3D Printed Guns (Vice Doc)

I'm about to start doing some 3d printing in one of my classes, it's pretty :pimp:

View media item 331501
They may use different materials, but all involve the same basic approach for printing an object: spraying or otherwise transferring a substance in multiple layers onto a building surface, beginning with the bottom layer.

In it's current state it does have some limitations, size of printer and creating an object out of only one material when most consumer goods are made of many. In due time they will scale the printer to build massives stuctures like cars and planes to buildings and bridges.

This technology really is the future. It's crazy.

3D printing is really going to change society.

I'd like to know how much this costs for them. From what I remember, 3D printing and the materials used are ridiculously expensive. 

Also, why didn't they try to use finite element modeling to optimize their design? It seems more efficient than constantly remaking new parts that presumably cost a lot due to the need for strong materials.  

I'd just like to know is it just me or does that guy Cody Wilson come across as a ****head?

anyway good doc. I love watching vice videos

These things are way too expensive and extremely limited in the materials it can use..

These would be great for jewelery though.

Basically it scans whatever you want, it builds a model by stacking the materials in layers from the bottom to the top.

Thing is, it's super early. With the way technology progresses, this thing will be much more effective and cheaper in 5-10 years.

smokin.gif

i didnt watch the vid, but im confused. Ppl in here talkin about how this is gonna change the world like the items it prints actually works like the real thing.

Thing is, it's super early. With the way technology progresses, this thing will be much more effective and cheaper in 5-10 years.

this guy gets it.

its moreso the potential, and what is possible now, or in the very foreseeable future.

not just 3d guns, 3d everything.

soon:
in my living room 3D tv's printed from a 3d printer, watch other 3D tv's...
conceived from the same 3d printer.

acopyofacopyofacopy.

i didnt watch the vid, but im confused. .

perhaps watching the video will rid you of your confusion.

Ppl in here talkin about how this is gonna change the world like the items it prints actually works like the real thing.

basically.
its much deeper than guns, although thats probably one of the more provacative things that will be able to soon be made.

Basically, you fill the printer with a substance(plastic compound, human stem cells, any number of other things being developed right now), and from a 3-dimensional CAD design, a product is "constructed/printed" from the 3d printer to the exact specifications of the original 3-dimensional design.

you have to see it to really get an idea of how crazy this stuff is.

stem cells, replacement human organs, etc.. look it up.

Last edited:
A lot of people in here didn't watch the video. Dude is sending a message. Letting the government know that "you can't ban a box and spring".

At the end they show him shooting off over 600 rounds without a hiccup. And he got approved for a federal firearm license, but doesn't intend to sell them.

Lower receiver is the actual gun part.
The lower receiver is the only regulated part of the gun
A lot of people in here didn't watch the video. Dude is sending a message. Letting the government know that "you can't ban a box and spring".

At the end they show him shooting off over 600 rounds without a hiccup. And he got approved for a federal firearm license, but doesn't intend to sell them.

He couldn't sell them because when they fail he'd get sued for selling a gun part that isnt up to spec.

Last edited:
The lower receiver is the only regulated part of the gun
He couldn't sell them because when they fail he'd get sued for selling a gun part that isnt up to spec.
My bad forgot that was the only regulated part.I honestly wouldn't be suprised if their are plastics on the market capable of lasting as long as metal gun parts.if it becomes wildly available dudes could just swap out lower receivers constantly

No, he got a license to sell. Pretty sure he isn't selling them because he's not doing it for profit, he believes in free access. They showed at the very end that they made a lower that got a good amount of shots off without failure.

So much what is " right or wrong". He has his valid points, but I know that deep inside, he knows its somewhat wrong. Which is why he chooses not to sell these. I guess it helps him sleep at night.

Still :smokin , nonetheless.

His whole idea though is to keep the guns in the people's hands, so I don't see why he wouldn't WANT to mass produce and sell.

Back
Top Bottom