52% of Young Adults (18-29) Live W/ Their Parents: The Highest Rate Ever Surpassing Even the Great Depression

Knock down some of these vacant plazas, malls, etc. with a lot companies now realizing they don’t need brick and mortar buildings and converting to online, they can build more apartments or homes in these areas.
I definitely think we should do this

Especially with dying malls. They are usually well located and have public transportation lines on them too, which will help lower-income folk. Plus they have parking garages on them that could be utilized in different ways. Or parking lots where you could build extra apartments or things like a grocery store, pharmacy, etc, that will put services within walking distances for people.

Knock down some of these vacant plazas, malls, etc. with a lot companies now realizing they don’t need brick and mortar buildings and converting to online, they can build more apartments or homes in these areas.
But you know what they build won’t be for regular folks, that’s part of the problem

Like for example they just knocked down one of the old housing projects back home in Baltimore…It’s supposed to be re built as “mixed use” and for everybody, but we all know the folks that used to live there never coming back once one of these “modern” “luxury” builders get the contract and start putting **** up with unreasonable rents

.... Because they’re trying to build everything “luxury” and everyone doesn’t have luxury money.

... that’s why you see so many vacant hi-end apartments and whatnot
Basically. That's why the rich wanna get richer. Middle class is either going poor or wealthier. Low or poor class will become more poor. :smh:. Distribution of wealth? It's like a pipe dream. Lowered wages and rising costs or prices.

each political party is in favour of keeping prices high in one way or another.. For me it breaks down like this.

The NDP (progressive party)

Don't want to solve the supply problem, because they are the party of fancy downtown cultural elites, who live in historically preserved neighborhoods
and will fight tooth and nail to prevent new housing being built. and blah blah about "neighborhood character"

and there's a bunch of hippie old school environmentalist who think more people are bad

The Liberals (the center left party)

they don't want to address supply because they are the party of 40+ year old middle class suburbanites,
they already bought their houses, and are invested in keeping prices high.

The Conservatives

They are the least constrained on housing, as they are mostly the national party of a petrol state (Alberta) and tend to be natural allies of developers.

BUT they are invested in racism (not to the degree that the republican party is)

but enough that conservative city councillors will lean towards keeping the riff raf (read: non white people) out of suburban areas.

Tbh, I feel like its the right to do. Idk why Americans think we’re supposed to move out at 18, struggle and eat ramen everyday. Meanwhile, immigrants are 2/3 families to a house stacking. Skip the dumb*** apartment stage of life, stay home, stack your bread, build your credit and go straight to buying a house.
But I don’t think that’s happening either. Social media has just inflated the American idea of spend it even if you ain’t got it. So now living at home people have “extra” money to go on trips, concerts, events, games, etc

The wild thing is there is already alotta building going on but anything new is “luxury” and they taxing on the rent…They stopped building places for poor/regular folks in like the 80’s, and even those old buildings cost more than they should :smh:

they do that because it's so cumbersome to build anything,
the only way to make money after battling through years and years of regulation is to build "luxury" units

remove burdensome regulations and you'll get more affordable units.

The most infuriating thing is how people will come up with the most nonsensical BS to avoid building taller buildings.

I was listening to some progressive podcasts and some chick fixed her lips to say "we shouldn't be so fixated on tall buildings, what about TINY HOUSES"

******* TINY HOUSES. those ******* youtube meme houses :sick:
Id bet a million dollars bet she doesn't live in a tiny house.

mean while conservative news papers be like
1631576026996.png

trailer parks???? :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface:
?????????

Ninjahood living in his rent stabilized apartment, and probably buying up land in DR. One hand he is mocked, other hand his apartment helps him.

I could have moved home during the pandemic, however my work keeps saying we’re returning to office, we’re returning to office, we’re returning to office…. Almost two years later I’m working from home in my apt smfh

I assume cost of living is significantly lower in some regions of the south. Dunno if I could live in a red state where they assume all Asian people are chinese and named wuhan covid.

The most infuriating thing is how people will come up with the most nonsensical BS to avoid building taller buildings.

I was listening to some progressive podcasts and some chick fixed her lips to say "we shouldn't be so fixated on tall buildings, what about TINY HOUSES"

****ing TINY HOUSES. those ****ing youtube meme houses :sick:
Id bet a million dollars bet she doesn't live in a tiny house.

mean while conservative news papers be like
1631576026996.png

trailer parks???? :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface: :stoneface:
?????????
2 things

1. I have a cousin in Canada who built a tiny house. She doesn't live in it or rent it out, instead she lives with her mother. The people that have tiny houses don't even want them damn things :lol:

2. Canada has a rich trailer park history. Just look at the hit documentary series Trailer Park Boys.

But I don’t think that’s happening either. Social media has just inflated the American idea of spend it even if you ain’t got it. So now living at home people have “extra” money to go on trips, concerts, events, games, etc

... I know a chic who stay with her folks. Talking about wanting goyard bags and those hermes “H” slides. S*** backwards as hell :lol: :lol:

they do that because it's so cumbersome to build anything,
the only way to make money after battling through years and years of regulation is to build "luxury" units

remove burdensome regulations and you'll get more affordable units.
I don't all the way buys this

I just don't think the economic incentives will be strong enough for them to build the needed supply even if restrictions are lifted

At the end of the day, I think cities and states will have to mandate developers build the required number of smaller affordable housing units.

Leaving up to the market 100% and expecting near-optimal results seems like a pretty naive move to me.

I assume cost of living is significantly lower in some regions of the south. Dunno if I could live in a red state where they assume all Asian people are chinese and named wuhan covid.

It’s actually not anymore. A lot of cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin, Houston are creeping up there in price. I just saw that the average 1 bedroom is like $1650 now in Atlanta. I remember back in 2017 when I wanted to move there, it was like $1100-1200. Everywhere that ain’t basically bumb**** Oklahoma is getting expensive af.

Actually, if you’re doing the “build your credit” part right, you can do all that.

I've been back at my parents since last November when my ex and I split. I moved in with her immediately after I graduated college in 2018.

Hindsight being 20/20 I should've went back home after graduating, my credit score has never been higher, my bank account is loaded. I'm just waiting for the right house. Cold day in h**** before I throw money away on rent again. Don't care.
Secure the bag king

I don't all the way buys this

I just don't think the economic incentives will be strong enough for them to build the needed supply even if restrictions are lifted

At the end of the day, I think cities and states will have to mandate developers build the required number of smaller affordable housing units.

Leaving up to the market 100% and expecting near-optimal results seems like a pretty naive move to me.

Look Im sure you're correct.
but imo the future is hard to predict, who knows what perverse market forces will arise.

i say deregulate first, then judiciously enact regulations when the market is failing to serve the people.

this is the one topic i think over regulation is a much bigger problem than lax regulation.

Ninjahood living in his rent stabilized apartment, and probably buying up land in DR. One hand he is mocked, other hand his apartment helps him.

If you don't see the difference. As if he's in this age range.

Ninjahood is 40 years old sleeping on a twin bed.

He's going to get his own place when it's time to retire?

If you don't see the difference. As if he's in this age range.

Ninjahood is 40 years old sleeping on a twin bed.

He's going to get his own place when it's time to retire?
I'm saying he's using it to his advantage. So he doesn't really care if he is mocked, at his age.

Not only that, but if he can buy a piece or link that cost that much, it doesn't look like he would spend the money into moving out. So hes pretty hypocritical. Besides, people laughed at him while his mother couldn't move around in the apartment or use the bathroom, cause of his collection. His priorities are not financially independent at his age. He will milk that apartment. And he gets by with his truck job. Not defending dude, but he does think he has it better. And he don't care. So that does make other people dislike dude. Ignorant, racist, and some other stuff.

My tiny house experience;

My girl was OBESSED with Tiny Houses.

She watched all the YouTube tiny house channels. Followed all the tiny house influencers

on the low tryna convince me we need to go in on a shipping contrainer and build "our" (read:her) dream home. :lol:

She became so obsessed she wanted to spend a night or two in one, so she went on air BnB and found Tiny House cabin, "sooo cute she said" 🥺

This goes on and she wears me down and After a While I just hand her my credit card.

Soooo 500 bucks later we pull up to some sketchy get out type house,

couple.of dusty looking bearded white dudes in flannels come out give us a lil red wagon to cary our stuff and they take us out to their back yard.

We walk past the racoon sanctuary...(yea you read that right, they had a series of make shift cages holding what looked like 20-30 wild racoons flinging feces at each other. :lol: )

We arrive at s perfect instagramable lil tiny house. “So cute looking”

...on the outside

On the inside it's just a plywood box, with a tiny fireplace and a bed and lil camping toilet stall. :lol:

Now I'm laughing on the inside, I'm watching her slowly come to the realization that this was
a terrible idea.

Now me, Im heavy sleeper, I can sleep through an asteroid strike so spending a night in that stupid tiny box is no prob for me.

But she's an incredibly light sleeper, if she's even slightly uncomfortable she will be wide awake for the next 12 hours.

So I'm just waiting at this point, we're playing cards and I'm just waiting, and then finally she says it.

"Babe...I'm so sorry....can we go home?? 🥺🥺 "

:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom