48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by akuratl02

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

im saying 2...i know the PHD, rocket scientist, and UCLA math whiz all say 288...but i think it's 2 based off how im interpreting they way the problem is written
But I'm sayin' though ....

How come everybody that states (2) has a grammar problem?

tacking on an extra letter isn't a grammar problem...it's a typo

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

I got 288.

This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank).

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)

why's this thread 27 pages?
Because people don't know basic math. Throwing in brackets and parentheses, treating multiplication like exponents, and completely misunderstanding the order of operations.

Originally Posted by akuratl02

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

im saying 2...i know the PHD, rocket scientist, and UCLA math whiz all say 288...but i think it's 2 based off how im interpreting they way the problem is written
But I'm sayin' though ....

How come everybody that states (2) has a grammar problem?

tacking on an extra letter isn't a grammar problem...it's a typo

P: Parenthesis first
E: Exponents next
MD: Multiplication and Division next
AS: Addition and Subtraction last

Notice that the M and D are grouped together, as are the A and S. This is because Multiplication and Division are at the same priority level, and should be done in left to right order. Likewise, Addition and Subtraction are at the same priority level, and should be done in left to right order. 

Unfortunately, many teachers don’t realize this, and teach that all multiplication is done before all division, and all addition is done before all subtraction. I was taught that way all through elementary school, and it wasn’t until I hit Jr/Sr high that I found out that Multiplication and Division are at the same priority level, as are Addition and Subtraction

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

"P". 48/ 2(9 plus 3). Paranthesis first! 48/ 2(12)
"M". 48/ 24. Multiplication is next.
"D". 2 is the answer.

We all agreed to add the 9 plus 3 first. If the question was 48/ 2(12). Why would one do the division before the multiplication.

Because once you get to the step you work from left to right.

I got 288.

This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank).

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)

that is where all of you are wrong
48/2(12) is 2, not 288....

I got 288.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)

if that's the case, why did you divide 48 by 2 before you got rid of that parenthesis?

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

"P". 48/ 2(9 plus 3). Paranthesis first! 48/ 2(12)
"M". 48/ 24. Multiplication is next.
"D". 2 is the answer.

We all agreed to add the 9 plus 3 first. If the question was 48/ 2(12). Why would one do the division before the multiplication.

Because once you get to the step you work from left to right.

I got 288.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)

if that's the case, why did you divide 48 by 2 before you got rid of that parenthesis?

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by UbUiBeMe

I teach high school math and the discussion in here is pretty funny.
laugh.gif

Multiply OR Divide LEFT to RIGHT and both rank equally meaning you don't have to multiply first because it comes first in PEMDAS!
roll.gif
. Keyword is "OR."

You don't multiply the 2 just because of distribution. It will always be LEFT to RIGHT!
But you would agree you have to solve for the parentheses, which means the 2 gets distributed, right?
Did you disregard what he just said? There is no variable therefore distribution does not occur. it is left to right....

Yo my dude does NOT want to accept the truth...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Fam, stop with the distribution...it doesn't apply...damnnnn...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by snakeyes17

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by UbUiBeMe

I teach high school math and the discussion in here is pretty funny.
laugh.gif

Multiply OR Divide LEFT to RIGHT and both rank equally meaning you don't have to multiply first because it comes first in PEMDAS!
roll.gif
. Keyword is "OR."

You don't multiply the 2 just because of distribution. It will always be LEFT to RIGHT!
But you would agree you have to solve for the parentheses, which means the 2 gets distributed, right?
Did you disregard what he just said? There is no variable therefore distribution does not occur. it is left to right....

Yo my dude does NOT want to accept the truth...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Fam, stop with the distribution...it doesn't apply...damnnnn...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I got 288.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)

that is where all of you are wrong
48/2(12) is 2, not 288....

Originally Posted by do work son

I got 288.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)

roll.gif

i see why it's 27+ pages now with people like you on NT

I got 288.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)

roll.gif

i see why it's 27+ pages now with people like you on NT

I got 288.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)

Got rid of the parentheses? The parentheses indicate a priority WITHIN them. You can have them in the problem and proceed as they indicate multiplication.
It can still be there and not be the highest priority, it is what is within the ( ) that needs the priority.
Originally Posted by TwoSickJays

i didn't read this whole thread, but please tell me that someone at least mentioned the distributive property.
Oh they sure did. But....there's no variables
indifferent.gif

I got 288.

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)

Got rid of the parentheses? The parentheses indicate a priority WITHIN them. You can have them in the problem and proceed as they indicate multiplication.
It can still be there and not be the highest priority, it is what is within the ( ) that needs the priority.
Originally Posted by TwoSickJays

i didn't read this whole thread, but please tell me that someone at least mentioned the distributive property.
Oh they sure did. But....there's no variables
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom