laugh.gif

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by Rocky437

You Idiots, the answer is 2.

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=
How you adding brackets, though? Not saying the answer is wrong, but I don't see brackets in the OG equation.
I think he added those for comprehension of the equation. they aren't part of the equation, they're just highlighters to let you know where he's doing his solving. 

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=
How you adding brackets, though? Not saying the answer is wrong, but I don't see brackets in the OG equation.
I think he added those for comprehension of the equation. they aren't part of the equation, they're just highlighters to let you know where he's doing his solving. 

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=
Brackets are implied. Some of us smart people include them to create a visual aide for the slow folks.

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=
Brackets are implied. Some of us smart people include them to create a visual aide for the slow folks.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

That's not necessarily true. Distribution is only making a(b+c) = ab + ac. Not going a step further and finding the sum.
laugh.gif

i dont know what else to tell you. you're reading the chart too literally. the only reason it doesnt go further is because there is nothing left to do in the example they provided. if there was another part of the equation in the example, you would combine before moving forward.
Word?

Taken from Wikipedia:

Given a set S and two binary operations · and + on S, we say that the operation ·

is left-distributive over + if, given any elements x, y, and z of S,
x · (y + z) = (x · y) + (x · z);

is right-distributive over + if, given any elements x, y, and z of S:
(y + z) · x = (y · x) + (z · x);

is distributive over + if it is both left- and right-distributive.
Notice that when · is commutative, then the three above conditions are logically equivalent.

They didn't combine anything or leave them in parenthesis.
nerd.gif

wait wait wait, you didn't just quote wikipedia did you?

Spoiler [+]

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

That's not necessarily true. Distribution is only making a(b+c) = ab + ac. Not going a step further and finding the sum.
laugh.gif

i dont know what else to tell you. you're reading the chart too literally. the only reason it doesnt go further is because there is nothing left to do in the example they provided. if there was another part of the equation in the example, you would combine before moving forward.
Word?

Taken from Wikipedia:

Given a set S and two binary operations · and + on S, we say that the operation ·

is left-distributive over + if, given any elements x, y, and z of S,
x · (y + z) = (x · y) + (x · z);

is right-distributive over + if, given any elements x, y, and z of S:
(y + z) · x = (y · x) + (z · x);

is distributive over + if it is both left- and right-distributive.
Notice that when · is commutative, then the three above conditions are logically equivalent.

They didn't combine anything or leave them in parenthesis.
nerd.gif

wait wait wait, you didn't just quote wikipedia did you?

Spoiler [+]

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

READ THIS

Jesus Christ people get your math game up.

Answer is 2
you are assuming the problem is 48 divided by 2 times the solution of 9 and 3. It is actually 48 divided by 2 times the solution of 9+3 the way it is written in the calculator.
There is no assumption. That is just how you solve the problem if you follow the distributive property. If you ignore the distributive property, you can get 288.
So you saying you cant distribute a fraction? Without parentheses you cant assume just 2 is the distribution. If you distribute 48/2 you get 288.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

READ THIS

Jesus Christ people get your math game up.

Answer is 2
you are assuming the problem is 48 divided by 2 times the solution of 9 and 3. It is actually 48 divided by 2 times the solution of 9+3 the way it is written in the calculator.
There is no assumption. That is just how you solve the problem if you follow the distributive property. If you ignore the distributive property, you can get 288.
So you saying you cant distribute a fraction? Without parentheses you cant assume just 2 is the distribution. If you distribute 48/2 you get 288.

Originally Posted by hella handsome

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=
yea

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

Originally Posted by McRaptor

Why did the other topic get locked?

The answer is 288

i would love the answer to this question...pretty sure i didn't break any rules.

http://niketalk.com/topic/294651 
30t6p3b.gif

-waystinthyme

It was locked cause a mod didn't read it but decided to lock it thinking it was homework. yet lol didn't read posts are the problem.
laugh.gif

The answer is 2. Parenthesis first and you must resolve it together like others have said, why would you do it any other way, you must get rid of the parenthesis first.

Originally Posted by hella handsome

48/2(9+3)=
48/[2(9+3)]=
48/[18+6]=
48/24=
yea

Originally Posted by McRaptor

Why did the other topic get locked?

The answer is 288

i would love the answer to this question...pretty sure i didn't break any rules.

http://niketalk.com/topic/294651 
30t6p3b.gif

-waystinthyme

It was locked cause a mod didn't read it but decided to lock it thinking it was homework. yet lol didn't read posts are the problem.
laugh.gif

The answer is 2. Parenthesis first and you must resolve it together like others have said, why would you do it any other way, you must get rid of the parenthesis first.

the original problem is: 48÷2(9+3)

the confusion comes in, because people try to rewrite the equation as 48/2(9+3), which can be misinterpreted as 48 in the numerator divided by 2(9+3) in the denominator, which then gives you an answer of 2.

as written (in the original problem), the answer is undeniably 288.

for those who think the answer is 2, please answer this equation:

48/2(6+2)+5+3+4

Spoiler [+]
by the logic you used to get 2 (you assumed that everything behind the / -- in your rewritten interpretation of the original equation -- was in the denominator) your answer to the above question would be 1. the correct answer to the problem above is 300...just as the correct answer to the original problem is 288.

-waystinthyme
Again, it's not an assumption that everything behind the / is the denominator. If you follow the distributive property, you simply can not divide 48 by 2 first. You MUST resolve 2(9 + 3) first.
and to answer your equation:

48 / 2(6 + 2) + 5 + 3 + 4 = 48 / (12 + 4) + 5 + 3 + 4

= 48 / 16 + 5 + 3 + 4

= 3 + 5 + 3 + 4

= 15

Not 300.

48÷2 = 48 
                ---- correct?

so why doesn't 48÷2(9+3) = 48
                                                 ----- (3+9)

what us 288's don't understand is how you can assume...from the ORIGINAL EQUATION, that only the 2 and not the 48÷2 is outside of the parentheses?

if you want to use the distributive property, then distribute the 48÷2...

48÷2(3) + 48÷2(9) = 24(3) + 24(9) = 72 + 216 = 288

or 48÷2(12) = 24(2) = 288

either way the answer is the same...

-waystinthyme

the original problem is: 48÷2(9+3)

the confusion comes in, because people try to rewrite the equation as 48/2(9+3), which can be misinterpreted as 48 in the numerator divided by 2(9+3) in the denominator, which then gives you an answer of 2.

as written (in the original problem), the answer is undeniably 288.

for those who think the answer is 2, please answer this equation:

48/2(6+2)+5+3+4

Spoiler [+]
by the logic you used to get 2 (you assumed that everything behind the / -- in your rewritten interpretation of the original equation -- was in the denominator) your answer to the above question would be 1. the correct answer to the problem above is 300...just as the correct answer to the original problem is 288.

-waystinthyme
Again, it's not an assumption that everything behind the / is the denominator. If you follow the distributive property, you simply can not divide 48 by 2 first. You MUST resolve 2(9 + 3) first.
and to answer your equation:

48 / 2(6 + 2) + 5 + 3 + 4 = 48 / (12 + 4) + 5 + 3 + 4

= 48 / 16 + 5 + 3 + 4

= 3 + 5 + 3 + 4

= 15

Not 300.

48÷2 = 48 
                ---- correct?

so why doesn't 48÷2(9+3) = 48
                                                 ----- (3+9)

what us 288's don't understand is how you can assume...from the ORIGINAL EQUATION, that only the 2 and not the 48÷2 is outside of the parentheses?

if you want to use the distributive property, then distribute the 48÷2...

48÷2(3) + 48÷2(9) = 24(3) + 24(9) = 72 + 216 = 288

or 48÷2(12) = 24(2) = 288

either way the answer is the same...

-waystinthyme

Take it the way it's written. Not assuming anything, you do parentheses first, then multiplication, then division. Simple... you imbeciles
indifferent.gif

Take it the way it's written. Not assuming anything, you do parentheses first, then multiplication, then division. Simple... you imbeciles
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom