50 "cross trainers" that need to be retroed. Get to work Nike

Originally Posted by air max 87

wally while for the most part i agree with your post, like the Griffey Diamond Joints are
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

but for the most part trainers dont sell, the last few retros of trainers have ended up discounted and outlet bound (thats not to say it doesnt happen with all shoes, but more so these shoes)

the trainers market is fickle, the only people i see rocking trainers are us "the sneaker community" and trainers do ALRIGHT in the hood because thats what we grew up on
pimp.gif

i think alot of those you mentioned would bomb and end up like alot of the previous retro trainers in outlets for dirty cheap ($20 - $30)
True.
True.
and True.

But you have to ask yourself why. Maybe I am sensationalizing the retro past of these trainers, but when you have 20 other LS colorways release in and around an original colorway, the average consumer is left lumping everything together. The marketplace is flooded. And most of the time, flooded with mediocre quality. You would have to go back to almost the 1997-2001 retro phase of the at1, atIII, and sc trainer. Past that, slim pickings. Then there are instances when consumers all of a sudden care about the build and quality of a shoe. The auburn sc trainer was one of the most highly scrutinized releases that I have ever seen. Deservingly so. Does that show a passionate fanbase? Or maybe in Nike's eyes they are so petty and picky that they don't want to appease them anymore. Meanwhile other genres get the pass in the quality department.

Or maybe it's just time being the ultimate enemy to this genre. The further we get from the late 80s, those guys who had them then in high school, are now in their 40s. Not that they wouldn't care now but I've had instances where I'd wear an old retro trainer to the gym to play ball in, and they cause more memory flashes than jordans. Yet they are the ones in jordans. Accessibility to some of these colorways/models is impossible. Trying to explain to the average 40 year old that the last release of a certain shoe was 8 years prior. And wedged between that time and now was 3 limited overseas releases. And prices for them exceed $105 on ebay... Yeah, that's a good way to sell them something.... I could sell 25 GR AT1 chlorophylls on my own within 3 days right now.

They set this genre up to fail like they have it out for Tinker. Imagine a world where the jordan 1-7 release. Out of those 7, 1 is retroed 4 years after being released. Then 3 more are retroed 6 years later. 20 years pass and when it's all said and done, you have 3 models never seeing the light of day. And of the 4 that have released, the number of non OG colorways outweighs the OG colors 8 to 1.

I don't think any genre could succeed given the immediate past.

But if retros like the carnivore, griffey 1, griffey 2, and even  the Nomos can release and do okay numbers, any of these other 50 have an okay shot at moderate success. Give these shoes a chance to succeed. (Auburn SC trainers had a retro launch in September. Flashy white and orange sneakers for the fall?? No way. Everyone and their mother knows they shouldve released with a stronger launch date, preferably in the mid spring. But I guess that's just another excuse I have that comes with being a trainer fan.

I can go on about retros like the DT max 96 and the reason those flopped. But it's beginning to sound like a broken record

As far as the Super Zooms, Zoom Jet, etc. go, the nubby and the non-nubby (called "BBX") were actually both available through Eastbay.  I had 3-4 pairs of the Super Zoom BBX for my last year in high school and my first couple of years in college.  I couldn't find any pics, but the black/white Super Zooms were absolutely amazing as well.  I had the trainer and the cleats (anyone else remember the cleats?)  I think they were Nike's first to incorporate molded (heel) and detachable (forefoot) in the same cleat.

Wally, you have suggested Kobes over the new versions of Trainer 1, 1.2, Huaraches, etc. due to the full length zoom that we used to get in basically every high end trainer.  I raided my closet and busted out some of my older zooms for the gym and they've felt amazing:
Zoom Impact Turf:

Zoom Rage Turf:

I'd also throw another fairly recent Cross Trainer on my wish list: the Zoom Vapor Trainer (but preferably in the silver/blue CW)
nike_air_zoom_vapor_trainer_plus_02.JPG

As far as the Super Zooms, Zoom Jet, etc. go, the nubby and the non-nubby (called "BBX") were actually both available through Eastbay.  I had 3-4 pairs of the Super Zoom BBX for my last year in high school and my first couple of years in college.  I couldn't find any pics, but the black/white Super Zooms were absolutely amazing as well.  I had the trainer and the cleats (anyone else remember the cleats?)  I think they were Nike's first to incorporate molded (heel) and detachable (forefoot) in the same cleat.

Wally, you have suggested Kobes over the new versions of Trainer 1, 1.2, Huaraches, etc. due to the full length zoom that we used to get in basically every high end trainer.  I raided my closet and busted out some of my older zooms for the gym and they've felt amazing:
Zoom Impact Turf:

Zoom Rage Turf:

I'd also throw another fairly recent Cross Trainer on my wish list: the Zoom Vapor Trainer (but preferably in the silver/blue CW)
nike_air_zoom_vapor_trainer_plus_02.JPG

This Thread Is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
... So Many Shoes That Needed To Be Retroed In This Thread... Classic Pictures As Well...
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

This Thread Is
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
... So Many Shoes That Needed To Be Retroed In This Thread... Classic Pictures As Well...
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

wally while for the most part i agree with your post, like the Griffey Diamond Joints are
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

but for the most part trainers dont sell, the last few retros of trainers have ended up discounted and outlet bound (thats not to say it doesnt happen with all shoes, but more so these shoes)

the trainers market is fickle, the only people i see rocking trainers are us "the sneaker community" and trainers do ALRIGHT in the hood because thats what we grew up on
pimp.gif

i think alot of those you mentioned would bomb and end up like alot of the previous retro trainers in outlets for dirty cheap ($20 - $30)
I don't know what identifying a sound business strategy has to do with consumers wanting a specific product. Maybe you are in tune with markets and the business world but your speculation
does nothing to help the cause.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

I don't know what identifying a sound business strategy has to do with consumers wanting a specific product. Maybe you are in tune with markets and the business world but your speculation

Originally Posted by green rhino123

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Agree with you green rhino123.
No one opened a thread asking for some Air Tech Challege Hybrids and Nike released'em.
There's a lot of releases no one's waiting but Nike drops'em. There's a lot of releases that people are waiting and the result is a fail because of the retro quality (ATC IIIs, for example)...
At least there's a lot trainer fans here that ask for some quality trainer retros.
Nike itself told everyone they care about cross training dropping trainer 1s, 1.2s (and 1.3 in the near future).
If Nike think that cross trainer "market is fickle" why would they start the whole campaign for a new trainer...?

The question here is DOES NIKE REALLY CARE ABOUT CROSS TRAINERS?

Originally Posted by green rhino123

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Agree with you green rhino123.
No one opened a thread asking for some Air Tech Challege Hybrids and Nike released'em.
There's a lot of releases no one's waiting but Nike drops'em. There's a lot of releases that people are waiting and the result is a fail because of the retro quality (ATC IIIs, for example)...
At least there's a lot trainer fans here that ask for some quality trainer retros.
Nike itself told everyone they care about cross training dropping trainer 1s, 1.2s (and 1.3 in the near future).
If Nike think that cross trainer "market is fickle" why would they start the whole campaign for a new trainer...?

The question here is DOES NIKE REALLY CARE ABOUT CROSS TRAINERS?

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

1996 Air Muscle Max:
1996%20Air-Muscle-Max-pearl-Grey-178016-012-1large.jpg
-Screams 'rugged' to me. Just feels and looks like a classic. Hard to explain.  I had these joints in all white and they were indestructible.  They were built like tanks!

1994 Air Trainer Huarache:
1994%20Air-Trainer-Huarache-lapis-173028-101-1large.jpg

-Same release year as the Carnivore. This one also laceless with only velcro holding you down.  Love the Carnivores (one of my favorite releases of 2010), and I love these.  Instant cop in OG colorway.

1993 Air Trainer Max:
1993%20Air-Trainer-Max-sapphire-173019-110-1large.jpg

-Love it or hate it model once again. Some would consider too basic or bare. Something needed to compliment the red DT IIs above and the mariner emerald and black griffeys.  To me these are just SO clean.  Definitely would pick up a pair so long as they weren't more than, say, $110.

1993 Air Trainer Accel Mid:
1993%20Air-Trainer-Accel-Mid-clear-Jade-173023-110-1large.jpg

-Working our way back, quite possibly the beginning of the end for cross trainers as we once knew them as. Still not an entirely bad shoe, thats why its here.  One of my first pair of Nikes right here, and I'd love to have a new pair!

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

1996 Air Muscle Max:
1996%20Air-Muscle-Max-pearl-Grey-178016-012-1large.jpg
-Screams 'rugged' to me. Just feels and looks like a classic. Hard to explain.  I had these joints in all white and they were indestructible.  They were built like tanks!

1994 Air Trainer Huarache:
1994%20Air-Trainer-Huarache-lapis-173028-101-1large.jpg

-Same release year as the Carnivore. This one also laceless with only velcro holding you down.  Love the Carnivores (one of my favorite releases of 2010), and I love these.  Instant cop in OG colorway.

1993 Air Trainer Max:
1993%20Air-Trainer-Max-sapphire-173019-110-1large.jpg

-Love it or hate it model once again. Some would consider too basic or bare. Something needed to compliment the red DT IIs above and the mariner emerald and black griffeys.  To me these are just SO clean.  Definitely would pick up a pair so long as they weren't more than, say, $110.

1993 Air Trainer Accel Mid:
1993%20Air-Trainer-Accel-Mid-clear-Jade-173023-110-1large.jpg

-Working our way back, quite possibly the beginning of the end for cross trainers as we once knew them as. Still not an entirely bad shoe, thats why its here.  One of my first pair of Nikes right here, and I'd love to have a new pair!

Diamond furys and barrages are the only things on that list worth a retro. With all the griff releases we have had recently nike should at least do the diamond furys, og colorways of course. They already randomly did a retro of diamond fury 2 baseball cleats without us saying a word about it, so if we push on it now we might get em like the emeralds. Someone should start that thread now imo.

Diamond furys and barrages are the only things on that list worth a retro. With all the griff releases we have had recently nike should at least do the diamond furys, og colorways of course. They already randomly did a retro of diamond fury 2 baseball cleats without us saying a word about it, so if we push on it now we might get em like the emeralds. Someone should start that thread now imo.

This thread is $$$...so many dope classics barrage, the streak and the missions in black...

This thread is $$$...so many dope classics barrage, the streak and the missions in black...

0f526274b00476d8e9dc3dfa2173aad920db3595.jpg
33116a400a6be1ccfa189f447aa7d13380f187c9.png

There wuz a superior Black and Orange colorway backintheday, but you take whut's you can get. If someone has a pic, please post...

0f526274b00476d8e9dc3dfa2173aad920db3595.jpg
33116a400a6be1ccfa189f447aa7d13380f187c9.png

There wuz a superior Black and Orange colorway backintheday, but you take whut's you can get. If someone has a pic, please post...

Back
Top Bottom