A Look back at Bill Cosby's "Poundcake" Speech

btk

I remember first hearing it years ago, and was a bit bothered on his comments. As I got older, I'm starting to realize he's being 100% rational and not quite ranting as I had originally felt. What do you guys think (Please read it)
bill%20cosby%5B1%5D.png

They’re standing on the corner and they can’t speak English. I can’t even talk the way these people talk: Why you ain’t, Where you is, What he drive, Where he stay, Where he work, Who you be… And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.

Everybody knows it’s important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can’t be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.

People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we’ve got these knuckleheads walking around. The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what? And they won’t spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn’t know that he had a pistol? And where is the father? Or who is his father?

People putting their clothes on backward: Isn’t that a sign of something gone wrong? People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn’t that a sign of something? Or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn’t it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?

What part of Africa did this come from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don’t know a thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person’s problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back. People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different ‘husbands’ — or men or whatever you call them now. We have millionaire football players who cannot read. We have million-dollar basketball players who can’t write two paragraphs. We as black folks have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us. We have to start holding each other to a higher standard.

We cannot blame the white people any longer.

I remember first hearing it years ago, and was a bit bothered on his comments. As I got older, I'm starting to realize he's being 100% rational and not quite ranting as I had originally felt. What do you guys think (Please read it)
bill%20cosby%5B1%5D.png

They’re standing on the corner and they can’t speak English. I can’t even talk the way these people talk: Why you ain’t, Where you is, What he drive, Where he stay, Where he work, Who you be… And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk.

Everybody knows it’s important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can’t be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living.

People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we’ve got these knuckleheads walking around. The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what? And they won’t spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit. Where were you when he was 2? Where were you when he was 12? Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn’t know that he had a pistol? And where is the father? Or who is his father?

People putting their clothes on backward: Isn’t that a sign of something gone wrong? People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn’t that a sign of something? Or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up? Isn’t it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?

What part of Africa did this come from? We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don’t know a thing about Africa. With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person’s problem. We have got to take the neighborhood back. People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different ‘husbands’ — or men or whatever you call them now. We have millionaire football players who cannot read. We have million-dollar basketball players who can’t write two paragraphs. We as black folks have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us. We have to start holding each other to a higher standard.

We cannot blame the white people any longer.

Well thank god the white people are off the hook.

No but he has a point about the impact of parenting and what not.

Well thank god the white people are off the hook.

No but he has a point about the impact of parenting and what not.

uncle+ruckus.jpg

as i was reading it sounded like this guy in my head. i have no clue why my brain processed it like that
laugh.gif

uncle+ruckus.jpg

as i was reading it sounded like this guy in my head. i have no clue why my brain processed it like that
laugh.gif

I'm 100% with Dr. Cosby.
Bill's generation did everything they could to climb out of the same hole that our generation is putting themselves right back into.

I'm 100% with Dr. Cosby.
Bill's generation did everything they could to climb out of the same hole that our generation is putting themselves right back into.

I thought i'd feel different, but i don't, nope. Still the same hypocritical, ignorant, bigoted rant. Of course if you approach it from a broad angle, it's rational. Essentially you pull personal accountability from it, even though that's not what he's really hinting at. Bill Cosby ain't on the block, he doesn't fraternize with these characters he created, he didn't focus on positives (at a college graduation full of young black people no less), Despite all his hifalutinness his kids still turned out bad. He's curmudgeonly old man waving his cane effectively saying "get off my lawn". You got the influence and means to make a difference, do something.

I thought i'd feel different, but i don't, nope. Still the same hypocritical, ignorant, bigoted rant. Of course if you approach it from a broad angle, it's rational. Essentially you pull personal accountability from it, even though that's not what he's really hinting at. Bill Cosby ain't on the block, he doesn't fraternize with these characters he created, he didn't focus on positives (at a college graduation full of young black people no less), Despite all his hifalutinness his kids still turned out bad. He's curmudgeonly old man waving his cane effectively saying "get off my lawn". You got the influence and means to make a difference, do something.

Agree 100%. Its like the big elephant in the room that no one wants to point out. And when someone does, they're either racist or "Uncle Tom".

Agree 100%. Its like the big elephant in the room that no one wants to point out. And when someone does, they're either racist or "Uncle Tom".

Originally Posted by Mark Antony

what hapepned with cosby's kids?

i'm not trying to be a smarta$$ or anything.. i honestly want to know

And kinda off topic, but real talk NT, shut the @%%@ up. I can't stand you lil pants saggin, womanizing, racist, deeply in debt living above your means, alcoholic, drug taking, grammar challenged hypocritical aholes sometimes. Especially in these topics.

And kinda off topic, but real talk NT, shut the @%%@ up. I can't stand you lil pants saggin, womanizing, racist, deeply in debt living above your means, alcoholic, drug taking, grammar challenged hypocritical aholes sometimes. Especially in these topics.

When he want on his tour for these speeches though, he was going places his intended audience doesn't even frequent though. Dude was on the Bill O'Reilly show and Meet The Press. Anyways, plenty of black people just get tired of hearing all this woe-is-me generalization crap if it doesn't apply to them. Like if I graduated college, and have a good job, and am the general antithesis to the other "problems" we black people are generally identified as, then how am I supposed to feel? Words like some, most, x%, etc. never come into play when talking about black people and something negative, always all encompassing.

When he want on his tour for these speeches though, he was going places his intended audience doesn't even frequent though. Dude was on the Bill O'Reilly show and Meet The Press. Anyways, plenty of black people just get tired of hearing all this woe-is-me generalization crap if it doesn't apply to them. Like if I graduated college, and have a good job, and am the general antithesis to the other "problems" we black people are generally identified as, then how am I supposed to feel? Words like some, most, x%, etc. never come into play when talking about black people and something negative, always all encompassing.

Too bad the Economy doesn't provide jobs that will facilate in the progress of financial freedom and ways to eventually get off the plantation. It's pretty easy to look at a small group of people who seem to speak for the rest of us.

He doesn't speak about inequality in the caste system that was set up by the Anglo Saxon progressive movement of international bankers and war profiteers. Aka tue military industrial complex and the pharmacutical poisoning taking place right under his big $+* nose

Too bad the Economy doesn't provide jobs that will facilate in the progress of financial freedom and ways to eventually get off the plantation. It's pretty easy to look at a small group of people who seem to speak for the rest of us.

He doesn't speak about inequality in the caste system that was set up by the Anglo Saxon progressive movement of international bankers and war profiteers. Aka tue military industrial complex and the pharmacutical poisoning taking place right under his big $+* nose

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

I have been saying that for years. I agree with him, but what is he doing to help the situation?Anyone can preach and complain.

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

I have been saying that for years. I agree with him, but what is he doing to help the situation?Anyone can preach and complain.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

I remember one of his daughters just being a straight problem, drugs, alcohol, promiscuity etc.  Sometimes you just can't make someone right no matter how much you try.

Erinn Cosby.

Back
Top Bottom