(7-9) Miami Dolphins 2010 Season Thread: WE SUCK! THANK GOD IT'S OVER!!!

Originally Posted by h3at23

Ricky Williams documentary, Run Pass Ricky Pass Run, will be featured on ESPN's 30 for 30 series on April 27th at 8 pm

nerd.gif

finnns2003 wrote:
Meh, let me know when we get some actual talent to go with Nolan's schemes. I hate everyone on our D. Everyone.
Smith and Davis?
nerd.gif

Wake?

Merling?

Ferguson? (if he comes back)

We have some young talent on the roster. And believe it or not, the second Crowder got hurt, we started getting killed by Houston and Pitt thru the middlewhen Torbor or Aydole (sp) had to take over. If we can't get McClain, Crowder will be needed.

We need LB help

WR help

Smith & Davis are the 2nd coming of Madison & Surtain

We need a playmaker on offense for Henne.

Lets see what the draft will bring us

Originally Posted by CP1708

finnns2003 wrote:
Meh, let me know when we get some actual talent to go with Nolan's schemes. I hate everyone on our D. Everyone.
Smith and Davis?
nerd.gif

Wake?

Merling?

We have some young talent on the roster. And believe it or not, the second Crowder got hurt, we started getting killed by Houston and Pitt thru the middle when Torbor or Aydole (sp) had to take over. If we can't get McClain, Crowder will be needed.

Dontforget Langford, Starks and Bell.

Sometimes I think finns needs to go to a meeting b4 posting.

I forgot to post this:

Miami Dolphins name Bill Sheridan inside linebackers coach

As expected, the Miami Dolphins today named Bill Sheridan inside linebackers coach. He replacies George Edwards, who left after five seasons to become the Florida Gators' defensive coordinator.

Sheridan, 50, was fired as defensive coordinator of the New York Giants just one day after they lost to the Minnesota Vikings, 44-7, in their final game of the season. He spent one season in that position after his unit finished tied for 13th in the NFL in total defense (14th against the run and 15th against the pass). The Giants gave up 427 points this season, third-worst in the NFL.

Before being elevated to replace Steve Spagnuolo, Sheridan coached the Giants linebackers for four seasons.

Sheridan also has tied to Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne. He was finishing up a three-year stint as a defensive assistant at Michigan in 2004 when Henne was a freshman quarterback. Sheridan also had stops at Notre Dame, Michigan State and Army.

The Dolphins are still searching for a defensive coordinator to replace Paul Pasqualoni, who was fired last week after two seasons. The team is expected to interview Mike Nolan, who left the Denver Broncos this week after one season as their defensive coordinator.

Originally Posted by h3at23

finnns2003 wrote:
Smith and Davis?
nerd.gif

Wake?

Merling?

We have some young talent on the roster. And believe it or not, the second Crowder got hurt, we started getting killed by Houston and Pitt thru the middle when Torbor or Aydole (sp) had to take over. If we can't get McClain, Crowder will be needed.

Dontforget Langford, Starks and Bell.

Sometimes I think finns needs to go to a meeting b4 posting.

A meeting?
laugh.gif

Dude, we just flat out sucked last season. The D killed us down the stretch. The last 3 games, they were horrific. Everyone is accountable. If you don't hold them accountable, then hey that's on you. These guys laid down and it got us killed. How about starting off with 27-0 or 24-3 games? Seriously, they were horrific and I think you developed some selective amnesia or something.

Bell can't defend the pass at all. He and Gerbil are the same kind of player and a huge reason our pass D blew. The D-Line is pretty stout but Ferguson is injury prone and is getting old. Smith and Davis? SERIOUSLY? Those two got toasted more than a Quiznos sub. Wake is one-dimensional, and a huge liability in the run as Sparano pointed out. The big reason he wasn't on the field much.

So there you have it guys. Say we have good players on D, I'll disagree. We have 'okay' players. No one who would snag an All-Pro award or take over a game. And it's a big reason we're home for the playoffs this year.

Smith and Davis were also rookies last year man.  You gotta give them time to grow a little don'tcha?  You expect them to be Revis from day 1?  Come on. 

They made plays, they were always right where they needed to be, they just didn't have much help from their safties as well as no real nickel once Allen was gone and Davis was pushed into the starting lineup.  That's what killed us. 

They did let us down towards the end of the season, but young players need time, and if we add 2-3 more guys that can play right away, in 1-2 years we could have a top end D.  And Nolan can help progress that.  Have faith man.  Let's see where the offseason takes us, and then we should have a good idea what we'll look like in 10.  We know the schedule is better then last years gauntlet. 
sick.gif

Smith and Davis were also rookies last year man.  You gotta give them time to grow a little don'tcha?  You expect them to be Revis from day 1?  Come on. 

They made plays, they were always right where they needed to be, they just didn't have much help from their safties as well as no real nickel once Allen was gone and Davis was pushed into the starting lineup.  That's what killed us. 

They did let us down towards the end of the season, but young players need time, and if we add 2-3 more guys that can play right away, in 1-2 years we could have a top end D.  And Nolan can help progress that.  Have faith man.  Let's see where the offseason takes us, and then we should have a good idea what we'll look like in 10.  We know the schedule is better then last years gauntlet. 
sick.gif

Absolutely not bro, but Smith had 0 INTs and Vontae got burned way too much. How about the Colts rookie CBs or a lot of the other rookie CBs? The Phins CBs were destroyed this season, moreso than a lot of rookies and I am worried about that.

That is partly our safeties fault which is another reason I say we need to address this. Wilson should be cut with no salary cap next season. We need 4 new LBs and a nose tackle as well.

Fix these areas and it looks a lot better, especially with Pasqua-bologna gone.

finnns2003 wrote:
CP1708 wrote:

sick.gif

Absolutely not bro, but Smith had 0 INTs and Vontae got burned way too much. How about the Colts rookie CBs or a lot of the other rookie CBs? The Phins CBs were destroyed this season, moreso than a lot of rookies and I am worried about that.

That is partly our safeties fault which is another reason I say we need to address this. Wilson should be cut with no salary cap next season. We need 4 new LBs and a nose tackle as well.

Fix these areas and it looks a lot better, especially with Pasqua-bologna gone.

Smith was only thrown at 7.3% of his total snaps. That was the 7[sup]th[/sup] fewest in the league and was as a rookie
sick.gif
 . QB's were scared so obviously Vontae will get thrown at and get beat more. Also, go back and see who Vontae got burned by. Plus, you have 2 safeties that have the same game and rather be in the box and suck at coverage. Vontae had what 5-6 int? This season was amazing for their development.

Once we lost Ferg, the front 7 were exposed. You sould already know how important a NT is to our 3-4 D. Our former DC just couldn't adjust so now he's gone.

Nolan is an amazing DC but sucked as HC. I think him alone will improve our D next season. I cant wait for all the blitz packages next season

I agree w/ the last 2 statements you said.

I knew you'd like the "meeting" comment
laugh.gif

Sit back and take a look at how our team fared this year against the two super bowl teams, Colts and Saints, and also our two games vs the Jets. 

If you remember those games, you know how tough we were.  We aren't as far away as it may seem. 

More seasoning for Henne, a big play threat, little more depth on each line, added work from our 2 young corners, and some good safeties would go a loooooong ways towards getting us where we wanna be.  If we have a strong off season, we can get back in the playoff mix for next season. 

CP1708 wrote:
Sit back and take a look at how our team fared this year against the two super bowl teams, Colts and Saints, and also our two games vs the Jets. 

If you remember those games, you know how tough we were.  We aren't as far away as it may seem. 

More seasoning for Henne, a big play threat, little more depth on each line, added work from our 2 young corners, and some good safeties would go a loooooong ways towards getting us where we wanna be.  If we have a strong off season, we can get back in the playoff mix for next season. 

CHURCH

I think we're good at SS w/Bell. The kid Clemons also has potential at FS but I agree we need to get a FS 

Clemons, as one member of a Phins board said, looked lost everytime he touched the field. I don't know, he reminds me of Jason Allen. Guys with physical ability but no smarts.

finnns2003 wrote:
Clemons, as one member of a Phins board said, looked lost everytime he touched the field. I don't know, he reminds me of Jason Allen. Guys with physical ability but no smarts.

Looked lost? I did not see that. As a matter of fact, dude was making plays and was a starter. Maybe he had afew ROOKIE mistakes but he was solid to say the least.

Miami Dolphins safety Yeremiah Bell added to Pro Bowl squad

The Miami Dolphins will be represented in this weekend's Pro Bowl game after all.

Dolphins strong safety Yeremiah Bell was named to the AFC Pro Bowl roster on Monday as the replacement for Colts safety Antoine Bethea, who will be playing in the Super Bowl that South Florida will host next week.

Because the Pro Bowl, which will be played inside the Dolphins' own Sun Life Stadium on Sunday at 7:20 p.m., will take place prior to the Super Bowl, the players selected from New Orleans and Indianapolis were replaced by alternates.

Bell, who finished 2009 first in tackles (113), and contributed 1.5 sacks, and a career-high three interceptions, was the first alternate at strong safety.

He will be the Dolphins' only representative in the Pro Bowl because Jake Long, who was named the AFC's starting left tackle, withdrew from the game because of an undisclosed injury and was replaced by New York Jets' offensive lineman D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

This is Bell's first Pro Bowl in his six-year career, all of which has been spent with the Dolphins. Bell, who began his career on the Dolphins' practice squad, becomes the first Dolphins safety selected to the Pro Bowl since Brock Marion made the team in 2003

I saw it a few times, way out of position. Good for Bell, but the secondary is a black eye until Wilson is cut. Really need to find a FS in the offseason. And now that Will Allen is coming back, I wonder if one of the "rookies" gets sent to nickel duties.

I rather have Allen at the nickel and let the kids grow.  IF they improve like they should, they could be a tough duo to throw on, much like Madison and Surtain were (they too were young, and gave up some big plays as rookies, and then things changed.......
nerd.gif
wink.gif
 )

If we can't get Dez, but McClain is there and is the pick, that will give us a top young MLB, and 2 young corners, and maybe we'll see about Clemons, but we would still need a complement to play alongside Bell for now.  With Allen in the nickel, we have the makings of a nice secondary, and hopefully, a nice young MLB to plug in there.  Maybe we move Crowder to outside, maybe we move him out altogether, I dunno, but we'd be on our way.  Work on the pass rush, and with good secondary play, that pass rush could get even better. 

Only problem with that is, if we do get McClain, we still desperately need a big play WR.  Maybe we can get one in round 2, but we HAVE to address this.  We can't keep putting it off.  Ricky and Ronnie won't be around forever, and you never know with health how long players can last, so we need to get it together. 

Strong running game, a hopefully improved young strong defense, a young QB with a solid arm learning on the job, and maybe one or two more weapons for him, solid club right there. 

Originally Posted by finnns2003

I saw it a few times, way out of position. Good for Bell, but the secondary is a black eye until Wilson is cut. Really need to find a FS in the offseason. And now that Will Allen is coming back, I wonder if one of the "rookies" gets sent to nickel duties.

A few times is correct (what do you expect from a rookie). Not everytime he touched the field. I'm not saying he doesn't need work but he can be good in a yr or 2.

No way would I put Sean nor Vontae in the nickel. Will already knows he'll be nickel. I also like Nate Jones as our dime. I think Nate did great this yr in the nickel.

I rather have Allen at the nickel and let the kids grow.  IF they improve like they should, they could be a tough duo to throw on, much like Madison and Surtain were (they too were young, and gave up some big plays as rookies, and then things changed.......
nerd.gif
wink.gif
 )

If we can't get Dez, but McClain is there and is the pick, that will give us a top young MLB, and 2 young corners, and maybe we'll see about Clemons, but we would still need a complement to play alongside Bell for now.  With Allen in the nickel, we have the makings of a nice secondary, and hopefully, a nice young MLB to plug in there.  Maybe we move Crowder to outside, maybe we move him out altogether, I dunno, but we'd be on our way.  Work on the pass rush, and with good secondary play, that pass rush could get even better. 

Only problem with that is, if we do get McClain, we still desperately need a big play WR.  Maybe we can get one in round 2, but we HAVE to address this.  We can't keep putting it off.  Ricky and Ronnie won't be around forever, and you never know with health how long players can last, so we need to get it together. 

Strong running game, a hopefully improved young strong defense, a young QB with a solid arm learning on the job, and maybe one or two more weapons for him, solid club right there. 
Gilyard looked great today in the senior bowl practice. Watcha think about him?

^
I liked Gilyard from what I saw/heard of him.  I would take just about anybody in the 2nd round if we don't get Dez.  Benn, Dez Briscoe, Marty, maybe if Tate falls a little bit we could move up.  If Tate falls towards the back end of the first round, Bill could move up a few picks to get him, maybe give up something in the 11 draft.  I dunno, I'm all over the place with this pick . We have major needs on both sides of the ball, as long as we take players that can play and no more Jason Allen type picks, we should be fine. 

I'm thinking that McClain is going to rise up and not be there for us at 12, so our options could be wide open.  If Dez and McClain are both gone, then I hope like hell we actually trade down and add extra picks. 

I've even seen a mock that has us takin Haden.  That to me is way too many CB's to be taking in back to back drafts.  lol  But who knows with Bill? 
laugh.gif

Dude we need a NT too. I wouldn't be opposed to a NT in the 2nd. If this is a 3-year project for Parcells, he should trade for Marshall.

A rift between the Dolphins and Porter is mutual

Immediately following the 2009 regular-season, Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter met with coach Tony Sparano and the two discussed the player's season as well as his future with the team.

It was a frank discussion because, as one source close to Porter said, "Joey's no shrinking violet. He says what's on his mind."

No lie. Porter told Sparano he wasn't happy. He said he was not happy with his number of snaps, which were at times limited during the season. He said he wasn't happy about being suspended for the Nov. 15 Tampa Bay game. He said he believed he was playing out of position at times during the season.

Porter, who feeds on emotion and fancies himself a team leader, apparently believed he was limited in his ability to do what he does best because he often found himself on the sideline rather than in the game.

In short, Porter made it clear that he wasn't happy much of 2009.

It was a private meeting, but the extent of Porter's simmering private unhappiness recently boiled over publicly.

Last week, appearing on Romeo in the Morning on Hot 94.1 in Bakersfield, California, Porter's home town, the enigmatic linebacker told the show host that he didn't want to return to the Dolphins in 2010. He repeated the complaints he made to Sparano -- that he wasn't happy with his role, that he wasn't happy about being benched.

And then, according to two listeners who heard the interview and e-mailed me to report what was said, Porter and Romeo discussed what teams Porter would be happy playing for going forward. Porter discussed wanting to play for a team closer to home. The two joked about Porter not going to the Raiders because Romeo is a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs. (The Chiefs and Raiders are traditional rivals.)

I reached out to Romeo to get a copy of the show, but he said he couldn't help because he does not archive his show. That's the reason I cannot directly quote what Porter said on the air.

The point is this: We knew the Dolphins weren't thrilled with Porter at times during the season. Obviously he was benched for disciplinary reasons. Team sources also spread the word that Porter might not play at all the remainder of the season following that suspension. That obviously didn't happen, but it seemed to be something that was discussed.

And the fact that Porter was injured much of the season and didn't produce at the level he did in 2008 seemed to raise eyebrows on the team that perhaps he was starting to decline. That all led to the possibility that Porter might not return for 2010.

But now we know the feelings seem mutual.

No, Porter has not asked to be traded. No, the rift is not irreparable.

But there are issues.

Jeff Sperbeck, Porter's California-based agent, is expected to try and meet with the Dolphins in Mobile, Ala., this week. Sperbeck declined to speak to The Herald on this topic. But he is expected to seek clarity about the issues Porter had with the team and those the team had with Porter while he and the Miami staff are at the Senior Bowl conducting business.

The meeting could give both sides a clear indication if the Porter-Dolphins union is headed for a divorce or not. If that divorce is to happen, it will most likely come before March 1 when the Dolphins owe Porter a $1 million roster bonus. Later this offseason, they will owe Porter another $200,000 for a workout bonus.

Porter has $2.4 million guaranteed coming this year from the Dolphins regardless of what happens. Of course, that is a blip on the radar in a year there is likely to be no salary cap. Cutting or trading Porter would have no cap ramifications for the Dolphins if there is no collective bargaining agreement and thus no cap.

The purpose of this post is strictly informational. This is not opinion. I'll give you my opinion on all this plus my analysis of what might happen in my post tomorrow.

Jason Taylor will continue to play, hopes to stay with Miami Dolphins

MIRAMAR - Jason Taylor plans to play in 2010, and wants to remain with the Miami Dolphins, the team he's spent all but one of his 13 seasons in the NFL with.

But Taylor has been around long enough to know the Dolphins are actively looking for his replacement, which means he might be searching for another team come March.

"It's a business, and we'll see where it takes us," said Taylor, whose 127.5 sacks makes him the NFL's active sacks leader. "If they don't find who they want, and [other] teams don't find who they want, that's when your phone starts ringing."

Taylor, a six-time Pro Bowl pick, sought his release from the ******** last offseason because of a strong desire to return to the Dolphins. After months of lobbying he signed a one-year contract that paid him roughly $1.5 million to rejoin his families – the team, and his wife and kids -- in South Florida.

But Taylor, who contributed 42 tackles, seven sacks, an interceptions and forced three fumbles last season, sounds like a man bracing for another relocation.

If the Dolphins opt not to re-sign him, the 35-year-old will have to find another suitor because his goal is to prove he's still an elite pass rusher.

"I know I can play. It's just a matter of being in the right situation, the right position, and utilizing what I bring to a football team the right way," said Taylor, who launched an after-school DJ program at his foundation's Reading Room on Friday.

Taylor admitted at times the 2009 season was a struggle. Especially how the season ended, with a three-game losing streak that knocked the Dolphins out of playoff contention.

Much like Joey Porter, the team's other starting outside linebacker, Taylor acknowledged it was tough adjusting to a reduced role that required both leave the field regularly. While Taylor said he hasn't spoken to Porter recently and admits he's uncertain about Porter's status with the team, Taylor confessed he can relate.

"We're both competitors. Some guys in this league are fine with rotating. We've never been those kind of guys," Taylor said. "But there comes a point in everyone's career where you have to make adjustments. Like I said before, whatever the team needed me to do I was willing to do it.

"I played the [strong side] linebacker position I'd never played before and was fine with it. I could understand him not wanting to come off the field. You could understand me not wanting to come off the field too…. If he was fine with sitting on the sideline and not caring to play, everyone would be on him for that….You want a guy that wants to play, and that's why we respect him so much."

Taylor said he's a fan of Porter's and will continue to be whether they are playing together or not next season.

"When I wanted to come back to the Dolphins he went to bat for me. We tried to do the best we could to make it work. At times we did well. At other times we lacked a lot, a lot of production," Taylor said, referring to the 16 sacks they collectively produced. "I don't know where his road is going to take him. I'm not sure where my road is going to take me."
  By Omar Kelly

Antrel Rolle headed to Miami Dolphins?

FORT LAUDERDALE - Pro Bowl Cardinals free safety Antrel Rolle, in the last year of a contract expected to pay him $8.11 million plus a $4 million roster bonus, said he'd love to play for the Miami Dolphins someday.

"I would love to take some of the burden off mom and dad, being they travel to each and every game," said Rolle. "Miami is home. I haven't played there in five years, so hey, we could make it happen."

The Cardinals will most likely try to restructure the deal or cut Rolle to avoid paying the roster bonus March 1. The Dolphins could be in the market for a free safety after the disappointing season of free-agent pickup Gibril Wilson.

Rolle, 27, a former Hurricane who still maintains a residence in Homestead, said he'd miss Cardinals quarterback
Kurt Warner, who retired Friday.

"That's a bittersweet subject for me," Rolle said. "I'm happy he's going out on his own will ... but at the same time he'll be missed. He's one of my inspirations and leaders that I look to in tough situations."

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

Any chance the Phins pick up Tebow if he drops to the 3rd/4th round?

God I hope not. No more picks on QBs. 

My dream draft:

1 rd : Dez/Rolando

2 rd : Cody/Benn

3 rd : Myron Rolle

Back
Top Bottom