Andrew Luck staying at Stanford?

Sam Bradford came back, had MULTIPLE injuries and still went #1.  Its his choice, ive got no problem with it.

Sam Bradford came back, had MULTIPLE injuries and still went #1.  Its his choice, ive got no problem with it.

Originally Posted by pokeyneil30

my buddy plays for stanford, and apparently Luck addressed the team a few weeks ago saying he was going to be back next year to graduate and there was no doubt in his mind. its crazy how he just turned down ridiculous amounts of money like its no big deal

I guess since his family is so well off it's not as big of a deal as it is to the rest of us.

I just hope he doesn't end up regretting his decision next year

Originally Posted by pokeyneil30

my buddy plays for stanford, and apparently Luck addressed the team a few weeks ago saying he was going to be back next year to graduate and there was no doubt in his mind. its crazy how he just turned down ridiculous amounts of money like its no big deal

I guess since his family is so well off it's not as big of a deal as it is to the rest of us.

I just hope he doesn't end up regretting his decision next year

Originally Posted by Durden7

This.  Plus he also wants to graduate as well...

This.  Plus he also wants to graduate as well...

Stanford Poon > NFL Groupies ?????

Damn, i just had a mental picture of dude sitting at a table and someone dropping 90 Million on the table in front of him

and him standing up and walking away.

sick.gif

Damn, i just had a mental picture of dude sitting at a table and someone dropping 90 Million on the table in front of him

sick.gif

Originally Posted by yungchamp

white boy move....black dude outta there we gotta take care of the fam with that nfl money!
I am white and if I was the potential #1 pick in any sports draft I would declare without thinking twice. This fool is an idiot. Stanford architect degrees cant produce NFL money at 22.

Originally Posted by yungchamp

white boy move....black dude outta there we gotta take care of the fam with that nfl money!
I am white and if I was the potential #1 pick in any sports draft I would declare without thinking twice. This fool is an idiot. Stanford architect degrees cant produce NFL money at 22.

obviously, it's his choice..

just not sure it is a wise one (or 1 that I would have made), based on the following 3 points:

1) we can on all agree Luck does plan to continue to play football at the collegiate and eventually on the NFL level
-my problem with this is pretty obvious, it's a violent sport and you only have so many hits/years in you, so it's probably better to get paid for as many of those hits/years while you possibly can [since draft stock isn't an issue and probably will be rendered moot anyways from this draft to the subsequent draft(s)]

2) the looming new collective bargaining agreement
- point 1 overlaps with point 2 because with point 2 it seems inevitable that they will introduce a rookie salary scale (so no more 50 mill QBs at no.1, thus cutting down on your overall earning potential in the short lifespan a player has in the league)

3) just because he left, it doesn't mean he couldn't finish his degree
- this is my biggest problem, dude has probably being taking summer classes since he first worked on campus (considering the players have to be there for summer workouts and stuff) so I'm pretty sure he should be fairly close to graduating (he has been there 3 years).. soooooo what is stopping him from taking classes this summer or continuing to take class IF there is a lockout (thus graduating in a pretty short period AND making the extra 10s of millions of dollars that he'll prob lose due to point 2)

obviously it's dude's decision.. i just don't get it

obviously, it's his choice..

just not sure it is a wise one (or 1 that I would have made), based on the following 3 points:

1) we can on all agree Luck does plan to continue to play football at the collegiate and eventually on the NFL level
-my problem with this is pretty obvious, it's a violent sport and you only have so many hits/years in you, so it's probably better to get paid for as many of those hits/years while you possibly can [since draft stock isn't an issue and probably will be rendered moot anyways from this draft to the subsequent draft(s)]

- point 1 overlaps with point 2 because with point 2 it seems inevitable that they will introduce a rookie salary scale (so no more 50 mill QBs at no.1, thus cutting down on your overall earning potential in the short lifespan a player has in the league)

- this is my biggest problem, dude has probably being taking summer classes since he first worked on campus (considering the players have to be there for summer workouts and stuff) so I'm pretty sure he should be fairly close to graduating (he has been there 3 years).. soooooo what is stopping him from taking classes this summer or continuing to take class IF there is a lockout (thus graduating in a pretty short period AND making the extra 10s of millions of dollars that he'll prob lose due to point 2)

obviously it's dude's decision.. i just don't get it

Originally Posted by miamib30514

sick.gif

Word man. Crazy

Originally Posted by miamib30514

sick.gif

Word man. Crazy

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

1.  Isnt he more likely to take MORE hits at the NFL level than he is at Stanford?  I dont know the gradutating status of his O-Line, but Carolinas is AWFUL.  Jimmy almost died on the field a few times this year.
2.  Someone correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt the rookie wage scale be in place for THIS draft.  Doesnt the CBA end before the draft and therefore any new contracts signed (rookies) be under the new CBA which will most likely contain a rookie wage scale.  I might be wrong on the dates, but I do believe the CBA ends before the draft.
3. Yes, he can get his degree at any time but isnt there something to getting your degree with your friends and people of your own age?  He says hes on pace to graduate in 2012.  He prolly wants to be in his classes with his friends/people in his major.

I cant say if I would make the same decision, but I certainly see why he made the choice and I dont think hes dumb at all for making the call he did.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

1.  Isnt he more likely to take MORE hits at the NFL level than he is at Stanford?  I dont know the gradutating status of his O-Line, but Carolinas is AWFUL.  Jimmy almost died on the field a few times this year.
2.  Someone correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt the rookie wage scale be in place for THIS draft.  Doesnt the CBA end before the draft and therefore any new contracts signed (rookies) be under the new CBA which will most likely contain a rookie wage scale.  I might be wrong on the dates, but I do believe the CBA ends before the draft.
3. Yes, he can get his degree at any time but isnt there something to getting your degree with your friends and people of your own age?  He says hes on pace to graduate in 2012.  He prolly wants to be in his classes with his friends/people in his major.

I cant say if I would make the same decision, but I certainly see why he made the choice and I dont think hes dumb at all for making the call he did.

Hopefully his people talk to him because this could end up costing him a lot $$$.

He has to enter the draft now, and sign that contract and signing bonus before the lockout and the new rookie salary scale is implemented.

Hopefully his people talk to him because this could end up costing him a lot $$$.

He has to enter the draft now, and sign that contract and signing bonus before the lockout and the new rookie salary scale is implemented.

Back
Top Bottom