40k salary for a job you like or 100k for a job you don't like?

750 a week or 1900 a week? I'll just have to be miserable at work and stack, it's only 8 hours a day.

While I understand where your mom is coming from, it was easier to find jobs in the 70s and 80s or even in the 60s as I don't know how old your mom is. We literally are getting paid less (relative to the cost of living and our cost of education) than they were. We really are disadvantaged compared to the older generation. Not to mention we are priced out of buying a house in a city like NYC or San Fran because there are speculative buyers from outside countries. Our parents didn't have to deal with such issues.

True but that is why she hates the younger generation even more. Things are so pricey as is, why put your money into a thing that has no return. [COLOR=#red]For example, my girl wants a $20K wedding ring[/COLOR]. It's something that women now a days are asking for when back in the days, a wedding ring used to cost like $1000 or so. Although I agree with my mom that the ring is a bad investment, it is hard to argue that with someone (my girl) that is surrounded by nothing but expensive tasting s-heads that all have gotten 20-50K rings. And it's not even just rings. We are a generation that loves shoes, cars, clothing, etc. None of which was that important to the older generation. But even with all that, kids still want some sort of freedom in their work and would sacrifice all those material needs to even just get sanity in the work field. A part of me gets it but its all got to change at some point.

Please don't give in to that.

I don't care how much you make, spending 20k on a ring is foolish.

Please, please, please don't give into that.

Haven't read a single reply in this 10 page thread. I dont need to. what a joke.

People love to take the "I'd rather be happy" cop out....oh please. six figures opens up any avenue you'd ever imagine. Making Six figures Means you can afford just abiut any luxury car AND Luxury Housing you want, with plenty of fun money leftover. Vs choosing the option of 40 where you'd probably struggle with basic life expenses.

Money CAN buy happiness, and anybody who says it can't us full of dog ****. PERIOD.

As far as money can buy happiness :lol:

No

Happiness is the wrong word. Money can a calm of mind I feel. A person who can meet all his financial obligations and can also afford to just get away as he/she feels/needs is in a better mental state than someone who is struggling paycheck to paycheck or worse yet, meal to meal.

I really don't know if it can buy you happiness, but I sure as hell would like to find out for myself. I don't have plans of starting a family and marrying and such, my goal is to get power and money. I believe by achieving my many goals I will be happy.

Isn't that easier said than done?
If you're doing something you love and it's your passion, the money will fall to your lap. Other wise your ceiling is limited. You're bound to excel at a higher pace if you're doing something you love. You'll be the one going to work first and leaving last. And icing on the cake is you'll be getting paid for something you like doing so to me that's not work

HB post that hit me (worth reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I've been spending years chasing money. And I can tell you that it sucks. When you chase money, no matter how much money you make, it's just never enough and work is unsatisfying. The stuff I buy makes me happy. Vacations make me happy. But I still have to dedicate 10 hours per day or more to a career that I'm not truly enjoying. I even looked down the line to how much more I would be making if I stick with it, and it still didn't make me happy. The vacations come once or twice a year. The material possessions lose their lustre. After a while dining out all the time feels like a waste of time and money. And even though those things are nice to have, I have to sacrifice 10 hours per day, 5 days a week to do something I don't care about just so I can have 3 hours per week night to myself and weekends to do things I enjoy. That's a LOT of time to give up just for money.

At this point in my life, I realize how valuable time is. I can always make more money, but I can't make more time. And giving up 10 hours a day on something that you don't enjoy just kind of slowly drains you.

Don't get me wrong, money is great. I love money. But I know that I'd be happier making less money if I were doing something I honestly enjoyed. Matter fact, I remember back when I was making less and doing what I loved and I was happier.

Pardon the rant. Just tryina warn y'all. Don't pursue a career for the dough. Pursue something that will make you happy. Take it from an old dude.

Heavily depends on where you live.. In my city 40K is getting you an affordable high-tier apartment and more then enough to handle every other expense with plenty left over.

You're not going to be whipping a Benz or an M4, but you most definitely won't be driving a bucket. Just a flamboyant status symbol anyways.

This is as a single person.

Where do you live that 40K will get you a high end apartment and still money left over? Thats like 28K after taxes. Lol that's crazy i was making more than 40K as an intern. I would have been a boss there.

It'll be way more than 8 hours a day for 100k job so you'll be miserable way longer

Why do you believe 100K = 50-60hr weeks? That is not the case

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm reading that correctly.

$40k gets you a high-tier apartment and is enough for anywhere in the country? Please give examples.

I'm not sure if I'm reading that correctly.

$40k gets you a high-tier apartment and is enough for anywhere in the country? Please give examples.

Lol I'm wondering the same thing. Anywhere must mean wherever the cost of living is dirt cheap.

40K a year is barely making it.. you may be happy at work, but 40K ain't gonna keep you happy for long.

And when I clock out *Big Sean Voice* "I DONT **** WITH YOUU"

Make them racks and take care of my fam, then use that experience to step out into new opportunities.

I mean ****, how many of us start off at a job we "like" or "love" anyway?

I'll work that frustrating 100k job for a couple years then bounce when I found something better.

I'd rather negotiate new salaries starting over 100k rather than over 40k..
The federal government would like to have a word with you two :lol:

Word!

$40k a year in a high tier apartment?! I wish, not here in the bay area.
I'm sure he wasn't talking about areas in the bay or anywhere in Socal, where I'm from. I have a cousin whole lives outside Kansas City who I know is making about 40K. Married and his wife works part-time. I've seen pictures of his apartment. An apartment like his out here in Socal would easily cost $2000$ a month.

Heavily depends on where you live.. In my city 40K is getting you an affordable high-tier apartment and more then enough to handle every other expense with plenty left over.

You're not going to be whipping a Benz or an M4, but you most definitely won't be driving a bucket. Just a flamboyant status symbol anyways.

This is as a single person.

Where do you live that 40K will get you a high end apartment and still money left over? Thats like 28K after taxes. Lol that's crazy i was making more than 40K as an intern. I would have been a boss there.

It'll be way more than 8 hours a day for 100k job so you'll be miserable way longer

Why do you believe 100K = 50-60hr weeks? That is not the case

Right? I know plenty of people in the $100k-$200k range who do not work 8 hours a day (continuous or total).

I think some folks are just ok with mediocrity, so they fool themselves into thinking when you break a certain income barrier the work instantly becomes overbearing, and you won't enjoy it. No one in particular, just a wide observation off NT. They try to project their fear of flying onto society at large. You can enjoy your work and make six figures, even moreso with removing the stresses even the 40k income level bring. There's a reason the root of so many divorces is financial trouble.

Last edited:
^^^^True. This whole talk about people making a 100K with no life is really just a broad statement. It's not specific to everyone or even an overwhelming majority. You are right though. Some jobs that pay more actually requires less work. I know some managers that come in late to work, use their company cards for many things and leave whenever they want without doing any hands on work at all except talk to clients over the phone. It beats coming into work and creating nothing but files for 40K and getting yelled at by your manager for coming in 5 minutes late. But again, that is a bad example cause that is a 40K job that I hated. Probably might feel different if it is something I love.

The original topic is 100k job you don't like and 40k job you like tho so forget about the scenario of 100k job you enjoy

I think some folks are just ok with mediocrity, so they fool themselves into thinking when you break a certain income barrier the work instantly becomes overbearing, and you won't enjoy it. No one in particular, just a wide observation off NT. They try to project their fear of flying onto society at large. You can enjoy your work and make six figures, even moreso with removing the stresses even the 40k income level bring. There's a reason the root of so many divorces is financial trouble.
Agreed most people are completely content with being average in all aspects of life, as long as they are surviving its fine. Dude that keeps saying more money = more work hours must have been preached that as a kid or something.  Trust me more money does not always mean more work, word to all managers. They get paid the most and do the least amount of work, this applies to all fields.

Interesting thread.
I've been in both situations. Currently in a 100k job I hate. It allows me to provide a quality of life for my family that I wouldn't be able to otherwise.
I am also going to retire no later than 55 years old (will be eligible at 51 but will pad the retirement a little more.

True but that is why she hates the younger generation even more. Things are so pricey as is, why put your money into a thing that has no return. For example, my girl wants a $20K wedding ring. It's something that women now a days are asking for when back in the days, a wedding ring used to cost like $1000 or so. Although I agree with my mom that the ring is a bad investment, it is hard to argue that with someone (my girl) that is surrounded by nothing but expensive tasting s-heads that all have gotten 20-50K rings. And it's not even just rings. We are a generation that loves shoes, cars, clothing, etc. None of which was that important to the older generation. But even with all that, kids still want some sort of freedom in their work and would sacrifice all those material needs to even just get sanity in the work field. A part of me gets it but its all got to change at some point.

better dump her now.

Back
Top Bottom