Another tipping thread.

According to a report released on Tuesday by compensation site PayScale.com, waiters and waitresses earn a median of just $8.20 per hour in tips (and their median overall pay when base pay and tips are taken into account is $13.20 per hour). Bartenders fare a little better, but are still far from rich: Their median hourly tips total $9.60 and total typical hourly pay $16.30. The report examined 15,000 profiles of food service workers from January 2013 to January 2015.

In some cities, bartenders and waitstaff fare better than others. Indeed, despite the high cost of a boozy night out on the town in New York City, Big Apple bartenders aren't tipped that well, making a median of just $7.10 per hour in tips (the lowest among the cities examined) and total typical pay of $15.10 per hour (the second lowest total pay behind Philadelphia). Meanwhile, San Francisco’s bartenders fared best with the highest median hourly tips ($15.50) as well as the highest typical hourly income ($26.50).

Cities  where bartenders get the highest — and lowest — tips

Waiters and waitresses tend to make even less in tips than bartenders — especially in Minneapolis, where the median hourly tips total just $6.90 — the lowest of all the cities measured. Meanwhile, waiters in Boston and Miami are raking in $13 per hour in tips.

Cities where waitstaff get the highest — and lowest — tips

Last edited:
Depending on the order, it's not far fetched to throw a buck or two for the person who took the order over the phone and prepared it for you upon pick up. I personally don't regularly do it, but I have, and I've seen it done and the reasonings behind it.
Yall dudes are HIGH. What the hell is the point of doing TAKE OUT if you are still going to tip. SOmething that you do for dine in. I don't get yall

If it came out to 10 I woulda left 12.
If I didn't have cash I would've used a card and left no tip.
Then again I prob wouldn't sit at the bar knowing I'm not going to order drinks.

I just always leave 13 even though they don't do anything forreal

Depending on the order, it's not far fetched to throw a buck or two for the person who took the order over the phone and prepared it for you upon pick up. I personally don't regularly do it, but I have, and I've seen it done and the reasonings behind it.
Yall dudes are HIGH. What the hell is the point of doing TAKE OUT if you are still going to tip. SOmething that you do for dine in. I don't get yall

If I'm buying food at the Spanish spot and the order is like 18 bucks I'll give a 20 and just walk away.

Sometimes singles bother me.

$14 meal  for 3 ppl 

images

I've received dirty looks for using a gift card to pay for dinner.

It was a wedding gift! What am I suppose to do? Return the gift and ask for cash?

just got back from Colombia and the people were so humble out there...

server would bring our check and ask if it's okay if they put a service charge because it was 8 of us.

tippin like crazy out there. they loved us :smokin

especially the skrippers :pimp:

I was at the mall yesterday, those annoying cats that work at the carts that sell shoe cleaner kept nagging me to let him clean my shoes and let him show me a demonstration of their product.

After saying no twice, he kept persisting, the shoes were already clean and it was my second time wearing them. He did his demonstration, and I told him thanks and when I tried to go on my way, he asked for a tip, I told him I didn't have anything on me, and he made a big stink about how i "stiffed him and played him" even though it was him who kept persisting to give me a demonstration even though I kept saying no.

I kinda thought it was funny, but im sure anyone who got those shoe cleaning carts in their local mall knows how damn annoying those employees can be.

was this at fox hills mall (westfield culver city) :lol:

Last edited:
I didn't tip the bartendersso we good at sg since I ain't coming back? And we all the same people etc..

Good talk

The No-Tipping Point - Freakonomics Freakonomics http://freakonomics.com/podcast/danny-meyer/

The restaurant business model is warped: kitchen wages are too low to hire cooks, while diners are put in charge of paying the waitstaff. So what happens if you eliminate tipping, raise menu prices, and redistribute the wealth? New York restaurant maverick Danny Meyer is about to find out.

Good talk

The No-Tipping Point - Freakonomics Freakonomics http://freakonomics.com/podcast/danny-meyer/

The restaurant business model is warped: kitchen wages are too low to hire cooks, while diners are put in charge of paying the waitstaff. So what happens if you eliminate tipping, raise menu prices, and redistribute the wealth? New York restaurant maverick Danny Meyer is about to find out.
restaurant business has always intrigued me in how do they stay afloat and competitive when there are so many other options, especially in a place like nyc?

...and holy **** @ the tuition bill for the certificate program at the culinary school, $30k for six months 
sick.gif

Last edited:
Culinary school is so damn expensive for a damn job with long hours and garbage pay. People thinking they gonna become a famous food network chef or tv personality but end up in a small kitchen making pennies.

I don't think for takeout. Don't see why I would, since the whole point of tipping is for the service you received. Did they box the food up extra nice?? :smh:

Last edited:
I didn't know some people tipped when they would pick up their food. My friend and I were picking up an order and he asked me how much he should tip them. I looked at him all confused.

people tipping on picking up donuts..

so shake shack is just over charging? i mean i hear inn out pays pretty decent, yet is still cheapr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom