Annoying Retail Employees vol Leave Me Alone

It goes both ways with retail, their are some very very annoying customers but lets talk about the employees.   Having worked retail before I sympathize with these people and try to be polite and considerate when I go in their stores but some of the stuff they say/do makes me
laugh.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

Most of this stuff I blame on corporate higher ups who think nagging and harassing every customer that walks into the store is good business, and they brainwash this crap on their managers who then brainwash it to their employees.

1.  I know the intentions are good but when I walk into a store it makes me wanna leave that store if i'm bombarted with about 5 fake smiles and greetings and being followed around with people nagging and asking me what i'm looking for over and over again. I don't mind the first time because their being polite but following me around and asking again and again gets on my nerves so I usually tell them in a nice way that I know their manager wants them to do this to every customer that walks in and that their intent is good but I feel very uncomfortable being followed around, I know what I want or what I'm here for so let me get it and be on my way.

2. Employees who try and push stupid add on items and are persistent about it.   Footlocker, Footaction, Champs, Lids  please read this one.    Again I blame this one on the corporate suits who give managers unrealistic sales goals and want them to reach these numbers and have a certain percentage of add on sales,  shoe cleaners,  hat cleaners, insoles, hatracks etc. The managers then bug their employees about nagging customers about this stuff  which is why you'll have a footlocker employee damn near ready to top you off if you buy insoles, or a cleaner because of those stupid sales numbers. Again just like with the greeting and asking me if i need help, I don't mind them offering it once but asking me if I'm sure over and over again is just annoying,  I was sure the first time so why would I change my mind next time around.

3. Lazy unhelpful employees.    You tend to find these more at smaller stores since they don't have a corporate office pushing crazy policies on them. These are just as bad as the overly nagging employees.  You can talk about whatever party you went to last night or you can talk to your girl on the company phone once I leave but when I'm trying to buy something or ask for something  get what I need, get me out of there and go back to whatever conversation you had.

4. Dumb employees.   These are a dime a dozen at footlocker and footaction.  I'm a realist and I know when you pay cheap wages your not going to get knowledgable shoe experts like some on here but if that's the case then don't have the bird brain broads who are only working there because the manager is smashing or for eye candy purposes pick up the phone. I've called stores many times asking for a certain shoe and the dumb broad who answered said they didn't have it only for me to go in the store and they have a full size run. That's why whenever I call a store now asking for something if the person sounds unsure or doesn't know what i'm talking about I just ask to speak to someone else.

Originally Posted by SJSneakerheadIII

As much as you hate being bothered, they hate bothering you just as much.

In the end, it's part of the job.

This.

At my job (Gap) our manager tells us "you need to be customer obsessed, you have 10 seconds when someone walks into the the store to give them every promotion, and make sure you follow up on them."
To be honest, I only do it to keep my manager off my back, I could really care less what a person wants.

word.
you think i like asking your broke $@+ if you wanna apply for a credit card when your homeless lookin $@+ walked into my store?

you know what i hate, when i worked retail, you say "hi, need any help?" when they walk in, and they gave you a stank $@+ attitude....... then 5 mins later they got a stank $@+ attitude talkin about "why no one wants to help me"
smh.gif
smh.gif

fake $@+ smiles? yea cause im happy to see your $@+ 

smh.gif
tell me about it

I was just at Guess in the mall last week tryna get a few shirts and right when I walked in I got bombarded by a whole bunch of salespeople. I would have 2 or 3 floating around me at any minute and it just felt mad uncomfortable. Every time I would spend more than 5 seconds looking at a shirt, someone would suggests it's worth the buy
laugh.gif

The funny thing was that all the salespeople were young ladies wearing some tight, skimpy clothes like that would draw more sales (it probably does though). It was sad how they were all tryna flirt just for that commission
smh.gif
. I got told that certain colors look great on me and that was cute/handsome more times that day than ever before. When I went to the register, I ended up telling them that this young lady in the back who asked me if I needed help one time and then went back to work and didn't bug me helped me out. I got mean mugged by the other employees as I walked out
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I read the title and automatically thought OP was gonna rant about the employees that work at cell phone kiosks in malls.

laugh.gif

i hate when im at a restaurant and the people ask you if everythings alright 2 minutes after you get your food

Originally Posted by horchata kid

This.

At my job (Gap) our manager tells us "you need to be customer obsessed, you have 10 seconds when someone walks into the the store to give them every promotion, and make sure you follow up on them."
To be honest, I only do it to keep my manager off my back, I could really care less what a person wants.

I know what your talking about  but having worked retail I let the employees know that and try to get them to back off a tad bit in a nice way. Usually I get a few laughs from them and a response like, "Man this +@!# gets annoying"

When I worked at my old job, I would tell the customers after greeting them and asking them about add on items once that my punk %%* manager wants me to ask you the same questions over and over again so don't take it the wrong way just go along with me
laugh.gif

You can always tell which stores tell their employees to give extra attention to brothas
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by mike23theking

I read the title and automatically thought OP was gonna rant about the employees that work at cell phone kiosks in malls.

laugh.gif

oh their just as bad,   one time i was with my ex walkin through the mall and one of them tried to get me to get a phone with that "free phone" pitch, i just ignored it and dude was like "don't you think your girl wants to be with someone with a new phone"   i told him " don't think your girl wants to see you with a job thats not strictly commission based so you guys can be eatin every day"   dude had the
mad.gif
look and was on to bugging the next one.

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

2. Employees who try and push stupid add on items and are persistent about it.   Footlocker, Footaction, Champs, Lids  please read this one.    Again I blame this one on the corporate suits who give managers unrealistic sales goals and want them to reach these numbers and have a certain percentage of add on sales,  shoe cleaners,  hat cleaners, insoles, hatracks etc. The managers then bug their employees about nagging customers about this stuff  which is why you'll have a footlocker employee damn near ready to top you off if you buy insoles, or a cleaner because of those stupid sales numbers. Again just like with the greeting and asking me if i need help, I don't mind them offering it once but asking me if I'm sure over and over again is just annoying,  I was sure the first time so why would I change my mind next time around.

Wow
laugh.gif
. That was me back in High School when i use to work at Champs trying hard as hell to sell some insoles, cleaner, and socks (1,2,3's).

Saying dumb stuff like, "May i interest you in some insoles? there really good if your active and going to gym cause it absorbs shock from constant pounding the ground gives off that may affect your ankles and knees and it relieves joint pain in your legs. Once i see that there somewhat interested then i go even further and say stupid stuff like Usain Bolt wore these at last years Olympics and it got a 5 star rating in this months Runners Digest. That crap would actually work to
happy.gif

I find the workers at Lids to be the most annoying. I went there one day to find a lime green pirates fitted, which they didn't have in stock anymore, and the clerk kept bugging me saying He'll get a plain hat and just sew the P on there 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

i hate when im at a restaurant and the people ask you if everythings alright 2 minutes after you get your food

When I worked at IHOP, they wanted us to do it after 30 seconds

Originally Posted by BLinK

I find the workers at Lids to be the most annoying. I went there one day to find a lime green pirates fitted, which they didn't have in stock anymore, and the clerk kept bugging me saying He'll get a plain hat and just sew the P on there 
laugh.gif

The Lids workers at the stores that have emboridery machines are the worst. Trust me I used to be an assistant manager for them.  Corporate wants 7% of their entire sales to be sales that are custom embroridery orders. they will nag, harass, and bug the hell out of you to the point of no return. I used to get so much crap from my manager and the higher ups because I was the only person who in their words, "Wasn't on top of the customers" when it came to selling that garbage.  They didn't offer commission for that crap so I didn't care about no sales numbers.

Originally Posted by air max 87

word.
you think i like asking your broke $@+ if you wanna apply for a credit card when your homeless lookin $@+ walked into my store?

you know what i hate, when i worked retail, you say "hi, need any help?" when they walk in, and they gave you a stank $@+ attitude....... then 5 mins later they got a stank $@+ attitude talkin about "why no one wants to help me"
smh.gif
smh.gif

fake $@+ smiles? yea cause im happy to see your $@+ 

yes
mad.gif

Worst is the smart a hole at the register trying to get cool with you by saying shiet like

"This sale is just for YOU, dont tell anyone Im hooking you up" Gave dude a mean attitude after insulting my intelligence like that.

almost punched him but dude was a loser already so pass..

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

Worst is the smart a hole at the register trying to get cool with you by saying shiet like

"This sale is just for YOU, dont tell anyone Im hooking you up" Gave dude a mean attitude after insulting my intelligence like that.

got you thinkin your gettin the denise 5 layer burrito taco bell deal
laugh.gif

Its funny. I went to Macys last week after to school to look at a couple things. I was dressed in shorts and a tee, and when I was in the jeans section, I was harassed. When I moved onto the formal section to look at button ups, I was ignored for the entire time I was there. I noticed that in most department stores thats usually how it works.

Originally Posted by horchata kid

This.

Originally Posted by Kicktionair

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

If you want to see all of those and many more techniques executed on customers go to BestBuy...
nerd.gif

BestBuy feeds its employees more propaganda than anyone out there..

Originally Posted by MHT214

If you want to see all of those and many more techniques executed on customers go to BestBuy...
nerd.gif

BestBuy feeds its employees more propaganda than anyone out there..

i NEVER get helped/bothered in BB (not complaining though).. maybe its cause i only hit the cds, movies, and games?

I never worked retail in my life, am I missing out? (expect a paycheck)

Btw, some of you complain way to much. If a customer asked me a stupid question, I'd just correct them and keep it moving, it really does not effect my life.

OP- i work in retail. You just dont know how it is working in retail, i can agree with the last thing you said, though.

Back
Top Bottom