72-10 Record

Originally Posted by welcome2jungle

Lakers got the bench this year to get this done and they got the coach if Phil Jackson wants his record broke he will break it this year..
If Lakers start 41-3 at all star break they goin for that record

i'm a laker fan and this is a dumb *** comment
are you a bandwagon fan?

The '86 Celtics are the prime example of a team that could have done it, but fits the "didn't care about the regular season" argument:

1. They lost one game at home the entire season, including playoffs (56-1 overall). They'd go on road trips and just mess around a couple games at a time (for instance, Bird used to play with his off hand because he'd get so bored). They had multiple two game losing streaks because they just didn't try. They just knew they weren't losing at home. Plain and simple. So if they got home court, it wouldn't matter what their record was.

1A. By that same token, Steve Kerr said this about the '96 Bulls: there are a number of back-to-backs, especially on the road, where even good teams just pack it in for the second game, and it amounts to a handful of extra/avoidable/bad losses per season. Teams like the '86 Celtics didn't care about those games. But Jordan was so competitive that he was responsible for winning those extra games. Without Jordan caring as much, that Bulls were probably a 65 to 67 win team, just like everyone other great team.

2. The '96 Bulls had the fortune of playing at a time when the league was at its most diluted point (they won 72 games with Wennington and Longley as their centers!). The Raptors and Grizzlies were added that season, so there's six games that were basically gimmes for a team like the Bulls. Six teams had been added in eight years, and the talent pool hadn't caught up yet, especially with two brand new teams. I could also dive into lazy players and bloated contracts, but it's too easy.

2A. Remember, the '86 Celtics, even while goofing around, managed 67 wins when the league was at its highest concentration of talent. Mass expansion set in two seasons later.

The '86 Celtics are the prime example of a team that could have done it, but fits the "didn't care about the regular season" argument:

1. They lost one game at home the entire season, including playoffs (56-1 overall). They'd go on road trips and just mess around a couple games at a time (for instance, Bird used to play with his off hand because he'd get so bored). They had multiple two game losing streaks because they just didn't try. They just knew they weren't losing at home. Plain and simple. So if they got home court, it wouldn't matter what their record was.

1A. By that same token, Steve Kerr said this about the '96 Bulls: there are a number of back-to-backs, especially on the road, where even good teams just pack it in for the second game, and it amounts to a handful of extra/avoidable/bad losses per season. Teams like the '86 Celtics didn't care about those games. But Jordan was so competitive that he was responsible for winning those extra games. Without Jordan caring as much, that Bulls were probably a 65 to 67 win team, just like everyone other great team.

2. The '96 Bulls had the fortune of playing at a time when the league was at its most diluted point (they won 72 games with Wennington and Longley as their centers!). The Raptors and Grizzlies were added that season, so there's six games that were basically gimmes for a team like the Bulls. Six teams had been added in eight years, and the talent pool hadn't caught up yet, especially with two brand new teams. I could also dive into lazy players and bloated contracts, but it's too easy.

2A. Remember, the '86 Celtics, even while goofing around, managed 67 wins when the league was at its highest concentration of talent. Mass expansion set in two seasons later.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Well...has anyone actually had a close chance to being 72-10?

These teams sit their starters at the end of the season because they already have more than 10 losses....

this thread sucks...

in 2007 Dallas went 67-15

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Well...has anyone actually had a close chance to being 72-10?

These teams sit their starters at the end of the season because they already have more than 10 losses....

this thread sucks...

in 2007 Dallas went 67-15

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

Lakers might go 73-9 this year yea i said it
31d369d34e56ee0daf4d703b2400b23419ec6298.jpg

I'm a huge Lakers fan and I don't believe this #%++ 
roll.gif

As much as I dislike Laker fans, I think this years Lakers are certainly capable of pulling off a 67+ win season. They have a very good team that may be deeper than the last 2 title winning teams, they are in a terrible division, the West is weaker than in years prior, etc. Do I think they'll win 70? No...its just too tough for any team to do due to the reasons listed above (schedule, motivation, resting players at the end of the season, etc) but I think if this years Lakers really wanted it they could finish with close to 70.

As much as I dislike Laker fans, I think this years Lakers are certainly capable of pulling off a 67+ win season. They have a very good team that may be deeper than the last 2 title winning teams, they are in a terrible division, the West is weaker than in years prior, etc. Do I think they'll win 70? No...its just too tough for any team to do due to the reasons listed above (schedule, motivation, resting players at the end of the season, etc) but I think if this years Lakers really wanted it they could finish with close to 70.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

No. But it doesn't stop people from creating these threads every damn season until the last team with a great start to the season gets enough losses to shut them up and tuck their tales between their legs until the next season where they do the same thing again.

The 05-06 Pistons were on their way to break 72-10 more than halfway through the season, they were 37-5 at one point and they finished closer to 60 than 70.

Yup. I don't think it's about teams not caring or trying. It's a combination of things. It's a record that quite possibly will never be touched but yet it's thrown around by the media (and then the kids) like it has a chance every single year of happening. It's not even on the radar for me for things to potentially see in a given year.

Here is the bottom line: Only two teams (MJ's 95-96 team and 96-97 team) have gotten past the 67-win mark since the beginning of the 70's. Yet you have media people who think it's actually worthwhile to spend their time saying the Heat could go 73-9 or better.

that 96-97 team is always overlooked.. almost repeating a 70 win season the year after is truly remarkable. ( 69-13 )

No. But it doesn't stop people from creating these threads every damn season until the last team with a great start to the season gets enough losses to shut them up and tuck their tales between their legs until the next season where they do the same thing again.

The 05-06 Pistons were on their way to break 72-10 more than halfway through the season, they were 37-5 at one point and they finished closer to 60 than 70.

Yup. I don't think it's about teams not caring or trying. It's a combination of things. It's a record that quite possibly will never be touched but yet it's thrown around by the media (and then the kids) like it has a chance every single year of happening. It's not even on the radar for me for things to potentially see in a given year.

Here is the bottom line: Only two teams (MJ's 95-96 team and 96-97 team) have gotten past the 67-win mark since the beginning of the 70's. Yet you have media people who think it's actually worthwhile to spend their time saying the Heat could go 73-9 or better.

that 96-97 team is always overlooked.. almost repeating a 70 win season the year after is truly remarkable. ( 69-13 )

Originally Posted by GregOdensBedpan

And we were literally a shot away from 70 wins, I think Pip missed a shot against the Knicks. 

And we were literally a shot away from 70 wins, I think Pip missed a shot against the Knicks. 

Originally Posted by Futuristic

they lost the last game of the season at home to the knicks which kept them at 69.   i remember it was a prime time saturday night game on nbc.  god i miss nbc,  i could never imagine a saturday night regular season game on prime time on crappy abc

Originally Posted by Futuristic

they lost the last game of the season at home to the knicks which kept them at 69.   i remember it was a prime time saturday night game on nbc.  god i miss nbc,  i could never imagine a saturday night regular season game on prime time on crappy abc

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Western Conference is weak as hell and their schedule is weak also

Please go away.

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Western Conference is weak as hell and their schedule is weak also

Please go away.