All my gym heads, how much are you spending on groceries a week? vol Budgeting

Are bread and cheese unhealthy?  He seems to run a lot so he'll burn it off anyway.
Sounds like a lot of you don't incorporate vegetables into your meals.  Most of it is protein.

Originally Posted by CIDMAN911

And you don't have to spend tremendous amounts of money on Whey, Creatine, Glutamine, food to eat/live gym healthy.

That train of thought it was makes some heads not even wanna bother with getting into lifting/running regularly...They think you gotta eat a pound of steak a day to get brolic = Negative.

Most supermarkets have stuff with pretty much the same ingredients/blends as those of GNC.

This one here is $20 at my Stop & Shop. Sometimes on sale for $15. That's when I usually buy as many as they got.

Usually lasts me up to 2 weeks....Something similar in weight @ GNC is usually retail $30- 40. $20 if you happen to catch it on sale, the first week of the month. Same thing with the Creatine. Always a dumb cheaper price, around my area anyway.
074312443152.jpg

I can keep goin on and on but there's already a thousand page thread on NT about fitness and health w/ tons of budgeting tips provided.

But the best Creatines are more expensive than others. 

Originally Posted by shogun

Are bread and cheese unhealthy?  He seems to run a lot so he'll burn it off anyway.
Sounds like a lot of you don't incorporate vegetables into your meals.  Most of it is protein.
Word, it looks like all people eat here is chicken breasts and starch.

Some of yall must live with moms or something because it costs way more
than $20-40 week to completely feed yourself.

I try to spend as close to $100 as I can but usually more like $130-$150.
And it used to be at least another $75 on beer for the fridge.

Originally Posted by Though

Originally Posted by jschue

I actually eat pretty healthy. Typical shopping list is:
4-5 fuji apples
bannanas
fresh asparagus
fresh green beans
2 loaves of bread
pack of string cheese
half dozen bagels
box of cereal
2 boxes of instant oatmeal
gallon milk
lunch meat
sliced provolone cheese
frozen pizza
chips and salsa

package of frozen fish (gotta get that omega-3 action in)
chicken breast
instant mac and cheese
fig newtons
pimp.gif

orange juice
yogurt

*scratches head
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Chicken breasts - $20/week
Veggies - $10
Egg whites - $5
Fruit - $10
Oatmeal -$5
Other stuff (Olive oil, cottage cheese, tuna, lentils, coffee, milk etc etc) - $20

So like $70 a week.

I'm not a fan of Whey Protein. I know its convenient and effective post workout but I think real food is more healthy and more filling. The $30/month spent on Whey Protein could be spent on real protein sources (Chicken, beef, fish, etc) if you are on a budget. I never really understood the purpose of buying Whey Protein when on a budget. It's costlier than real food.

Probably the unhealthiest thing I consume is sweeteners (Aspartame free). I'll try to lay off them but oatmeal, coffee, cottage cheese is tasteless without them. Yes, I put fruit in my oatmeal and cottage cheese but it isnt sweet enough for me. I tried to lay off the sweeteners a month ago but I found an unopened box laying around and so the vicious cycle continues.
smh.gif

And you don't have to spend tremendous amounts of money on Whey, Creatine, Glutamine, food to eat/live gym healthy.

That train of thought it was makes some heads not even wanna bother with getting into lifting/running regularly...They think you gotta eat a pound of steak a day to get brolic = Negative.

Most supermarkets have stuff with pretty much the same ingredients/blends as those of GNC.

This one here is $20 at my Stop & Shop. Sometimes on sale for $15. That's when I usually buy as many as they got.

Usually lasts me up to 2 weeks....Something similar in weight @ GNC is usually retail $30- 40. $20 if you happen to catch it on sale, the first week of the month. Same thing with the Creatine. Always a dumb cheaper price, around my area anyway.
074312443152.jpg

I can keep goin on and on but there's already a thousand page thread on NT about fitness and health w/ tons of budgeting tips provided.
They sell the exact same thing at wal-mart for $14.99 thats where I get mine Chocolate tho

Whole 2x per month. I get organic stuff whenever possible but some items you don't need to go that route:

Organic Fruits (anything with thin skin) such as grapes, apples, pears, blueberries etc. A lot of the overseas fruits have high amounts of pesticides so thin layered fruits are hit the worst, I also frequent the farmers market. Any fruit/veggie with thick layering of skin doesn't need to be organic.

Organic peanut butter, organic blue berry spread, cold cuts such as honey ham, honey turkey, and swiss cheese, organic oatmeal, organic cereals, TUNA (only in bags, cans are terrible for you), chicken breast, fresh coffee beans, organic spinach, organic milk (sometimes rice milk), etc

A little less than 200$ month, usually $150.

Saves a lot of money since I leave a lot of food at my job since there is a fridge, beats paying for $10 lunches in midtown.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Veggies - $10
Egg whites - $5
Fruit - $10
Oatmeal -$5
Other stuff (Olive oil, cottage cheese, tuna, lentils, coffee, milk etc etc) - $20

So like $70 a week.

I'm not a fan of Whey Protein. I know its convenient and effective post workout but I think real food is more healthy and more filling. The $30/month spent on Whey Protein could be spent on real protein sources (Chicken, beef, fish, etc) if you are on a budget. I never really understood the purpose of buying Whey Protein when on a budget. It's costlier than real food.

Probably the unhealthiest thing I consume is sweeteners (Aspartame free). I'll try to lay off them but oatmeal, coffee, cottage cheese is tasteless without them. Yes, I put fruit in my oatmeal and cottage cheese but it isnt sweet enough for me. I tried to lay off the sweeteners a month ago but I found an unopened box laying around and so the vicious cycle continues.
smh.gif
The 5lb tub of ON Whey I buy is $35 and has 77 servings. Which comes out to 45c a serving for 24g of pure protein. Goodluck finding that in "real food." Not to mention it tastes delicious and is much easier to make and drink a shake PWO than cook chicken. It's all around essential for muscle building.

Originally Posted by WarMachine

Veggies - $10
Egg whites - $5
Fruit - $10
Oatmeal -$5

So like $70 a week.

smh.gif
The 5lb tub of ON Whey I buy is $35 and has 77 servings. Which comes out to 45c a serving for 24g of pure protein. Goodluck finding that in "real food." Not to mention it tastes delicious and is much easier to make and drink a shake PWO than cook chicken. It's all around essential for muscle building.
Whey protein isn't essential for muscle building though. That is a huge myth.

I realize that whey protein is more convenient but it isnt much cheaper (maybe not cheaper at all) than whole food. Furthermore, if you prepare your meals in advance then you shouldnt have to rely on whey too much.

Originally Posted by Meangene4

Mez 0ne wrote:
Whole 2x per month. I get organic stuff whenever possible but some items you don't need to go that route:

Organic Fruits (anything with thin skin) such as grapes, apples, pears, blueberries etc. A lot of the overseas fruits have high amounts of pesticides so thin layered fruits are hit the worst, I also frequent the farmers market. Any fruit/veggie with thick layering of skin doesn't need to be organic.

Organic peanut butter, organic blue berry spread, cold cuts such as honey ham, honey turkey, and swiss cheese, organic oatmeal, organic cereals, TUNA (only in bags, cans are terrible for you), chicken breast, fresh coffee beans, organic spinach, organic milk (sometimes rice milk), etc

Saves a lot of money since I leave a lot of food at my job since there is a fridge, beats paying for $10 lunches in midtown.
Whats wrong with the cans?

Just the Mercury levels and such, not a good thing.

They also taste better out of the bags, try it out once. They are a little pricier though but the serving size is higher as opposed to a can.

If you are a 140 lb woman eating 1 6 oz can of Albacore Tuna = you are getting 140% of the EPA limit of Mercury exposure!  For a 65 lb. child eating 3 oz. = 150% of the EPA limit of ‘safe’ mercury exposure.

There is even an ‘Advanced Calculator’ for people who consume more than 1 serving a week!  Brace yourself – you will be shocked at how much mercury you may be consuming!
Here is what I found for myself and the fish I like -
  • Tilapia -  0%
  • Salmon – 0%
  • Scallop – 20%
  • Flounder – 20%
  • Crab/Shrimp – 20%
  • Cod – 30%
  • Light Tuna – 50%
Now the NOT so good list -  (I ate occasionally and will now be avoiding!)
  • Mahi Mahi – 60%
  • Halibut – 90%
  • Lobster – 110%
  • Yellow fin Tuna – 120%
  • Albacore Tuna – 130%
  • Orange Roughy – 200%

Originally Posted by Though

$20-40 tops

All I really eat is gym-rat food...

Whey protein, Bananas, Eggs, Wheat bread, Milk, Tuna, Peanut Butter, Gatorade G2's
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
...you're no gym rat.

and what are you folks buying?  eating healthy cost MONEY! 20-40 dollars is minuscule 
What I'm sayin'.....I already spent about 50-60 a week and I'm not even eating every meal healthy like i'm supposed to because of school. I'll have a better gauge because my summer schedule would kick in about 2 weeks from now. I would say anywhere from about 60-70 a week is probably enough. That's if you shop smart. 

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Originally Posted by Meangene4

Mez 0ne wrote:

Whats wrong with the cans?

Just the Mercury levels and such, not a good thing

Maaaaaan, I was looking forward to a nice tuna sandwich on a bagel
frown.gif

They won't listen man
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by Sixfoot nathan

for those who eat eggs everyday for lunch and dinner meals, could you share some recipes
it gets tiring eating the same stuff everyday.. gotta switch it up a little

i usually cook up mushrooms and cheese with my omelettes.. brocolli on occasion
what spices or other ways to make eggs more interesting
1. Boiled eggs
2. Omlet style, but don't fold it over, put it on some bread + some sauteed veggies + browned lunch meat
3. Egg salad, whatever you do with tuna do the same here

Just a few ideas.

I eat 4 eggs, 1 whole as my last meal before I go to sleep.  I eat it with maybe vegetables or oatmeal so that the fiber slows down the digestion of the protein because sometimes I don't get the chance to eat a meal in the morning.

My deal is smart balance butter + eggs + black pepper + tyme leaves.  I don't like to add the broccoli into the eggs I keep them seperate.  Basil is also nice with eggs but don't use too much or it can have an overpowering taste.  Sauteed mushrooms is also a nice addition.

your last meal before going to sleep is eggs with veggies and oatmeal to slow digestion?
in the morning i usually dispose of everything from the night before, so whats the point?
i skip breakfast 99% of the time unfortunately.. just wondering how that works

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

They won't listen man
pimp.gif
Thats not the purpose of consuming whey protein, though.  its not a meal replacement.

as far as veggies...what do you guys usually eat? and are frozen veggies no good? i feel like ive heard frozen veggies lose much of their nutrition

^ word

just went to the grocery store. got the following:

- turkey breast deli meat
- chicken breast
- salmon (bagged tuna style)
- apples
- bananas
- grapes
- strawberries
- broccoli
- green beans
- milk
- oatmeal
- bread
- sliced cheddar from the deli

that ran me about 40 bucks. it's good for half a week probably. i also just moved back home so my rents have a lot of other stuff i'd normally eat. only went half a week since im going away for a wedding the 2nd half. so i'd say about 80-90 a week to eat right, 100-120 if you live on your own

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

as far as veggies...what do you guys usually eat? and are frozen veggies no good? i feel like ive heard frozen veggies lose much of their nutrition
Raw veggies are the best for you.

Celery
Carrots
Salads

I usually just steam some broccoli when I want veggies. Also the water that those cooked veggie produce, I always drink afterward.

Back
Top Bottom