(7-9) Miami Dolphins 2010 Season Thread: WE SUCK! THANK GOD IT'S OVER!!!

Smith getting beat up by Marshall is fantastic.  Best way to learn how to play the position.  In fact, I'd be thrilled to death if Smith got pissed off and took a swing at BMarsh. 

Marshall on one side for sure, Bess in the slot no doubt about it, either Cam or Hartline will get that 2nd WR spot.  And if Turner can play some ball and add some depth to us, then that's a nice luxury to have, considering we had like 3 WR's all last year. 
smh.gif

Best case, havin Marshall, Cam, Bess, Fasano and either Ricky or Ronnie out of the backfield, gives Henne a lot of nice options.  That's a move the chains type of group right there, sure hands, outlets out of the backfield, TE crutch that QB's love, that's everything we need.  Get some protection from the line, and that group can move the ball forward.  And if we go 2 TE, 2 backs, with Marshall still on the field we have play action options open as well as simply pounding the ball forward and we haven't even mentioned the wildcat yet. 
pimp.gif

It all rides on Henne improving so much though.  Gotta have that. 

Hartline is the other starter this yr. RB Kory Sheets OUT FOR THE SEASON W/torn Achilles

mad.gif

Sparano sez CB AJ Wallace has left the team. Nice kid & my twitter buddy. I was rooting for him

[h2]What is the Marshall effect on the Dolphins offense?[/h2]
by: Omar KellyAugust 5th, 2010 | 6:57 AM

Chad Henne can’t keep his eyes off Brandon Marshall.

Sure the Miami Dolphins new alpha receiver is an attractive man, but Henne’s infatuation with Marshall has a lot to do with the fact he can’t be stopped on certain plays.

Defend him too close and he’ll physically abuse you, creating space with his hands. Sean Smith learned that lesson in Day One.

Brandon Marshall helps everyone improve

Give Marshall too much space and Henne and his rocket arm will eat you up quick hitches and speed outs that allow Marshall to show off his run after catch ability.

During Wednesday night’s practice, which featured a lot of redzone work, Marshall was unstoppable in the area I like to call “Money Time

Just bought tickets for the 9/19 game Dolphins @ Vikings.... 15 rows up from the field
5bc3692b17ac821c51f1eb164aa8bd982c95bca1_r.gif

[h1]Dolphins receiver Patrick Turner is starting to turn heads again[/h1] [h2]Patrick Turner, last year's third-round pick, is off to a good start again this training camp[/h2]
[h2][/h2]
55398324.jpg

Wide receiver #84 Patrick Turner catches the ball during Dolphins training camp Friday morning in Davie. (Mike Stocker, Sun Sentinel / August 5, 2010)

DAVIE —
Patrick Turner catches a post in the left corner of the end zone for a touchdown during one-on-one drills earlier this week and his teammates act as if he had just won a Grammy.

"Good job Pat!" one fellow Dolphins receiver yells before the rest echo praise.

Roughly 20 minutes later Turner runs a crisp slant and makes a diving catch to move the chains. He has to muscle starting cornerback Vontae Davis out of position to bring in the grab.

"Way to be physical," a coach yells.

"Good catch Pat," linebacker Channing Crowder, a rival defender, says during that Wednesday's session.

These days the adoration has been coming daily, and it appears justified considering this Dolphins receiver's feet and hands have been singing some sweet tunes lately.

It's been a long time since Turner, last year's third-round pick, has been showered with praise, inside and outside of the Dolphins' organization. Actually, last training camp was the last time he deserved mention. But this former USC standout is yet again off to a respectable start, replicating some of last year's noteworthy catches.

Turner said his goal is to prove he's fully recovered from a back injury that forced him to miss all of the offseason's training program. During that three months Turner watched other receivers get better. But coach Sparano has been pleasantly surprised that Turner's absence hasn't stopped him from making plays during the team's first week of work.

"Each day I'm gaining more and more confidence," said Turner, who was only active for two games last season because he wasn't a front line receiver or a strong special teams contributor.

So while fellow rookie Brian Hartline, who happened to be selected 19 picks behind Turner, blossomed into the starting receiver he is now, catching 31 passes for 506 yards and scoring four touchdowns last season, Turner wondered when his time would come.

He impatiently waited for his first NFL catch. It never came, and Sparano admitted was one of his biggest regrets about 2009 was that he didn't get Turner more involved.

Making worse for Turner this offseason was the fact the Dolphins added Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall to fill the big, physical receiver void Turner, who is 6-foot-5, 220 pounds, was drafted to fill.

All of a sudden Turner goes from promising youngster to injured receiver on the hot seat, battling for that fifth receiver spot on the 53-man roster.

Outside of a productive rehabilitation stint with the trainers, Turner admits getting his mind right, a little mentoring from Marshall, has contributed to his resurgence.

"It can be a setback for you not being out here getting reps [during the offseason], but that's with any injury. It's your job to battle back and fight through that," said Turner, who finished his collegiate career with 139 receptions for 1,752 yards and 17 touchdowns.. "I come out here every day showing them what I can do. It's a show me game, so I come out here with purpose, do my job, and the rest is up to them."

With Marshall and Hartline projected as Miami's starting receivers, and Davone Bess and Greg Camarillo entrenched as their backups, Turner's realistically competing with Grice-Mullen, Julius Pruitt and Taurus Johnson, last year's two practice squad receivers, Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace to remain the team's fifth receiver.

According to Sparano, what comes after that is up to him, and will likely be determined on how he performs during the scrimmages and exhibition season.

"Consistency for Pat is going to be important," Sparano said. "He's starting to play, doing some good things. He's made some good catches with his hands and gone and gotten the ball a few times. But the consistency thing is what I think is probably the most important."

Can Turner keep turning it up?

"I'm just trying to keep climbing the ladder, keeping trying to do things better, and keep getting better day by day," Turner said. "I just want to keep building as camp goes on and we'll see where it takes us."

OmarKelly
The Dolphins have resigned TE David Martin to juice up the tight end spot.

YEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!! WELCOME BACK BIG MAN *pause*
pimp.gif

If Martin is healthy, and returns to his 2008 form, that's a good look. He and Fasano formed a very solid TE tandem.

Karlos Dansby Happy to Fly Under the Radar in Miami
8/04/2010 11:30 AM ET By Chris Harry
karlos-dansby-420vm-080410.jpg

DAVIE, Fla. -- Given the A-list of newsmakers that flooded the South Florida sports scene the last few months, conspicuously absent from the headlines has been a certain Miami Dolphins linebacker.

That's fine with Karlos Dansby.

Let the spotlights shine on LeBron and his buddies, Marlins flamethrower Josh Johnson, and even new Dolphins teammate and passing-game savior Brandon Marshall.

"Oh yeah, that's perfect, man. Just perfect," Dansby told FanHouse from Dolphins training camp this week. "That's way cool. I can fly under the radar all day long."

That's kind of what Dansby has done, which is somewhat puzzling given the circumstances with which the former Arizona Cardinals standout arrived at the start of free agency last March. How often does a player sign a $43 million contract -- with more than half guaranteed -- and skate into town with relative anonymity?

He does when the other new guy getting a similar contract is Marshall, the big-play, big-body and big-headache wideout whom the Dolphins acquired (same might say "stole") from Denver for two second-round draft choices.

But don't underestimate the impact Dansby, the 6-foot-4, 250-pound inside linebacker and seventh-year pro, could mean for a Dolphins defense that is revamping its scheme under new coordinator Mike Nolan after finishing a disappointing 24th overall last season and surrendering 390 points (24.3 per game).

"I personally don't like to sing a lot [about] any of these guys, [but] I've really been impressed with what's happened with Dansby right now," Miami Coach Tony Sparano said. "He's so long and he runs so well for a big guy. The thing I think the most is that when Karlos sees it, he pulls the trigger right away."

That's how Dansby, who led the 2008 NFC champion Cardinals in tackles the last two seasons, attacks ballcarriers. But it's also the way he seized his spot with the Dolphins when he became an unrestricted free agent after back-to-back seasons wearing the lucrative but one-year franchise tag in Arizona.

For Dansby, the pitch from Miami executive vice president Bill Parcells, the arrival of Nolan, and the thought of returning to the South (he's from Birmingham, Ala., and played at Auburn) to become a focal point on this defense were too enticing. The money didn't hurt, either. Nor did the fact the Cards were moving in utter rebuilding mode following the retirement of quarterback Kurt Warner and decision to cut ties with wide receiver Anquan Boldin (traded to Baltimore) and safety Antrel Rolle (signed with the New York Giants).

"It wasn't a difficult decision at all," Dansby said. "Nothing bitter about it. My time there was just done. Sometimes, when you run a race you get to the point where you have have to move on and look for other challenges. I wasn't challenged there. I wasn't bettering myself at Arizona anymore. ... It seemed like they were trying to start over, build their new team a certain way and I just wasn't in their plan. Once I thought I wasn't in that plan anymore, I had to move forward."

The Cardinals willingness to let a player who averaged 108 tackles over the last three seasons may seem curious, but the prevailing thought in the Arizona front office was that too many of Dansby's tackles occurred too far downfield; too few of his collisions at the point of attack. The Cardinals defense only ranked in the league's top 10 in yardage allowed once during Dansby's six seasons there.

"Offense," he said, "that's what they promoted there."

It's definitely how the Cards were built; and what got them to the postseason the last two years.

Nolan's plan in Miami calls for the Dolphins to vary from the pure 3-4 scheme they're run for years, using new and varied looks, with defensive linemen attacking gaps inside so both Dansby and sixth-year veteran Channing Crowder can more involved up front.

"He's going to make a huge impact," strong safety Yeremiah Bell said of Dansby. "He's proven himself in the league and came in here like a leader. With him teaming with Channing, they're going to be a force to reckon with."

In the perfect Dolphins world, Dansby will bring the kinds of splash, game-changing plays he turned in last January against Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers in that epic NFC wild-card game in Arizona.

Rodgers and the Pack came in red hot, winners of seven of eight and a fashionable pick to make a Super Bowl run. On the first play from scrimmage, Dansby blitzed and flushed a flustered Rodgers -- making his postseason debut -- out of the pocket and into an interception that set up a Cards touchdown. On the second Green Bay series, Dansby thwarted a bubble screen to Donald Driver, forcing a fumble the Cards recovered and turned into another touchdown.

Then, of course, on the game's final play -- in overtime -- Dansby caught a Rodgers fumble on a sack in mid-air and raced 17 yards into NFL Films immortality, giving Arizona a 51-45 win in one of the greatest postseason shootouts in league history.

Sparano smiled, admittedly embarrassed, that just about every game he'd ever coached against Dansby (whether during his first as head coach in Miami, or a couple times facing the Cards as Dallas offensive line coach), Dansby had done something to change the game.

"When we had the opportunity to get this player, there was no question in my mind whether I wanted this guy on my team," Sparano said. "All I know is this guy makes plays. He's always around the football. With our defense and what we're asking him to do right now, he can be a heckuva player."

Maybe even the face of the defense.

"Yes, I have an opportunity here to do that here," Dansby said. "But I have to earn that. I have earn to that respect."

He'll gladly try to do it in the shadows of his fellow $40-plus-million buddy. Dansby, in fact, swears he predicted the sequences of events to his "homeboys" early in the offseason when Miami emerged as his No. 1 choice.

"They said, 'No way in hell y'all are getting Brandon Marshall too!' I said, 'You watch!' Now look," he said. "All the pieces of the puzzle are starting to fit together. The Dolphins are hungry. Brandon and me are hungry. It's all starting to mesh together. It's gonna be nice."

Dansby pointed to the threatening Florida skies above.

"Yeah," Dansby said. "It's gonna be a thunderstorm down here, baby."

If he's right, look for LeBron and friends on the Dolphins sidelines.

From Today's intrasquad scrimmage (8-7-10)

Nolan Carroll jumped a short hitch to Julius Pruitt & knocked the ball up in the air for OLB Charlie Anderson to catch for an interception

The Sun-Sentinel is reporting that rookie ILBer Austin Spitler had salmonella poisoning. Spent 2 nights in the hospital. Lost 15 pounds.

Rookie CB Nolan Carroll spent a little bit of time working as the team's nickel cornerback. That's a step in the right direction.

Randy Starks looked like he got winded during Saturday's scrimmaged. I'm not sure he can play more than 30 snaps right now.

For the record, Dolphins OLBer Koa Misi did nothing special today, which means I'm still waiting to see him flash something.

"I'm a put my feet in some ice.I'm hurting right now, my whole body.I need some rest. As much rest as I can get," Dansby on day off tomorrow

"I'm blessed to be versatile. God gave me a gift and I'm just trying to use it," said Karlos Dansby, who was dropping DEEP into coverage.

Rookie WR Roberto Wallace produced a nice long catch from Tyler Thigpen. Problem was Lionel Dotson would have sacked him before the throw

DE Ryan Baker produced a deflection, came right after a QB pressure from him at LDE vs. Garner. Baker admits he isn't working at NT much now

Here's a difference between Donald Thomas and Richie Incognito at that LG battle. Thomas pulls much better. Gets to 2nd line of defense.

Nate Garner took a few reps with the first team at left guard late in the scrimmage. He'd previously been working at RT.

Nate Ness broke up an endzone pass to Roberto Wallace during the redzone work. Don't know what Ness will play (CB or FS) but he makes plays.

New Dolphins TE David Martin admits he's not in ideal shape and needs to get his football legs under him. But he's the 2nd TE right now.

Brandon Marshall said when rumbling of David Martin returning to the team got around the leftover players "got all excited" Now he see's why

Tyler Thigpen threw a touchdown pass in the back of the endzone to David Martin during 7-on-7 drills.

Chad Pennington's arm is clearly an issue. His balls are fluttering these days and cornerbacks get good breaks on them.

ILBer Austin Spitler was back at practice after missing sessions since Tuesday.

Sean Smith got to the quarterback on a corner blitz, beating FB Rolly Lombala. Cornerbacks are coming a lot. Not telling you who's dropping.

DE Charles Grant who has spent all week on the third team line, produced 3 sacks and is a threat as a pass rusher. Can u say nickel package

Pat White had a respectable day. I didn't see it for myself, but I'm told he didn't soil his diaper during the scrimmage.

Sean Smith made a nice breakup on a pass to Marshall to redeem himself from a week of schooling. Brandon actually said he's catching up

Some of my overall observations..The defense kicked the offense's backside. Blitzes from everywhere. Too much mixing and matching on offense

Kory Sheets said he has not received an injury settlement from the Dolphins, & hopes to continue rehabbing with the team "I want to be here"

"That's what he does and he's done well. Guy can do a lot of jobs, but is learning the 5-technique stuff," Sparano on Charles Grant, 3 sacks

Sparano said he felt Nolan Carroll early in scrimmage. Made a couple plays on the ball, but dropped an interception.

Sparano said one of the best things about Chad Henne is that he bounces back from those bad practices. "He's been very consistent out here."

When asked about Dan Carpenter's kicks, Sparano said "knowing Carpenter I hope he's got it out of his system."

Sparano said David Martin's recall is very good and his healthy is close to 100 percent.

"Charlie was a guy I felt a little bit ... That's what he does ... Learning 5 techniques stuff" on grant

"Guy I felt early was nolan carroll ... Made a couple plays"

Henne is "reslient ... Bounces back from not so good days"

Laughs and shakes head when carpenter's 3 misses come up .... "Not worried about carpenter"

David martin "won't require whole lot of learning ... Have good history w/him"

3 vets held out were for precautionary reasons

"Not sure today helped any of quarterbacks ..." Henne had been completing 75-76 pct in practice w/just 2 ints

Spitler lost 12 pounds or so w/salmonella. Only had about 10 plays today

Seems down, maybe some disappointment in offense

"Can't judge a whole lot from 55-60 plays they ran today ... Going by 700 plus plays run so far"

On sean smith getting tested early ... "Good play ... Good coverage"

Sparano is here

Practice has resumed

They ran eight series. Henne took 30 reps, thigpen 24, penny and white 10 each

Nolan's defense WAY ahead of Henning's o

Quickie thoughts: Charles Grant isn't done yet, Sean Smith rallied nicely, Pat White did better than expected

Scrimmage has ended. Full highlites to come on sun sentinel blog

I can't believe it, and you probably won't either, but I'm excited to watch Marlon Moore after what I saw yesterday.

Newly re-signed TE David Martin looks a little bit heavier than I remember him. He's listed at 265.

David Martin, newly signed, has a sleeve on right knee but appears to be moving well

Sparano is watching drills w/ his orange "feed the wolf" shirt

Berger is starting center, incognito starts @ LG, Jerry at RG

Offense is missing Camarillo, Cobbs and Grove, it appears

Austin Spitler is dressed and apparently available for firsat time since last weekend

Sean Smith continues his second day as the starting cornerback opposite Vontae Davis. Will Allen is here and working as usual.

Rookie John Jerry continues his unbroken streak of working as the starting right guard.

Richie Incognito continues to work as the starting left guard, ahead of Donald Thomas.

Patrick Cobbs, who is recovering from an ACL injury, is not in attendance at this point. He sat out Friday's afternoon practice.

Dolphins OT Vernon Carey is back at practice. He sat out Friday's afternoon session for undisclosed reasons.

Dolphins C Jake Grove, who suffered a leg bruise, is sitting out practice.

Dolphins WR Greg Camarillo, who is nursing a groin injury, is sitting out Saturday's practice.

That helmet is pretty sweet. And good read on Karlos, he's going to do big things this season. Haven't had a LB of his caliber since Zach.

Man, I love this D 
pimp.gif

Exotic blitzes help Dolphins' defense dominate scrimmage

Mike Nolan's defense produced six sacks and one interception
DAVIE – Dolphins strong safety Yeremiah Bell spent a good portion of Saturday's scrimmage inches from the line of scrimmage.

Inside linebacker Karlos Dansby could often be found running 30-yards downfield covering a tight end, and at times a receiver.

And defensive ends were lining up over the center.

To the Dolphins' offense, the unusual was the norm during Saturday's intrasquad scrimmage, where the defense dominated.

Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan threw exotic blitzes to keep the quarterbacks and offensive linemen off balance.

The end result was six sacks, and one interception of a Tyler Thigpen screen pass that linebacker Charlie Anderson corralled when rookie cornerback Nolan Carroll deflected the ball into the air.

"If you look at the offensive line you could see those guy's eyes getting big because they don't know who is coming from where," Bell said.

Bell and cornerback Sean Smith sacked backup quarterback Chad Pennington on back-to-back plays.

Defensive end Charles Grant, who is working with the third team in the first week, produced three sacks, and Lionel Dotson managed a sack that negated a beautiful sideline grab from tight end Joey Haynos.

"Made me want to go and play safety seeing Yeremiah Bell running around like a mad man," said tight end Anthony Fasano. "If an offense doesn't study them hard they are going to have trouble."

Fasano and his unit should know, considering Nolan's schemes have given the offense fits all week, consistently applying pressure to the quarterback.

What's most troubling, or enticing — depending on how you wish to view it — is that the pressure is coming from everywhere. Inside linebacker blitzes. Outside linebacker blitzes. Cornerback and safety blitzes. Defensive line stunts.

"You never know where we're coming from, and with me and Channing [Crowder] on the inside we can play Mike and Moe (linebacker spots) and it throws the offense off. Today we had them really confused," Dansby said.

"That's how we're going to blow some people away [this season], I think."

While coach Tony Sparano's concerned about his offense, he's the first to point out the defense is usually ahead of the offense at this point.

But if Tampa Bay applies that type of pressure during Saturday night's exhibition opener it'll be time to get concerned.

For now, Sparano said the defense needs to start weeding out the average blitzes from the ones that can be dynamic, and perfecting them.

Last season the Dolphins' defense produced 44 sacks, which was good enough to finished third in the NFL.

But they were one of the worst teams when it came pressuring quarterbacks, and that's a category Sparano hoped would improve.

Based on Saturday's scrimmage it appears the defense is off to good start. Now if only the offense could catch up.

"On offense there's always a saying. 'Ten guys could do it right but it's one guy who can mess it up on offense and the whole play won't work," said Thigpen, who completed 6-of-17 passes.

"The biggest thing right now is with us subbing everyone in we've just all got to get on the same page. We'll come out one day and have a good day, then the next take a step back. That's something you can't afford to do."

By Omar Kelly, Sun Sentinel

Heat where are your predictions man? You been avoiding that predictions thread? If you have as much faith as I do, let's hear it.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Heat where are your predictions man? You been avoiding that predictions thread? If you have as much faith as I do, let's hear it.
laugh.gif

I made a prediction already. It's on the 1st or 2nd page. It was 11-4-1
laugh.gif

[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Marshall isn't a burner down the field, but in 2007 he gained 15.5 per catch when Jay Cutler was throwing him passes. That number went down to 11.1 last season in McDaniels' dink-and-dunk offense, which has some re-thinking the idea Marshall is a vertical threat. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "Last year, I broke down my catches and I was catching the ball at 4 or 5 yards," Marshall said. "We didn't stretch the field at all." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] The Dolphins plan to do more of that with big-armed passer Chad Henne.  [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "This year, I will be the No. 1 receiver in the league," Marshall said. "On the field works hand and hand with off the field. You can't be who you want to be if off the field isn't right. Now that I have things in order, I wake up every day and I'm excited to come into this building. I want to be on the field. This is the time for me to go to the next level, separate myself from the other guys in the league." [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica][/font]

[h1]Dolphins camp report: Forget rep, Marshall's a sweet catch[/h1]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] DAVIE, Fla. -- This one move caught the coach's eye more than any Brandon Marshall has made so far as the newest receiver for the Miami Dolphins. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] Marshall was traded to the Dolphins by the Denver Broncos in one of the blockbuster deals of the offseason this past April. He brought with him a load of baggage, and not the Louis Vuitton kind. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica] So when Marshall made his way through the team's facility for the first time in a meet-and-greet, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano witnessed something he didn't quite expect. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "The first time in the door, he walked up to all of his teammates and introduced himself," Sparano said. "Sometimes with players that come with his stripes, they don't really do that. They're waiting for players to go to them. Not Brandon. He went to them all." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] That was a good sign. Keeping it that way will be even better. The Dolphins not only traded two second-round picks to get Marshall, but they also gave him a $47 million contract extension, including $24 million in guaranteed money. The football talent says he will be worth it. The off-the-field issues cloud that thinking. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] Marshall seemed to stay in the news in a bad way in his first four seasons in the league, all with the Broncos. A big, tall, athletic receiver, Marshall caught over 100 passes in each of the past three seasons, which should have cemented him as one of the league's bright, young stars. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] The problem: He caught more flak than passes. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] Whether it was the litany of off-field problems with the law -- from domestic issues to a DUI arrest to being in the limo when a teammate was killed by gunfire sitting next to him -- or his spats with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels, Marshall has always seemed to be in the news. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] That earned him a label, one he will have a tougher time shaking than any defensive back: [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] Problem child. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] I have to admit when I met Marshall at the Pro Bowl last February, I thought he would be rough around the edges, that his no-talk act during that week was another case of a diva receiver who was every bit as surly as his reputation. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica]What I found was a smart, engaging man who was anything like the reputation. [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] I actually like the guy. There, I said it. I'm not saying I condone anything he has done, but sitting down and talking with him is enjoyable -- even if I had to admit to him that I was wrong on the prediction I made to him last February that he wouldn't be traded and also get paid. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] He got both of his wishes. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] Battered and beaten for his misdeeds, Marshall is now trying to repair his image. In a 20-minute sit down at the Dolphins facility this week, he was candid, opinionated, remorseful and mature. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] It's hard to believe this is the same guy who earned the label knucklehead in Denver. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "We all make our mistakes," Marshall said. "It's about how you react and get back up. Unfortunately, we play a sport where we're supposed to react before we think. Some of those things hurt me off the field. Instead of sometimes sitting back and thinking, I was reacting. That's what makes me good on the field. Unfortunately, it hurt me in the past a few times off it." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] Sparano said the Dolphins did an extensive investigation of Marshall before making the trade. They came away convinced they should make the deal. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] And the truth is this: While he has had some legal issues, including some domestic disputes, all charges, except for a 2007 DUI, were dropped. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "As days go by, as years go by, we all grow," Marshall said. "I have grown. The biggest thing that's different now is that I had to get rid of some people in my past that were killing me, someone close to me, someone who has been around since middle school. That turned for the worse and I let it happen. Once I got that baggage off of me, it made me a totally different person." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] Marshall married this summer. He seems like a new man. His teammates rave about him. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "It was kind of cool to see he wasn't the preconceived guy you might have thought him to be," Dolphins receiver Brian Hartline said. "People paint a different picture than what he really is. The guy is phenomenal. He coaches all the other receivers, from the 10th guy in the room to the second guy." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "What's his label?" Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby said. "Not a good teammate? The way he's come in here, he's already impressed. We don't look at him that way." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] [/font][table][tr][td]
img13755138.jpg
[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]Dolphins coach Tony Sparano says Brandon Marshall made a great first impression in Miami.(US Presswire)[/td][td] [/td][/tr][/table][font=Arial, Helvetica] Marshall admits he wasn't always a good team guy in Denver. He said he never should have punted the ball last summer during a practice, instead of giving it to a ball boy, and never should have swatted a pass away instead of trying to catch it. That led to a suspension from McDaniels. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "When I went home I was like, 'What the hell was I thinking?'" Marshall said. "But people don't know what happened before that, that I had a meeting with Josh McDaniels and some of the things he said to me. But my immaturity got the best of me. Kids looking up to you, wearing your jersey, seeing that wasn't a good example to set for them." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] The friction between McDaniels and Marshall lasted throughout the season, always on the verge of kindling a full-blown fire. It didn't help that Marshall wanted a new contract and Denver balked. It didn't help that Marshall didn't like the way the team handled his comeback after hip surgery in March 2009. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] Through it all, he still managed to catch 101 passes, including an NFL-record 21 in a loss to the Colts. The 101 catches gave him 307 in three seasons, cementing his place as one of the league's best receivers. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] For the Dolphins, a team that struggled to throw the football last season and have seemingly been on a search for a go-to receiver since Mark Clayton left, those numbers were enough to warrant a trade, baggage and all. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] So far, he has been what Miami expected and more. His work ethic has impressed. His ability to make those around him better has helped the offense. And his big-play ability will draw doubles that will open up the offense. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] Marshall isn't a burner down the field, but in 2007 he gained 15.5 per catch when Jay Cutler was throwing him passes. That number went down to 11.1 last season in McDaniels' dink-and-dunk offense, which has some re-thinking the idea Marshall is a vertical threat. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "Last year, I broke down my catches and I was catching the ball at 4 or 5 yards," Marshall said. "We didn't stretch the field at all." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] The Dolphins plan to do more of that with big-armed passer Chad Henne. Marshall, Hartline and Davone Bess give the Dolphins a nice trio of receivers. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "This year, I will be the No. 1 receiver in the league," Marshall said. "On the field works hand and hand with off the field. You can't be who you want to be if off the field isn't right. Now that I have things in order, I wake up every day and I'm excited to come into this building. I want to be on the field. This is the time for me to go to the next level, separate myself from the other guys in the league." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] The fans are certainly excited to have him. LeBron James might be this area's top acquisition for a pro sports team this year, but Marshall is a close second. He has been one of the darlings of camp. The fans go nuts with every catch he makes. His No. 19 jersey is already a hot seller. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "It gives me goose bumps," Marshall said. "The fans are embracing me." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] I asked Marshall if he feels reborn. Like most athletes in new surroundings, coming from troubled pasts, he said the expected: Yes. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] This is one player I actually believe. [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] "The perception is reality," Marshall said. "In this day and age, you have the media and bloggers, where people can say whatever they want. Sometimes they take things and blow them out of proportion. I'm not saying I was totally right in every situation. The guy that I was written about, and written to be, was just taken to another level. The people who truly know me will say I am a stand-up guy. That's all that matters, the people close to me, the people in this locker room, the people in this organization. All that stuff just made me a smarter guy, a wiser guy. It made me who I am today. I am not perfect. I still have a lot of work to do." [/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica] If first impressions are any indication, he's off to a heck of a start. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica][/font]
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Back
Top Bottom