the green etc... So while I do understand the Priceline type of golf deal sites there is something to be said for a higher per golfer fee and less course traffic if there isn't a big difference in course revenue. 2 cents

youre from dc so i dont know how it goes in your area of the world. but prostaffer i believe is from palm springs / la quinta and i live in orange county. there is no such thing as an open golf course in our areas unless youre dropping over 75 bucks on a course or youre playing at odd hours in the day.... i've recorded over 150 rounds in the last 3 years all over la / oc / ie / sd and ive played less than a dozen rounds under 4.5 hours, less than 6 rounds under 4 hours...

[COLOR=#red]Keegan Bradley rocking the Brand Jordans at Memorial.
[/COLOR]

^
laugh.gif
I heard the prices on the R1 was going down pretty significantly... TMag churning out some more bait for the fishes.

youre from dc so i dont know how it goes in your area of the world. but prostaffer i believe is from palm springs / la quinta and i live in orange county. there is no such thing as an open golf course in our areas unless youre dropping over 75 bucks on a course or youre playing at odd hours in the day.... i've recorded over 150 rounds in the last 3 years all over la / oc / ie / sd and ive played less than a dozen rounds under 4.5 hours, less than 6 rounds under 4 hours...
I've had some 6 hour rounds that killed me. Multiple group waits at par 3s. Not fun. But we can still find rounds for about $50 if you drive about an hour into VA or MD.

I've had some 6 hour rounds that killed me. Multiple group waits at par 3s. Not fun. But we can still find rounds for about $50 if you drive about an hour into VA or MD.

I'm actually in the Chicago area. When I get to play private clubs I definitely see the appeal. Full rounds rarely take more than 4 hours and if someone is slow, they will let you play through.

The way golfnow works for many courses is that they take the a certain amount of rounds per day. So say a course has 100 rounds available. Golfnow will list them on their site and make their money from booking fees and taking the greens fees. That is what the "hot deal" is usually that you pay up front for.

In other cases golfnow takes a percentage from the course or charges them based on the round you booked. So even when they aren't charging Kobe and I for booking fees they are getting a percentage back from the course.

Either way, it is a great tool. Still it never hurts to make friends at your local course and see when they can sneak you on. I get free golf from a lot of my connects, but have had no problem dropping 100+ to play some of the better courses here in the state.

Gotta love Team Nike looking good at the Memorial.

1. Charl
T3. Stanley
T3. Henley

we can forget about the other bums haha

Anyone snapped a steel shaft in a swing before? I was just at the range and took a swing, was messing around and chunked it well behind the ball and the shaft snapped clean in half and the head went out into the range a good 30 yards. Supposed to play 9 later today and 18 tomorrow so I had to break down and buy a Vokey since I wouldn't have time to reshaft and be ready :smh: Also not sure how I will play, after breaking that shaft my practice went off a cliff.

looking to upgrade the wedges...

588 RTX vs MP-T4 vs SM4

I play hard/dry conditions so im looking for some that can hold a green (aka spinny)

Last edited:

588 RTX vs MP-T4 vs SM4

I play hard/dry conditions so im looking for some that can hold a green (aka spinny)

Go with Mizuno's. Just played 9 holes and got to use the Vokey quite a bit, felt like my MP R-12 had more bite on half shots than the Vokey, although it is too soon to tell.

Edit: To add a bit more, I think Mizuno has the best sole grinds for their wedges, feels to me the most dynamic. If you are looking at something more specific to your swing type and conditions, also check out Scratch wedges.

Last edited:

588 RTX vs MP-T4 vs SM4

Sounds like you will need something with a low amount of bounce.

There are a lot of good wedges out there. Best thing is to practice a few full swings and see which fits your eye and feel. I am a big fan of Nike, Mizuno and Cleveland in the wedge game.

doing some research myself on golfwrx etc and most people are split on these 3 as the best.

Vokey are obviously the most hyped, the 588 is super spinny but Mizuno gets great comments as an all-around wedge.

Whats the best way to get an accurate feel for them when you in a bay indoors?

588 RTX vs MP-T4 vs SM4

If you are looking for spin check into playing a softer ball too. Picking out a ball should always start from the green to the tee. Not the other way around.

Has anyone tried the new Srixon that has the extra spin coating? Sounds like a gimmick that would wear out after a little, but I'm interested.

Shot 111 today
mean.gif
mean.gif
I feel ya.. shot a 95 yesterday, it was all downhill once i got stuck in the trees on two par 5 hole's. I never know if i should try to beat through the trees and keep the ball low and try to save myself a stroke or take the easy way out and shoot it 20 yards and get back on the fairway... My inner gambler of trying to beat the trees and keep the ball low cost me 3 extra strokes between the two holes
mean.gif

doing some research myself on golfwrx etc and most people are split on these 3 as the best.

Vokey are obviously the most hyped, the 588 is super spinny but Mizuno gets great comments as an all-around wedge.

all conforming grooves pretty much spin the same on a non-rough lie.... the biggest factor is in the rough...

i'd highly suggest you to re-think your outlook in choosing a wedge based on the "most" spin... rather my suggestion to you is to choose a wedge that has the most predictable spin. i used to play spin mill v1 / callaway md grooves / nike vr forged wedges and they actually all spun too much for me. sure its cool to have a wedge stop and zip back on a green but i can't tell you how many times ive tried to chip a shot and the ball would actually stop instead of roll out the extra foot i needed it to. i've actually switched to xft tp wedges and have holed out more holes greenside in the 2-3 years than the previous 10 years of playing....

so going back to your question of how to get an accurate feel for them in an indoor hitting bay its pretty easy. take a wedge and see how accurately you can hit a 30 / 40 / 50 / 75 / 100 yard pitch or chip. you should have a good enough swing to be able to accurately hit those to determine the best feel for a wedge. and if you cant, well then it probably doesn't matter which wedge you pick since you cant even hit a ball accurately sub 100 yards.

It is almost impossible. Try to see if you can find a list of outdoor demo days at public courses near you. Hitting off turf is essential.

If you are in a bind, buying a used wedge is not the worst thing. Buy a used one of a model similar to what you think you like. Practice with it and make your decision from there. Most stores give you a 2-4 week return period on used clubs. If you like the used club go ahead return it and buy the newer version. Just make sure you are buying the same bounce and so on. The grinds may be slightly different, but wedges do not change that much year to y ear.

Going to be playing one of the toughest courses in Oregon in the morning. Hoping to keep it under an 85. Played 9 this afternoon and shot a 39 on a course I had never played before as well. Although it was the ugliest 39 ever. 11 putts, 2 fairways hit, and 3 GIR.

all conforming grooves pretty much spin the same on a non-rough lie.... the biggest factor is in the rough...

i'd highly suggest you to re-think your outlook in choosing a wedge based on the "most" spin... rather my suggestion to you is to choose a wedge that has the most predictable spin. i used to play spin mill v1 / callaway md grooves / nike vr forged wedges and they actually all spun too much for me. sure its cool to have a wedge stop and zip back on a green but i can't tell you how many times ive tried to chip a shot and the ball would actually stop instead of roll out the extra foot i needed it to. i've actually switched to xft tp wedges and have holed out more holes greenside in the 2-3 years than the previous 10 years of playing....

so going back to your question of how to get an accurate feel for them in an indoor hitting bay its pretty easy. take a wedge and see how accurately you can hit a 30 / 40 / 50 / 75 / 100 yard pitch or chip. you should have a good enough swing to be able to accurately hit those to determine the best feel for a wedge. and if you cant, well then it probably doesn't matter which wedge you pick since you cant even hit a ball accurately sub 100 yards.

last summer in TX was so hot and the greens were basically hitting onto concrete so I was hoping with a spinnier wedge I could score better. My Vr wedges have a bunch of little chips and dents from pebbles SMH

Golfsmith has the r11s fairway for 99 right now and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it. I'm not sure if I need the regular or stiff flex though, should I just demo them and see or can you guys provide any insight?

Back
Top Bottom