50 "cross trainers" that need to be retroed. Get to work Nike

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Great thread created.

Although with the cheaper materials that will be used on most of these, better be careful what you ask for.

*see most recent Bo Jackson SC retro, which I have already went through 5 pair because paint chips, white "leather" rubs off*
They get carnivores and both griffeys right... to a point where there is almost zero complaints. So I'm definitely hopeful they can turn the corner or at least pick one of these 50 as being worthy of a decent retro.

I think we might even need a whole new category or split this list into two.. So many football trainers you almost don't even realize were released. The only thing remotely seeing the light of day on the retro front has been the diamond turf 1 deion's and the DT MAX 96s. Maybe those are the only two retro molds they have. I thought as a early cross trainer fan, Nike neglected them. But for the mid to late 90 football trainer fan, you are all but extinct

Were'nt the air mission's Junior Seau's sig. shoe?
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/museu...g-Air-Mission-True-Royal-&-American-Blue/4394
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/museum/model/NIKE-Cross-Training-Air-Mission-Fire-Red/4395

Turmoils have some decent colors:
sne9sn.jpg

Favorite might be this red colorway: http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/museum/model/NIKE-Cross-Training-Air-Turmoil-Mid-Fire-Red/4952

Even the Veer's have that same sort of strap formation. Key to mid 90s football trainers:
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/museu...ining-Air-Veer-White-Black-&-Black-White/4723
----------------------

suguruvstotoro, those air trainer IIs are based off of the sc trainer II, right? I have some saved photos of the High version. It has the same plastic lace locks as the sc II... Another one of my favorites that I didnt list would be the air cross trainer III.
d6f256e492630cabc12b8600e423d3256950464.jpg
34d252c4b06d1c2cc70b22ce4b2ac03f1d7eb6b.jpg

Generically similar in almost all facets to the sc trainer III.

There was a cross trainer II 1999 on ebay recently that mightve ended for pretty cheap. did you see those? Those were pretty close to making the list. Those or possibly the zoom haven. Even the zoom seismic could have made it on here..

Do those cassettes still play? You should record some of those and put them up on youtube. I wonder if there is voice over celebrity athlete actors and music, or of its like a monotone "how to" instructional.
-----------------------

2012 will be the 25th Anniversary of the Nike Air Trainer High (at1) and launch of "cross training". I wonder what Nike has in store for next year. I'm expecting great things like what they did for the air force 1 in 2007. But i'll remain level headed about it.

If you think about the neglect late 80/early 90 trainers have faced, and then your mid 90 football trainers, it's comparable somewhat to Nike's Tennis line. Everything but Nike Basketball, Running, and JB are in the same neglected life raft in the middle of the ocean. Sorry if this offends some people, but what do people at Nike Retro NSW even do? At times it appears they go with a "close your eyes and pin the tail on the donkey" approach to pick out colors for various retro molds they have lying around.

And here's why I will never buy the excuse that molds are too hard to make or not worth the time or dont have the big wig backing.. If you can do something like this
Nike-Trainer-Esc-53-315347276602-image-1.jpg
Nike-Trainer-Esc-53-315347277402-image-1.jpg
nike-wmns-air-esc-high.jpg

then
Anything is POSSIBLE...
That is, btw, an Air Trainer E High Women's retro with a different outsole (sc trainer). Air trainer E came out originally in 1991 as seen in the first post.. They go through all this trouble to recreate a mold of this very complex UPPER, and that is what they do with it?

That is why I leave open any and all cross trainers to be retroed, because Nike doesn't seem to have any rhythm or reason to what they do.

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

Great thread created.

Although with the cheaper materials that will be used on most of these, better be careful what you ask for.

*see most recent Bo Jackson SC retro, which I have already went through 5 pair because paint chips, white "leather" rubs off*
They get carnivores and both griffeys right... to a point where there is almost zero complaints. So I'm definitely hopeful they can turn the corner or at least pick one of these 50 as being worthy of a decent retro.

I think we might even need a whole new category or split this list into two.. So many football trainers you almost don't even realize were released. The only thing remotely seeing the light of day on the retro front has been the diamond turf 1 deion's and the DT MAX 96s. Maybe those are the only two retro molds they have. I thought as a early cross trainer fan, Nike neglected them. But for the mid to late 90 football trainer fan, you are all but extinct

Were'nt the air mission's Junior Seau's sig. shoe?
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/museu...g-Air-Mission-True-Royal-&-American-Blue/4394
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/museum/model/NIKE-Cross-Training-Air-Mission-Fire-Red/4395

Turmoils have some decent colors:
sne9sn.jpg

Favorite might be this red colorway: http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/museum/model/NIKE-Cross-Training-Air-Turmoil-Mid-Fire-Red/4952

Even the Veer's have that same sort of strap formation. Key to mid 90s football trainers:
http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/museu...ining-Air-Veer-White-Black-&-Black-White/4723
----------------------

suguruvstotoro, those air trainer IIs are based off of the sc trainer II, right? I have some saved photos of the High version. It has the same plastic lace locks as the sc II... Another one of my favorites that I didnt list would be the air cross trainer III.
d6f256e492630cabc12b8600e423d3256950464.jpg
34d252c4b06d1c2cc70b22ce4b2ac03f1d7eb6b.jpg

Generically similar in almost all facets to the sc trainer III.

There was a cross trainer II 1999 on ebay recently that mightve ended for pretty cheap. did you see those? Those were pretty close to making the list. Those or possibly the zoom haven. Even the zoom seismic could have made it on here..

Do those cassettes still play? You should record some of those and put them up on youtube. I wonder if there is voice over celebrity athlete actors and music, or of its like a monotone "how to" instructional.
-----------------------

2012 will be the 25th Anniversary of the Nike Air Trainer High (at1) and launch of "cross training". I wonder what Nike has in store for next year. I'm expecting great things like what they did for the air force 1 in 2007. But i'll remain level headed about it.

If you think about the neglect late 80/early 90 trainers have faced, and then your mid 90 football trainers, it's comparable somewhat to Nike's Tennis line. Everything but Nike Basketball, Running, and JB are in the same neglected life raft in the middle of the ocean. Sorry if this offends some people, but what do people at Nike Retro NSW even do? At times it appears they go with a "close your eyes and pin the tail on the donkey" approach to pick out colors for various retro molds they have lying around.

And here's why I will never buy the excuse that molds are too hard to make or not worth the time or dont have the big wig backing.. If you can do something like this
Nike-Trainer-Esc-53-315347276602-image-1.jpg
Nike-Trainer-Esc-53-315347277402-image-1.jpg
nike-wmns-air-esc-high.jpg

then
Anything is POSSIBLE...
That is, btw, an Air Trainer E High Women's retro with a different outsole (sc trainer). Air trainer E came out originally in 1991 as seen in the first post.. They go through all this trouble to recreate a mold of this very complex UPPER, and that is what they do with it?

That is why I leave open any and all cross trainers to be retroed, because Nike doesn't seem to have any rhythm or reason to what they do.

The super Zooms are barry sanders last signature shoe. and the zoom Jet are Brett Farve's Signatures. he had a small short lived ad set

The super Zooms are barry sanders last signature shoe. and the zoom Jet are Brett Farve's Signatures. he had a small short lived ad set

Originally Posted by likethematrix

Hmm. The Lions colorway may top the Shumacher editions. I may have to rethink that list
IMG_0315.jpg

I've never really been a huge fan of the nubs on the bottom of the shoes. And the funny thing about that is, Barry himself didn't wear these on turf.
Straight white rubber outsole would be ideal

Sanders PE:
22656_01_lg.jpg

The Favre zoom jets that Favre himself wore didnt have nubs either:
61955_11_lg.jpg

61955_01_lg.jpg

vs. GR:
NikeAirZoomJet.jpg

If Nike could include the non nubbed version like the players wore, we would be in serious business.

Then again, it could be all up to the player. Kurt Warner wore these in the Superbowl... White/blues are pretty spectacular looking. His have the circular nubs:
51943_01_lg.jpg
51943_05_lg.jpg

That's a niche that Nike hasn't really jumped into yet

Originally Posted by likethematrix

Hmm. The Lions colorway may top the Shumacher editions. I may have to rethink that list
IMG_0315.jpg

I've never really been a huge fan of the nubs on the bottom of the shoes. And the funny thing about that is, Barry himself didn't wear these on turf.
Straight white rubber outsole would be ideal

Sanders PE:
22656_01_lg.jpg

The Favre zoom jets that Favre himself wore didnt have nubs either:
61955_11_lg.jpg

61955_01_lg.jpg

vs. GR:
NikeAirZoomJet.jpg

If Nike could include the non nubbed version like the players wore, we would be in serious business.

Then again, it could be all up to the player. Kurt Warner wore these in the Superbowl... White/blues are pretty spectacular looking. His have the circular nubs:
51943_01_lg.jpg
51943_05_lg.jpg

That's a niche that Nike hasn't really jumped into yet

I want the following of out of your list the most:

Air Cross Trainer (Low) - In a white/burgundy colorway I haven't seen since.
Air Cross Trainer II (Low) - I had this exact colorway. I think it was the first.

Air Trainer SC II (High) - everybody knows the deal with these

I want the following of out of your list the most:

Air Cross Trainer (Low) - In a white/burgundy colorway I haven't seen since.
Air Cross Trainer II (Low) - I had this exact colorway. I think it was the first.

Air Trainer SC II (High) - everybody knows the deal with these

No need to state the obvious with the quality. Since the Greatest DB of all time is on here the DB within me is looking for these.........
  ........Rod Woodson

No need to state the obvious with the quality. Since the Greatest DB of all time is on here the DB within me is looking for these.........
  ........Rod Woodson

wally while for the most part i agree with your post, like the Griffey Diamond Joints are
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

but for the most part trainers dont sell, the last few retros of trainers have ended up discounted and outlet bound (thats not to say it doesnt happen with all shoes, but more so these shoes)

the trainers market is fickle, the only people i see rocking trainers are us "the sneaker community" and trainers do ALRIGHT in the hood because thats what we grew up on
pimp.gif

i think alot of those you mentioned would bomb and end up like alot of the previous retro trainers in outlets for dirty cheap ($20 - $30)

wally while for the most part i agree with your post, like the Griffey Diamond Joints are
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

but for the most part trainers dont sell, the last few retros of trainers have ended up discounted and outlet bound (thats not to say it doesnt happen with all shoes, but more so these shoes)

the trainers market is fickle, the only people i see rocking trainers are us "the sneaker community" and trainers do ALRIGHT in the hood because thats what we grew up on
pimp.gif

i think alot of those you mentioned would bomb and end up like alot of the previous retro trainers in outlets for dirty cheap ($20 - $30)

1996%20Air-Muscle-Max-pearl-Grey-178016-012-1large.jpg

-Screams 'rugged' to me. Just feels and looks like a classic. Hard to explain.

^ I've a pair of these and they fit so small it's depressing. Supper narrow last, tiny toe box, and the arch support it just plain too high.

1996%20Air-Muscle-Max-pearl-Grey-178016-012-1large.jpg

-Screams 'rugged' to me. Just feels and looks like a classic. Hard to explain.

^ I've a pair of these and they fit so small it's depressing. Supper narrow last, tiny toe box, and the arch support it just plain too high.

Originally Posted by air max 87

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

True.
True.
and True.

But you have to ask yourself why. Maybe I am sensationalizing the retro past of these trainers, but when you have 20 other LS colorways release in and around an original colorway, the average consumer is left lumping everything together. The marketplace is flooded. And most of the time, flooded with mediocre quality. You would have to go back to almost the 1997-2001 retro phase of the at1, atIII, and sc trainer. Past that, slim pickings. Then there are instances when consumers all of a sudden care about the build and quality of a shoe. The auburn sc trainer was one of the most highly scrutinized releases that I have ever seen. Deservingly so. Does that show a passionate fanbase? Or maybe in Nike's eyes they are so petty and picky that they don't want to appease them anymore. Meanwhile other genres get the pass in the quality department.

Or maybe it's just time being the ultimate enemy to this genre. The further we get from the late 80s, those guys who had them then in high school, are now in their 40s. Not that they wouldn't care now but I've had instances where I'd wear an old retro trainer to the gym to play ball in, and they cause more memory flashes than jordans. Yet they are the ones in jordans. Accessibility to some of these colorways/models is impossible. Trying to explain to the average 40 year old that the last release of a certain shoe was 8 years prior. And wedged between that time and now was 3 limited overseas releases. And prices for them exceed $105 on ebay... Yeah, that's a good way to sell them something.... I could sell 25 GR AT1 chlorophylls on my own within 3 days right now.

They set this genre up to fail like they have it out for Tinker. Imagine a world where the jordan 1-7 release. Out of those 7, 1 is retroed 4 years after being released. Then 3 more are retroed 6 years later. 20 years pass and when it's all said and done, you have 3 models never seeing the light of day. And of the 4 that have released, the number of non OG colorways outweighs the OG colors 8 to 1.

I don't think any genre could succeed given the immediate past.

But if retros like the carnivore, griffey 1, griffey 2, and even  the Nomos can release and do okay numbers, any of these other 50 have an okay shot at moderate success. Give these shoes a chance to succeed. (Auburn SC trainers had a retro launch in September. Flashy white and orange sneakers for the fall?? No way. Everyone and their mother knows they shouldve released with a stronger launch date, preferably in the mid spring. But I guess that's just another excuse I have that comes with being a trainer fan.

I can go on about retros like the DT max 96 and the reason those flopped. But it's beginning to sound like a broken record

Back
Top Bottom