African Descendants ✊🏿 Black People - Americas, Africa, Caribbean Culture Discussion

I certainly wasn’t celebrating and laughing in his defeat. I wasn’t rooting for or cheering him on though either, cuz I knew what it was - he was the less skilled boxer. Must I be a fan of every single black athlete?

If you want to celebrate the good that he’s said, you also have to acknowledge some of the BS he’s said as well.

I certainly wasn’t celebrating and laughing in his defeat. I wasn’t rooting for or cheering him on though either, cuz I knew what it was - he was the less skilled boxer. Must I be a fan of every single black athlete?

If you want to celebrate the good that he’s said, you also have to acknowledge some of the BS he’s said as well.

You don’t have to be a super fan of his. Why bring up something totally irrelevant to the situation to justify you NOT cheering for him? He is a boxer and boxing is a vicious sport. He said he wanted a body before a fight years ago just to show you how devastating he could be and now your using it against him vs a non black boxer?

if you’re a black man and if there is a fight between a black man vs a non black man, unless he personally did something to you, you should be cheering for the black man to win.

LOYALTY TO YOUR PEOPLE

Lol it was less than a year ago that he said that. A man’s words should be held into account when assessing their character. It’s not even that I dislike Wilder (I don’t), he just happened to be facing a superior fighter who I found to be more likeable (and white). For example, I’m not a huge Mayweather fan - but I found myself rooting for him when he was fighting McGregor (who has a crappy attitude...and is white).

I can’t support someone solely on account of race. It can be a big factor, but not the only factor. Character counts too.

Not all skinfolk is your kinfolk.

Not all skinfolk is kinfolk, but you damned well better believe that my skin folk will get the benefit of the doubt FIRST.

I'll sort out the rest of the mess later.....:lol:

I haven't seen any black person that's happy he lost lol, i've just seen memes. No one is immune to them, you lose a sporting event, dudes gonna clown you. Fury was the better fighter, and that's really all there is to it. I said he was gonna win because he's better from a technical stand point, and that's what ended up happening. I don't really think it's that big of a deal that he lost, he'll get the third fight and maybe he'll win again. The memes is just 2020 internet culture. Can't really see a racial angle for this.

The thing about boxing (or any other combat sport) is that it’s one vs one and its easy to cheer for A vs B.

unlike team sports, where it’s usually your local affinity. There’s no racial component in it for the most part. Lakers vs Knicks isn’t black vs white.

Fury vs Wilder is. Mayweather vs Mcgregor is.

trust me I like Tyson Fury, very likeable guy. However, I’m not gonna cheer him over a brother that consistently speak about black power issues. Are you kidding me theafricandream theafricandream . Then your only justification is that he said “he wants to body bag someone” as to why his character should judged and he’s a boxer whose job is to beat someone up? Not, him wearing gear to commemorate black history

then you say “not all kinfolk is skin folk” as if he is a sellout black man?

I swear sometimes we try our best to justify NOT to uplift a brother. I don’t know man. I give up 😔

There is difference between “wanting someone to win” and “knowing someone will win”

I would root for a black man vs a non black man in a 1 v 1 competition any day of the week, even if I’m 99% sure the brother will lose.

Fam I’m with you 9/10 times, but I guess we’ll just have agree to disagree on this one. I thought Fury should’ve won the first fight, so I was expecting the same this time around. Even despite the catching a body statement, I still didn’t dislike Wilder. I just think as a boxer, he’s not as technically/fundamentally sound as others. It’s really not much of a racial thing for me in this instance.

My statement “not all skinfolk is your kinfolk” had less to do with Wilder (and sports in general) and more to do with your position of supporting someone solely on account of them being black. Yeah, most times I want to give my people the benefit of the doubt, but unfortunately the truth is not everyone is idealistic as some of us here are. That’s just not reality. You’ll be food in some places with that mindset.

Put another way, they ain’t your brother cuz you the same color. Don’t get caught sleeping.

575F8EFC-D0D8-469E-A613-96BC5BB3CC5B.jpeg

a civil discussion can be had here. if you like.
Yea. A lot of my Neigerian friends have haves horrible views about American Blacks. I have many Nigerian homies who didn’t know anything about Black history when I met them. This, they buy into stereotypical tropes about blacks being lazy, criminals, bad people,etc. I introduce them to Black history and they begin to change, but it’s been a problem amongst the many Nigerians I know. They even tell me how it’s common practice to talk bad about Africans. American Blacks have always been welcoming to ALL cultures(the civil rights movement was multicultural). Blacks welcome Africans with open arms(set aside micro negative experiences with American Blacks). Overwhelmingly, American Blacks have been welcoming to Nigerians, we have fought for policies against them, we’ve fought for them to even have the ability to come to the states and succeed, Embrace African culture. Many Nigerians don’t don’t embrace Black American culture, although Black American culture is the reason why they have opportunities in the states.

Yea. A lot of my Neigerian friends have haves horrible views about American Blacks. I have many Nigerian homies who didn’t know anything about Black history when I met them. This, they buy into stereotypical tropes about blacks being lazy, criminals, bad people,etc. I introduce them to Black history and they begin to change, but it’s been a problem amongst the many Nigerians I know. They even tell me how it’s common practice to talk bad about Africans. American Blacks have always been welcoming to ALL cultures(the civil rights movement was multicultural). Blacks welcome Africans with open arms(set aside micro negative experiences with American Blacks). Overwhelmingly, American Blacks have been welcoming to Nigerians, we have fought for policies against them, we’ve fought for them to even have the ability to come to the states and succeed, Embrace African culture. Many Nigerians don’t don’t embrace Black American culture, although Black American culture is the reason why they have opportunities in the states.

Are these nigerian friends you have born in america or native to nigeria?

I can fully understand your feelings and perspective on how native africans bad mouth African Americans here in the states. I'm a native born Nigerian myself, but i'm raised in America, NYC to be exact. I consider myself a americanized Nigerian.

African culture and African American culture imo doesn't meld well together, the cultural differences is very far apart from each other. And Is the real reason why some African natives view African Americans in states with a side eye or don't understand the historical values of African Americans in America.

But like i said earlier in the NBA, Some not all, African Americans are also discriminatory towards Native Africans that migrate here to the states. (something i've experienced).

why? cultural differences.

This, they buy into stereotypical tropes about blacks being lazy, criminals, bad people,etc.
I'll blame white media & white supremacist for dividing and painting the negative picture for African Americans here in the state, and the reason why some native africans will judge and view African Americans with such stereotypes. None of that is the truth especially if it's coming from the oppressor.

Last edited:
Trying to start up PETTY division amongst black people...🤦🏾‍♂️

i should go in the Black Culture Thread and talk about how LA people don’t like New York people because they killed Biggie and Pop Smoke.

you see how that’s a nonsensical and petty argument right?

Trying to start up PETTY division amongst black people...🤦🏾‍♂️

i should go in the Black Culture Thread and talk about how LA people don’t like New York people because they killed Biggie and Pop Smoke.

you see how that’s a nonsensical and petty argument right?
Unlike you im not afraid to have a civil conversation with people.

A lot of the problems is that we are forcing a large group of people some with clear traceable lineage and national pride and some with no other lineage but recent "African American" experience to identify as one monolithic group. It's a recipe for disaster.

Are these nigerian friends you have born in america or native to nigeria?

I can fully understand your feelings and perspective on how native africans bad mouth African Americans here in the states. I'm a native born Nigerian myself, but i'm raised in America, NYC to be exact. I consider myself a americanized Nigerian.

African culture and African American culture imo doesn't meld well together, the cultural differences is very far apart from each other. And Is the real reason why some African natives view African Americans in states with a side eye or don't understand the historical values of African Americans in America.

But like i said earlier in the NBA, Some not all, African Americans are also discriminatory towards Native Africans that migrate here to the states. (something i've experienced).

why? cultural differences.

I'll blame white media & white supremacist for dividing and painting the negative picture for African Americans here in the state, and the reason why some native africans will judge and view African Americans with such stereotypes. None of that is the truth especially if it's coming from the oppressor.
The ones who are Native to Nigeria have flawed views. The ones that are born here are more aware of black American history.

Back
Top Bottom