A Look at What Happened to Michael Vick's Dogs

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

Originally Posted by Pushak513

Originally Posted by keepitgully

Glad they found good homes. They look like good folk. Lets hope we dont see them on that when animals go bad show.

people say its how you raise em but its got ALOT to do with the bloodline in em as well. I have no idea what any of em were but I would imagin they were all strong game lines. you just can't rewire 100 years of breeding. I hope it don't turn out bad for em either.
its all about percentages... certain bloodlines are more PRONE to attack. they need more walks, more attention, more TIME... they are easily turned into the vicious type if not properly trained. that includes being too protective of their new owners. its tough to judge them by photos, but I doubt half of them are well equipped for the job at hand to truely manage a dog of that caliber... stick to golden retrivers please
roll.gif

very true there are certain bloodlines that are known "man eatters" and other that are only really aggresive toward other dogs. Like I said no way totell just by the pics what there pedegree is but I'm sure vick wasn't breeding kerrs
laugh.gif
. taking on a dog like that is not somthin I think any of those familys areready for. those dogs might have triggers the fam don't know about that could send em in a rage. I hope for the best but ur right Wallyhopp pits are notfor everyone..some of them familys need tea cup poodles
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

^

umm your right, because i said animals, not dogs specifically.

people eat chicken everyday, fish, turkey, steak, bacon, sausage, etc...............

arent they just as equal as dogs?
as far as i know, animals farmed for food arent fought by opposing racketeering operations. but i could be wrong.

Originally Posted by mr delorean

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

BTW, what they did to Mike Vick was just wrong.
i dont know who "they" are, but your opinion is in the minority.
The prosecution, the system, take your pick Trust, the opinion is not in the minority. Maybe at a PETA conference it is.

Dogs aren't born mean. I believe Vick is done for inthe NFL anyway so he might as well go to Canada play football over there. %@%% Vick.

^

people eat chicken everyday, fish, turkey, steak, bacon, sausage, etc...............

We need food, we don't need dog fighting.

Originally Posted by mr delorean

BTW, what they did to Mike Vick was just wrong.
i dont know who "they" are, but your opinion is in the minority.
The prosecution, the system, take your pick Trust, the opinion is not in the minority. Maybe at a PETA conference it is.
you dont understand the charges, do you. peta has nothing to do with it, and the animal cruelty was just for flashy headlines to sell papers.

Originally Posted by i love nikes

Dogs aren't born mean. I believe Vick is done for in the NFL anyway so he might as well go to Canada play football over there. %@%% Vick.

I beg to differ.. there are "game" bloodlines of pitbulls that are born mean they have been breed like that for a 100 years or better and unless youtake 100 years to breed it out of em thats how they will forever be.

^

Eat salad.
grin.gif

Mike only gonna get them %*%** back when he gets out anyway
grin.gif

he gonna roll by these folks cribs with a trunk full of kittens. Muts won't be able to resist
pimp.gif

^

Eat salad.
grin.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Is that even possible?

Headshot.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 255)]nope, hunters tend to aim for the neck, ribcage, or shoulder area... hunters don't use headshots.. NEXT ARGUMENT!.[/color]
tongue.gif

Use Your Head, and Don't Take Head Shots

Head shots are to be avoided. Think about it - the head is the most animated portion of a deer's anatomy. When the deer moves, the head is the first thing to do so - and even when standing still, a deer will often move its head without warning.

Some will say that if they miss a head shot then they've missed the deer entirely and it will live, but that's not necessarily true. Years ago, a friend shot a buck in the head - that's all he had to shoot at - and he hit it in the jaw. He severed a major blood vessel and the deer lost a lot of blood - but it also kept going for a long, long way. They tracked that deer for more than a mile before finally recovering it.

Fail. Its a LOT easier to stand next to a dog and shoot it in the head then walk up to a deer. Like..
laugh.gif
seriously now..

It's wonderful to see these animals find what we can only hope are loving homes. Even some within animal rights organizations, like PETA, suggested thatthese dogs be euthanized. Some raised the point that there are millions of homeless animals awaiting adoption at this moment, facing an unceremonious demiseshould that not occur. It seems rather ironic, though, for PETA to suggest which animals ought to live and die. Notonly were these particular dogs more than deserving of caring families, but this whole story, I'd like to believe, will do more to encourage pet adoptionthan would have been the case had this tragedy ended with the annihilation of each and every dog unfortunate enough to have spent time in the "BadNewz" kennel.

I find it disappointing that some people, sensing the hypocrisy in the media's treatment of Michael Vick in particular, have chosen to downplay, minimize,or rationalize away what was, by all accounts, ghastly and inexcusable cruelty against animals. By that same token, I don't agree that invoking the racialaspect of Vick's treatment automatically results in or requires ANY endorsement of his involvement in dog fighting. When we discuss sentencing disparitiesfor drug crimes or even the marked racial disparity in death sentences, few would argue that we're sanctioning drug crime or murder as a result. Thenature of the crime is, of course, related to the media/justice system's response - but tangled up in the charged, sensitive reaction that anyone,especially anyone of renown, would elicit as a result of their involvement in something as despicable as dog fighting, is the perverse glee many have taken inreveling in Vick's disgrace.

We don't really have an apples to apples comparison here. We can talk about all manner of reprehensible celebrity crimes and how their careers havebounced back. We can even talk about animal cruelty. Forget Sarah Palin - that's far too easy and, for whatever reason, many people only care aboutanimal cruelty when it relates to domestic animals. (Just as people in the U.S. gasp in horror at the thought of eating dogs and practitioners of the Hindufaith are equally appalled by the average US citizen's beef consumption.)

Does anyone still remember that Mitt Romney strapped his family's dog to the roof of their car during a family trip from Massachusetts to Ontario? Now,that's not dog fighting - but it's a pretty flagrant case of animal cruelty. Did it come up even once during his presidential run? Obama gets grilledfor so much as attending the same benefit dinner as an alleged "domestic terrorist"; this guy tries to reenact a scene out of National Lampoon'sVacation and it's not even deemed suitable to use as fodder for GOP attack ads during primary season. Obviously the public would've reacted a bit moreharshly had Romney been involved in a dog fighting ring, but the point remains: the media appear to tolerate some forms of animal cruelty, even to domesticanimals.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with the penalty Vick faced - if everyone who committed the same offense received that penalty. If anything, thesentences associated with animal cruelty are far too lenient. Financially, obviously Vick suffered steeper losses, in part due to his endorsement contractsand, in part, because his plea bargain included nearly a million dollars to provide for lifelong care of survivng dogs at a sanctuary. That's clearly nota standard that would be applied to the average person charged with the exact same offense.

The hypocrisy is what really sticks out here. The justice system by and large doesn't care about animal cruelty. The media by and large don't careabout animal cruelty. You can see here in this post that many people think the lives of animals are, if not worthless, then worth less than a year or so of ahuman's life. Yet suddenly everyone was concerned about the lives of animals when the Vick story broke. An estimated 40,000 Americans engage in dogfighting. Where's the outrage?

We talk about two distinguishing aspects of this case freely: it involves a celebrity and animals that, culturally, people in our society care more aboutthan, say, deer or other animals whose treatment in acts of "sport" can only be described as cruel. The irony in all of this is that these twoaspects have been used to obscure what, at least in my view, as been the real dividing line here: race. The real tragedy is that people have been fighting apitched battle, adopting positions that - I would hope - they don't really believe just because they're assuming the most readily defensible positions.

As a result, we have people here defending hunting and degrading the lives of dogs, and all animals, as means of either attacking or protecting Mike Vick.

See, I have no problem with statements like this if used to point out the hypocrisy of some forms ofanimal cruelty justified as "necessary for survival," let alone frivolities like fashion and entertainment. The catch is, you can use that argumentto arrive at two diametrically opposed conclusions: if all animals' lives are equally valuable, are you suggesting that dogs are worth as"little" as cattle - or that the lives of cattle ought to be held in the same regard as dogs?

What disappoints me is that many people have opted for the former, and have chosen to consider dogs' lives worthless rather than to consider all animallife invaluable.

For the record, since I'm sure someone would try to get smart and ask, I don't purchase shoes that use animal leather.

They all look like they got a lil hood in em. You know what they say... You can take a dog out the hood, but you cant take the hood out the dog.

Originally Posted by Method Man

Does anyone still remember that Mitt Romney strapped his family's dog to the roof of their car during a family trip from Massachusetts to Ontario? Now, that's not dog fighting - but it's a pretty flagrant case of animal cruelty. Did it come up even once during his presidential run? Obama gets grilled for so much as attending the same benefit dinner as an alleged "domestic terrorist"; this guy tries to reenact a scene out of National Lampoon's Vacation and it's not even deemed suitable to use as fodder for GOP attack ads during primary season. Obviously the public would've reacted a bit more harshly had Romney been involved in a dog fighting ring, but the point remains: the media appear to tolerate some forms of animal cruelty, even to domestic animals.

Word. I've always noticed this. Especially on shows like Fear Factor, where they have a basket full or scorpions or snakes or whatever it may be, andthey're doing dumb ++%! with them like dumping them into water and making people bob them out or bite them and spit them into a container. That neverreally settled easy with me. I dont understand why people arent sensative about stuff like this? Sure you might hate snakes, but it has a life just like youdo.

Originally Posted by OoPrinceOfFreshoO

not one black person got a dog.... hmmmm go figure
I noticed that too, there were what maybe two minorities there? Something just tells me that most of the people that did adopt the dogs did so foreither bragging rights or a real-life trophy...

I mean its better that they get adopted than destroyed, but its just my opinion since most well to do people would never consider a pitbull.

I cant beleive some of yall. Choosing animals over a man.
Acting like its worse to kill a dog than a human.

Its just another animal, it aint that serious.
FREE VICK!!!

I definitely think that the Vick was made an example out of. I mean but honestly that comes with the territory and Vick should have been smart enough torealize that. What I don't understand is how happy some people are to see this man's demise. People saying he should rot in jail and all of that. Ithink that is ridiculous, we are talking about another man's life and his lively hood that has been taken away and people are in here jumping for joy.Shame.

Back
Top Bottom