48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Originally Posted by UbUiBeMe

I teach high school math and the discussion in here is pretty funny.
laugh.gif

Multiply OR Divide LEFT to RIGHT and both rank equally meaning you don't have to multiply first because it comes first in PEMDAS!
roll.gif
. Keyword is "OR."

You don't multiply the 2 just because of distribution. It will always be LEFT to RIGHT!
But you would agree you have to solve for the parentheses, which means the 2 gets distributed, right?
Did you disregard what he just said? There is no variable therefore distribution does not occur. it is left to right....

Originally Posted by cguy610

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

Nope.     2(9+3)   is not equal to 2 x 1(9+3)

yet, this is one of your allies main arguments...

and for the record, they are 'equal to' each other...because both equal 24...however, you can't completely remove them from the rest of the equation.

-waystinthyme
When the 2 is next to the parentheses, it's like a variable.  So it's a part of the parenthesis. 

So 2(9+3)      2 is a variable
2 x 1(9+3)    1 is a variable attached to the parentheses

Yes, they are "equal" but it changes the equation. 

thanks for pointing that out...who's side are you on again?

so the original equation includes 2(9+3)...it DOES NOT include (2x1(9+3)).

using your own logic, 288 is the correct answer...you also just systematically disproved 'boys noise' main argument as well.

in both equations you listed...if you follow PEMDAS you'll come out with the correct answer. as you will in the original equation..

-waystinthyme

laugh.gif

Multiply OR Divide LEFT to RIGHT and both rank equally meaning you don't have to multiply first because it comes first in PEMDAS!
roll.gif
. Keyword is "OR."

You don't multiply the 2 just because of distribution. It will always be LEFT to RIGHT!
But you would agree you have to solve for the parentheses, which means the 2 gets distributed, right?
roll.gif
No. Once you consolidate the inside of the parentheses it simply becomes 48 divided by 2 x 12.

Originally Posted by ncmalko1

"P". 48/ 2(9 plus 3). Paranthesis first! 48/ 2(12)
"M". 48/ 24. Multiplication is next.
"D". 2 is the answer.

We all agreed to add the 9 plus 3 first. If the question was 48/ 2(12). Why would one do the division before the multiplication.

because as stated many times before in this thread, according to the order of operations you would work from left to right, completing whichever appears first (multiplication or division, not multiplication then division)
PE M(or)D A(or)S....

Nope.     2(9+3)   is not equal to 2 x 1(9+3)

and for the record, they are 'equal to' each other...because both equal 24...however, you can't completely remove them from the rest of the equation.

-waystinthyme
When the 2 is next to the parentheses, it's like a variable.  So it's a part of the parenthesis. 

using your own logic, 288 is the correct answer...you also just systematically disproved 'boys noise' main argument as well.

in both equations you listed...if you follow PEMDAS you'll come out with the correct answer. as you will in the original equation..

-waystinthyme

laugh.gif

roll.gif
. Keyword is "OR."

roll.gif
No. Once you consolidate the inside of the parentheses it simply becomes 48 divided by 2 x 12.

"D". 2 is the answer.

We all agreed to add the 9 plus 3 first. If the question was 48/ 2(12). Why would one do the division before the multiplication.

because as stated many times before in this thread, according to the order of operations you would work from left to right, completing whichever appears first (multiplication or division, not multiplication then division)
PE M(or)D A(or)S....

-waystinthyme

-waystinthyme

laugh.gif
Hold up man.  I swear you always trying to put words in my mouth.  All I meant was that it equaled 24, it still changes the equation so technically it's not equal, it just adds to 24 when you take it out of the original equation, thus rendering all previous assertions null

-waystinthyme

-waystinthyme

laugh.gif
Hold up man.  I swear you always trying to put words in my mouth.  All I meant was that it equaled 24, it still changes the equation so technically it's not equal, it just adds to 24 when you take it out of the original equation, thus rendering all previous assertions null

"D". 2 is the answer.

in PEMDAS

multiplication and division have the same priority (so you go from left to right)

addition and subtraction also have the same priority (so you go from left to right)

solve the following problem: 3 + 6 - 7 - 8 + 4

using PEMDAS with your logic, addition would come before subtraction...

giving you:

9 - 7 - 12 = -14 instead of the correct answer which is 9 - 7 - 8 + 4 = -2

do you see the error in your ways?

-waystinthyme

"D". 2 is the answer.

in PEMDAS

multiplication and division have the same priority (so you go from left to right)

addition and subtraction also have the same priority (so you go from left to right)

solve the following problem: 3 + 6 - 7 - 8 + 4

using PEMDAS with your logic, addition would come before subtraction...

giving you:

9 - 7 - 12 = -14 instead of the correct answer which is 9 - 7 - 8 + 4 = -2

do you see the error in your ways?

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by Mo Greene

I got 288.

This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank).

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops.htm

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
24(12)

why's this thread 27 pages?
Because people don't know basic math. Throwing in brackets and parentheses, treating multiplication like exponents, and completely misunderstanding the order of operations.

P: Parenthesis first
E: Exponents next
MD: Multiplication and Division next
AS: Addition and Subtraction last

Notice that the M and D are grouped together, as are the A and S. This is because Multiplication and Division are at the same priority level, and should be done in left to right order. Likewise, Addition and Subtraction are at the same priority level, and should be done in left to right order. 

Unfortunately, many teachers don’t realize this, and teach that all multiplication is done before all division, and all addition is done before all subtraction. I was taught that way all through elementary school, and it wasn’t until I hit Jr/Sr high that I found out that Multiplication and Division are at the same priority level, as are Addition and Subtraction

Back
Top Bottom