48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

The distributive property does not apply! Why is that so hard to understand???
30t6p3b.gif
tell me why.

because its a only a property of PEMDAS, not a rule, especially not a rule that should be able conflict with it

PEMD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AS

notice the emphasis placement above

48 - 2(9+3).... the concept of distribution is applicable because multiplication overrules subtraction

48 + 2(9+3).... the concept of distribution is applicable because multiplication overrules addition

48 ÷ 2(9+3) .... the concept of distribution is NOT applicable because multiplication DOES NOT overrule division.... LEFT TO RIGHT

its like people fail to comprehend that distribution is not external of order-of-operations,

distribution is only applicable when there is: an addition sign, subtraction sign, or nothing in front of the outside multiplier ------- in this case we have a division sign in which case LEFT TO RIGHT takes precedence

30t6p3b.gif
tell me why.

because its a only a property of PEMDAS, not a rule, especially not a rule that should be able conflict with it

48 - 2(9+3).... the concept of distribution is applicable because multiplication overrules subtraction

48 + 2(9+3).... the concept of distribution is applicable because multiplication overrules addition

48 ÷ 2(9+3) .... the concept of distribution is NOT applicable because multiplication DOES NOT overrule division.... LEFT TO RIGHT

its like people fail to comprehend that distribution is not external of order-of-operations,

distribution is only applicable when there is: an addition sign, subtraction sign, or nothing in front of the outside multiplier ------- in this case we have a division sign in which case LEFT TO RIGHT takes precedence

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

30t6p3b.gif

how else are you supposed to explain pots of gold at the end of rainbows without leprechauns?

Word. Next Team 2 is probably gonna go all out and explain to us Santa is real...
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

"But, but, what about the kids all over the world expecting toys?!"
30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif

how else are you supposed to explain pots of gold at the end of rainbows without leprechauns?

Word. Next Team 2 is probably gonna go all out and explain to us Santa is real...
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

"But, but, what about the kids all over the world expecting toys?!"
30t6p3b.gif

I think it is 2. I been out of school for awhile, dont care to go back over what everyone said, I'm just wondering if its just different people teaching it. The way I learned would give me 2, but people learn different ways or are taught different ways. 93 pages, is just crazy. Agree to disagree.

I think it is 2. I been out of school for awhile, dont care to go back over what everyone said, I'm just wondering if its just different people teaching it. The way I learned would give me 2, but people learn different ways or are taught different ways. 93 pages, is just crazy. Agree to disagree.

All Team 2 has to argue is the Distributive Property, a rule that only applies to equations with variables.
We tried explaining the Order of Operations to them and they still don't get it.
We tried explaining the Distributive Property and they still don't get it.
After reasoning, they STILL try to argue the Distributive Property.
There's no getting to them.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

All Team 2 has to argue is the Distributive Property, a rule that only applies to equations with variables.
We tried explaining the Order of Operations to them and they still don't get it.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Distributive property does not only apply to variables 

a / b x (c - d) =/= a / b(c-d)

replace those with numbers if you want

I am sure the multiplication sign (whether * or X) indicates multiplication is done but if there is no sign it means that the variable or number was clearly factored out.

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Distributive property does not only apply to variables 

a / b x (c - d) =/= a / b(c-d)

replace those with numbers if you want

I am sure the multiplication sign (whether * or X) indicates multiplication is done but if there is no sign it means that the variable or number was clearly factored out.

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

are you saying 2(2-1) cant be distributed to get (4-2)?

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by do work son

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Technically it would be distributed to (4) - (2)

still waiting for your response to the examples i posted though...

30t6p3b.gif
tell me why.

excellent post. people are forgetting that when u distribute, u dont only distribute the number but also the sign in front of it. how do u distribute Ã·2?

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
tell me why.

excellent post. people are forgetting that when u distribute, u dont only distribute the number but also the sign in front of it. how do u distribute Ã·2?

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I've asked what examples twice now. What page you posted it on or just tell me which ones in the PDF

Back
Top Bottom