48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by do work son

show me how you solved the problem step by step.
48/ 2(9+3)
48/ 2(12)
48/24
You are assuming the problem is 48 divided by the solution of 2 and 9 plus 3. The problem is actually 48 divided by 2 multiplied by (9 plus 3)
you are assuming the problem is 48 divided by 2 multiplied by (9 plus 3). the problem is actually 48 divided by the solution of 2 and 9 plus 3.

Spoiler [+]
its unclear which way the problem is really written because its difficult to interpret what whoever typed this is really looking for. this thread wouldn't be 15 pages if someone just wrote it out the first time so we really knew

48/ 2(9+3)
48/ 2(12)
48/24
You are assuming the problem is 48 divided by the solution of 2 and 9 plus 3. The problem is actually 48 divided by 2 multiplied by (9 plus 3)
you are assuming the problem is 48 divided by 2 multiplied by (9 plus 3). the problem is actually 48 divided by the solution of 2 and 9 plus 3.

Spoiler [+]
its unclear which way the problem is really written because its difficult to interpret what whoever typed this is really looking for. this thread wouldn't be 15 pages if someone just wrote it out the first time so we really knew

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

If I'm to go by this chart, after the parenthetical is distributed, it no longer is a parenthetical, but two separate monomials.

properties_operations_ids.gif

Show me where I ignored the point of the parenthesis.

what you did was distribute to get 48/18+6

basically, you halfway distributed. you have to complete the 18+6 then divide 48/24 because the 18+6 was derived from the parenthesis step in PEMDAS. you have to completely finish the parenthesis step to move on.
If I complete the 18 + 6 am I not adding, which occurs later in the order of operations. Since the parenthesis was removed when I whole way distributed, we then move on to dividing and then adding.

If the parenthesis remains after distribution, then this is all a moot point and the answer is 2.
you didn't whole way distribute until you combine 18 and 6

now whether or not to distribute, that's the question. our whole debate is do you distribute before doing 48/2 or after

If I'm to go by this chart, after the parenthetical is distributed, it no longer is a parenthetical, but two separate monomials.

basically, you halfway distributed. you have to complete the 18+6 then divide 48/24 because the 18+6 was derived from the parenthesis step in PEMDAS. you have to completely finish the parenthesis step to move on.
If I complete the 18 + 6 am I not adding, which occurs later in the order of operations. Since the parenthesis was removed when I whole way distributed, we then move on to dividing and then adding.

If the parenthesis remains after distribution, then this is all a moot point and the answer is 2.

now whether or not to distribute, that's the question. our whole debate is do you distribute before doing 48/2 or after

the parenthesis doesn't just go away. after you distribute, you have to simplify the terms from the distribution. after that, then the parenthesis goes away.

48/ (18+6)
48/ 24

the parenthesis doesn't just go away. after you distribute, you have to simplify the terms from the distribution. after that, then the parenthesis goes away.

48/ (18+6)
48/ 24

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

The answer is 2.

BB was going wild with this, Neogaf is also.

Also- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110408055505AA0F9In
[h2]Best Answer - Chosen by Asker[/h2]
Distributive property of multiplication over addition. Early Algebra problem.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2*9+2*3). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it. You do NOT compute this expression from left to right until you use Algebra to simplify the statement 2(9+3).

So this can be rewritten as:
48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 * (9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (2*9+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.
  • Edited 5 hours ago

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26993361&postcount=1030

READ THIS

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up.
Jesus Christ people get your math game up.

Answer is 2

you are assuming the problem is 488 divided by 2 times the solution of 9 and 3. It is actually 48 divided by 2 times the solution of 9+3 the way it is written in the calculator.

the original problem is: 48÷2(9+3)

the confusion comes in, because people try to rewrite the equation as 48/2(9+3), which can be misinterpreted as 48 in the numerator divided by 2(9+3) in the denominator, which then gives you an answer of 2.

as written (in the original problem), the answer is undeniably 288.

for those who think the answer is 2, please answer this equation:

48/2(6+2)+5+3+4

Spoiler [+]
by the logic you used to get 2 (you assumed that everything behind the / -- in your rewritten interpretation of the original equation -- was in the denominator) your answer to the above question would be 1. the correct answer to the problem above is 300...just as the correct answer to the original problem is 288.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

The answer is 2.

BB was going wild with this, Neogaf is also.

Also- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110408055505AA0F9In
[h2]Best Answer - Chosen by Asker[/h2]
Distributive property of multiplication over addition. Early Algebra problem.

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up. 2(9+3) follows the distributive property which can be rewritten as (2*9+2*3). Let me repeat the 2 outside of the parenthesis follows the distributive property of multiplication and must be factored and simplified before performing any other operations on it. You do NOT compute this expression from left to right until you use Algebra to simplify the statement 2(9+3).

So this can be rewritten as:
48 / (2*9 + 2*3)

Which leaves us with

48 / 24 = 2

Answer = 2.

Lastly for those using Google or any other online calculator. These do not understand many theorems or properties so you must explicitly explain what you mean. There is a difference between 48 / 2 * (9+3) and 48 / 2(9+3). The first notation reads 48 / 2 * 1(9+3) while the second reads 48 / (2*9+2*3). Be very careful with your signs.
  • Edited 5 hours ago

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26993361&postcount=1030

READ THIS

The distributive property of multiplication CLEARLY states that the 2(9+3) is an entire statement and CANNOT be broken up.
Jesus Christ people get your math game up.

Answer is 2

you are assuming the problem is 488 divided by 2 times the solution of 9 and 3. It is actually 48 divided by 2 times the solution of 9+3 the way it is written in the calculator.

the confusion comes in, because people try to rewrite the equation as 48/2(9+3), which can be misinterpreted as 48 in the numerator divided by 2(9+3) in the denominator, which then gives you an answer of 2.

for those who think the answer is 2, please answer this equation:

48/2(6+2)+5+3+4

Spoiler [+]
by the logic you used to get 2 (you assumed that everything behind the / -- in your rewritten interpretation of the original equation -- was in the denominator) your answer to the above question would be 1. the correct answer to the problem above is 300...just as the correct answer to the original problem is 288.

-waystinthyme

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

balloonoboy...thats just not how it works. what you do basically ignores the whole point of the parenthesis....

Dude you need to use the Quotient Property Rule for 48/2 before you distribute because there are no parentheses around "2(9+3)".
You cant multiply by just 2 because it is really 48*(1/2) 

That's not necessarily true. Distribution is only making a(b+c) = ab + ac. Not going a step further and finding the sum.

Either way, I'm right because I never said it was 288 - only 2 and 8.66667

That's not necessarily true. Distribution is only making a(b+c) = ab + ac. Not going a step further and finding the sum.

Either way, I'm right because I never said it was 288 - only 2 and 8.66667

balloonoboy...thats just not how it works. what you do basically ignores the whole point of the parenthesis....

Dude you need to use the Quotient Property Rule for 48/2 before you distribute because there are no parentheses around "2(9+3)".
You cant multiply by just 2 because it is really 48*(1/2) 

Hmmm, if you sub in X for any of the #'s and have it = 2, it will work. Have it equal 288? Not so much
nerd.gif

Hmmm, if you sub in X for any of the #'s and have it = 2, it will work. Have it equal 288? Not so much
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

-waystinthyme
why wouldn't they just type it up as (48÷2)(9+3) then?

it's a poorly written problem.

smh at NT'ers, almost getting me to the 50 post count limit on a middle school math problem
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

-waystinthyme
why wouldn't they just type it up as (48÷2)(9+3) then?

it's a poorly written problem.

smh at NT'ers, almost getting me to the 50 post count limit on a middle school math problem
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

i dont know what else to tell you. you're reading the chart too literally. the only reason it doesnt go further is because there is nothing left to do in the example they provided. if there was another part of the equation in the example, you would combine before moving forward.

laugh.gif

i dont know what else to tell you. you're reading the chart too literally. the only reason it doesnt go further is because there is nothing left to do in the example they provided. if there was another part of the equation in the example, you would combine before moving forward.

48/ 2(9+3)
48/ 2(12)
48/24
Where is the multiplication symbol that proves your so-called "actual" version is correct?

48/ 2(9+3)
48/ 2(12)
48/24
Where is the multiplication symbol that proves your so-called "actual" version is correct?

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

48/ 2(9+3)
48/ 2(12)
48/24
Does 2(12) not equal 2*12?

Back
Top Bottom