Any advice on popping "the question"

iblink

Banned
Thinking about taking the leap. Not sure where to start. Don't know her ring size. Don't have a whole lot to spend on a ring. I want to ask her father, but he lives in Jamaica and whenever he comes to visit her, it's only for a few days or when she's sick; asking to speak to him would arouse suspicions.

Any NT'ers care to give tips or share their experiences?

No, I'm not putting her picture on here. Save the "no pics no help" responses.

Before you figure out you how you are going to propose, MAKE SURE you want to propose. Marriage is a lifetime commitment.

But if you do, just keep it simple. Look her in the eye, be sincere, and give her a ring. As long as she is a good woman who is understanding and all about you, the cost shouldn't matter.

Good luck

I swear I read "Any Advice On Pooping"

Had me shook for a second.

Last edited:

get his number from another trustworthy family member that wont spill the beans, call him and have that talk, i think any father would appreciate that, as far as how to pop the question well, thats something only you can answer, trust yourself....im sure you'll know exactly how to do it....dont stress the cost of the ring so much, save up what you can, casually walk by a jewelery store, im sure she'll probably drop hints, just pay attention, or just ask her bff or sister if she has any if shes every eyed a ring....

once youve proposed hit me up for that e-shoot :pimp:.

I asked my fiances mom before I proposed earlier this year. She doesn't speak english but all I had to do was show her the ring and she cried so I took that as yes, she approved :lol: . Anyway, I popped the question during a family party and I did it by tricking her into thinking I was rigging a raffle with movie tickets and that I'd have the announcer calling her name so we could win them. When she opened the box, It'd be empty and that's when she would turn around and I'd be on one knee. Thank god it worked out and it was one of the most joyful days of my life.

My advice for finding out her ring size is to just grab one of her rings when she's not around and that'll give you a rough estimate. They can always adjust it after and she won't really give a damb if it doesn't fit at first. As far as what you spend on a ring, that's entirely up to you and every girl is different. My fiances the least material girl out there but her sister has a 1.5ct ring so I knew deep down, she'd want something superior to that, so I did my shopping and got her the "perfect" ring. You can be slick by subtly bringing up celebrities rings and seeing what kind of setting and diamond cut's she likes/dislikes just to be on the safe side.

At the end of the day, it'll be cliche, but dont worry about it too much and just say what's in your heart when you actually pop the question. I spent an entire day with my sis practicing my proposal but when the time came, I was able to cut my proposal into a couple minutes, threw in a joke for the crowd, then just asked. It may not have been YouTube worthy, but it was very memorable for everybody there and I'm glad all of my closest friends and family were able to share it with us.

Good luck, good sir

I asked my fiances mom before I proposed earlier this year. She doesn't speak english but all I had to do was show her the ring and she cried so I took that as yes, she approved :lol: . Anyway, I popped the question during a family party and I did it by tricking her into thinking I was rigging a raffle with movie tickets and that I'd have the announcer calling her name so we could win them. When she opened the box, It'd be empty and that's when she would turn around and I'd be on one knee. Thank god it worked out and it was one of the most joyful days of my life.
My advice for finding out her ring size is to just grab one of her rings when she's not around and that'll give you a rough estimate. They can always adjust it after and she won't really give a damb if it doesn't fit at first. As far as what you spend on a ring, that's entirely up to you and every girl is different. My fiances the least material girl out there but her sister has a 1.5ct ring so I knew deep down, she'd want something superior to that, so I did my shopping and got her the "perfect" ring. You can be slick by subtly bringing up celebrities rings and seeing what kind of setting and diamond cut's she likes/dislikes just to be on the safe side.
At the end of the day, it'll be cliche, but dont worry about it too much and just say what's in your heart when you actually pop the question. I spent an entire day with my sis practicing my proposal but when the time came, I was able to cut my proposal into a couple minutes, threw in a joke for the crowd, then just asked. It may not have been YouTube worthy, but it was very memorable for everybody there and I'm glad all of my closest friends and family were able to share it with us.
Good luck, good sir

always good to hear these type of stories.

yo i really wonder if some of you dudes on the negative side of this are even speaking from personal experience :lol: or because you think is the funny thing to say....

yo i really wonder if some of you dudes on the negative side of this are even speaking from personal experience :lol: or because you think is the funny thing to say....

I'm trollin.

Can't wait to get married :pimp:

I appreciate all the advice. Especially the replies actually offering answers pertaining to the topic. :lol:

But I'm pretty sure about it guys. I'm 24. About to start my life/career after graduation. Had all the fun I wanted to have during my undergrad days. :lol: I guarantee I've lived out some of you guy's fantasies that are telling me not to do it. i can also guarantee i've nailed more than my fair share of women. I'm ready for something else out of life.

I appreciate all the advice. Especially the replies actually offering answers pertaining to the topic. :lol:
But I'm pretty sure about it guys. I'm 24. About to start my life/career after graduation. Had all the fun I wanted to have during my undergrad days. :lol: I guarantee I've lived out some of you guy's fantasies that are telling me not to do it. i can also guarantee i've nailed more than my fair share of women. I'm ready for something else out of life.

You can get more out of a relationship without legally binding yourself to a potential nightmare in the future. Also if you haven't even started your career why are you trying to get into a potentially expensive ordeal? What will you gain?

You can get more out of a relationship without legally binding yourself to a potential nightmare in the future. Also if you haven't even started your career why are you trying to get into a potentially expensive ordeal? What will you gain?

why do you care??...hes an adult, hes entitled to make his own decision....and what exactly do you mean you can get "more" out of a relationship without marriage?...

Last edited:
why do you care??...hes an adult, hes entitled to make his own decision....and what exactly do you mean you can get "more" out of a relationship without marriage?...

dont you know by now that NT is against marriage :lol:

Last edited:

Why do you care? We all know you are fighting insecurities with your decision to get married, you've been the only one pouncing on peoples opinions against it in this thread. Op wasn't even this upset about it, he gave his reasons for why he thinks he should do it, i merely asked him a question about it. You can take steps together with a partner towards any lifestyle you choose without an expensive demonstrative ceremony while avoiding the legal pitfalls of a possible split. Statistics show a marriage is more likely to end than not. Btw OP I'm assuming this is not being done for religious reasons for the purpose of this discussion.

Back
Top Bottom