$355 MILLION: Mega Millions lottery jackpot second-biggest of all time

eek.gif
eek.gif

(&#$ just got real

This is how we do twice a week at my job. I'm involved in 3 different pools. I'm missing a sheet but altogether it was like $85 worth of tickets. This Tuesday I expect to go in about $150 worth. I'm salty because I honestly don't want to win this much money. I only want about $5,000,000 myself. It'll allow me to live comfortably and still have to work. I'm approaching this with a bit of humbleness. Here's the payouts of each of the pools I'm in:

***EDIT***
Jackpot: $290M
After taxes (40%): $182M
1st pool (10 of us): $18,200,000
2nd pool (15 of us): $12,130,000
3rd pool (23 of us): $7,910,000

i3idqw.jpg

And here's what a few of us got for the New Year's Raffle. These were $20 a pop. I still don't know if we won yet. Let me check right now in fact...
2hgb69e.jpg

^The picture got cut off but there's 3 of them...

This is how we do twice a week at my job. I'm involved in 3 different pools. I'm missing a sheet but altogether it was like $85 worth of tickets. This Tuesday I expect to go in about $150 worth. I'm salty because I honestly don't want to win this much money. I only want about $5,000,000 myself. It'll allow me to live comfortably and still have to work. I'm approaching this with a bit of humbleness. Here's the payouts of each of the pools I'm in:

***EDIT***
Jackpot: $290M
After taxes (40%): $182M
1st pool (10 of us): $18,200,000
2nd pool (15 of us): $12,130,000
3rd pool (23 of us): $7,910,000

i3idqw.jpg

And here's what a few of us got for the New Year's Raffle. These were $20 a pop. I still don't know if we won yet. Let me check right now in fact...
2hgb69e.jpg

^The picture got cut off but there's 3 of them...

Originally Posted by NavyBoy24

I think after taxes it is 182 mil
^That's more accurate. I usually just subtract 40% which would make it $174M. I forgot to subtract the $116M from the $290M in my first post LOL! I'm still coming around from last night...

^That's more accurate. I usually just subtract 40% which would make it $174M. I forgot to subtract the $116M from the $290M in my first post LOL! I'm still coming around from last night...

82 would be split between friends, family, charity and id be sitting on 100 for me! ALOTTTTTTTT of people would be taken care of if i ever won that jackpot!

First gift to myself would be a Condo in a high rise in Downtown chicago!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

82 would be split between friends, family, charity and id be sitting on 100 for me! ALOTTTTTTTT of people would be taken care of if i ever won that jackpot!

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

^Exactly what i was saying in my head..

I would keep 50 mil for myself(invest) and give away the rest to friends and family. Everyone will be eating.

^Exactly what i was saying in my head..

I would keep 50 mil for myself(invest) and give away the rest to friends and family. Everyone will be eating.

Originally Posted by CurtisCarter23

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
#1 way lottery winners go broke is they lose the will to say "No!" Trying to help everyone else out (which is definitely a good and noble thing to do) will get you in a hole in no time. I know you probably won't spend up the whole $100M but just in case you win a less amount in the future, no how to say "No!" or you will be broke.

If you're going to be playing the lotto, read this right quick:

1. Jack Whittaker won a record $314.9m Powerball jackpot in 2002.
But life since then has been a long list of arrests, lawsuits, broken relationships and even death. In 2007, his then wife, Jewell admitted she wished she had ‘torn up the ticket’.

2. William "Bud" Post won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania lottery in 1988.
He later described the experience as a ‘nightmare’ and wishes it had never happened – who can blame him after he was sued by a former girlfriend eager to get her hands on the cash and his brother hired a hitman in the hope of inheriting the winnings. He invested in ill-fated family businesses and within a year was $1m in debt. Today he gets by on social security payments. 

3. Luke Pittard from Wales won a ‘measly’ £1.3m on the National Lottery.
After the novelty had worn off and the obligatory lavish holiday, wedding and new home were done and dusted, he got bored and returned to work at MacDonalds. 

4. An as-yet-unnamed Sicilian won £79m on the Italian lottery in 2008.
Before he or she could even collect the winnings consumer groups were demanding that the windfall be seized by the government. The winner has since gone into hiding, fearing the Mafia will come calling. 

5. Janite Lee won $18 million in 1993.
Her generosity in giving money to a variety of political, educational and community causes was commendable – but just eight years later she filed for bankruptcy. 

6. Mark Gardiner from London won £11m in 1995.
Thirteen miserable years later, he hasn’t lost his money, but he has lost all his friends - even the ones he treated to new £100,000 homes – and lost touch with his family. 

7. Michael Carroll won a £9.7m National Lottery jackpot in 2002.
Since then he has appeared in court more than 30 times and been jailed for drug related offences. In 2008, he admitted that ‘just’ £500,000 of his windfall remained. 

8. Willie Hurt won $3.1 million in 1989.
Two years later the money was gone and he was on a murder charge. Hurt spent his fortune on a divorce and crack cocaine. 

9. Charles Riddle won $1 million in 1975.
The original lottery car crash, he quickly got divorced, faced several lawsuits and was eventually indicted for selling cocaine. 

10. Ken Proxmire won $1 million in the Michigan lottery.
He moved to California, and invested in a car business with his brothers. Five years later, he was bankrupt and back working as a machinist.

Read more: http://www.money.co.uk/article/1002...es-went-disasterously-wrong.htm#ixzz19o2Z9nDs

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
#1 way lottery winners go broke is they lose the will to say "No!" Trying to help everyone else out (which is definitely a good and noble thing to do) will get you in a hole in no time. I know you probably won't spend up the whole $100M but just in case you win a less amount in the future, no how to say "No!" or you will be broke.

1. Jack Whittaker won a record $314.9m Powerball jackpot in 2002.
But life since then has been a long list of arrests, lawsuits, broken relationships and even death. In 2007, his then wife, Jewell admitted she wished she had ‘torn up the ticket’.

2. William "Bud" Post won $16.2 million in the Pennsylvania lottery in 1988.
He later described the experience as a ‘nightmare’ and wishes it had never happened – who can blame him after he was sued by a former girlfriend eager to get her hands on the cash and his brother hired a hitman in the hope of inheriting the winnings. He invested in ill-fated family businesses and within a year was $1m in debt. Today he gets by on social security payments. 

3. Luke Pittard from Wales won a ‘measly’ £1.3m on the National Lottery.
After the novelty had worn off and the obligatory lavish holiday, wedding and new home were done and dusted, he got bored and returned to work at MacDonalds. 

4. An as-yet-unnamed Sicilian won £79m on the Italian lottery in 2008.
Before he or she could even collect the winnings consumer groups were demanding that the windfall be seized by the government. The winner has since gone into hiding, fearing the Mafia will come calling. 

5. Janite Lee won $18 million in 1993.
Her generosity in giving money to a variety of political, educational and community causes was commendable – but just eight years later she filed for bankruptcy. 

6. Mark Gardiner from London won £11m in 1995.
Thirteen miserable years later, he hasn’t lost his money, but he has lost all his friends - even the ones he treated to new £100,000 homes – and lost touch with his family. 

7. Michael Carroll won a £9.7m National Lottery jackpot in 2002.
Since then he has appeared in court more than 30 times and been jailed for drug related offences. In 2008, he admitted that ‘just’ £500,000 of his windfall remained. 

8. Willie Hurt won $3.1 million in 1989.
Two years later the money was gone and he was on a murder charge. Hurt spent his fortune on a divorce and crack cocaine. 

9. Charles Riddle won $1 million in 1975.
The original lottery car crash, he quickly got divorced, faced several lawsuits and was eventually indicted for selling cocaine. 

10. Ken Proxmire won $1 million in the Michigan lottery.
He moved to California, and invested in a car business with his brothers. Five years later, he was bankrupt and back working as a machinist.

Read more: http://www.money.co.uk/article/1002...es-went-disasterously-wrong.htm#ixzz19o2Z9nDs

Originally Posted by AirForce1King

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Youre a 100% right, but the way i see it... If i cant make 100 mill work for me, i dont deserve to have that money! Also...Im not the kind of guy who would buy 10 houses and 20 cars and S*** like that. Hell, my condo would probably be no more than a half a mill. At the most id prolly have 3 cars... A nice SUV for the chicago winters, An old school mustang for the summertime and a Mercedes as an everyday car.

Originally Posted by AirForce1King

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Youre a 100% right, but the way i see it... If i cant make 100 mill work for me, i dont deserve to have that money! Also...Im not the kind of guy who would buy 10 houses and 20 cars and S*** like that. Hell, my condo would probably be no more than a half a mill. At the most id prolly have 3 cars... A nice SUV for the chicago winters, An old school mustang for the summertime and a Mercedes as an everyday car.

This is the actual one I was looking for right here:

[h2]1. Callie Rogers - The teenager girl who spent all her money on clothes, parties and silicone[/h2]
a97101_g060_1-callie-rogers.jpg
Callie Rogers was once the world's luckiest teenager. At the tender age of 16, Ms. Rogers won £1.9million lottery. That was, at the time, about $3 million. Now it's all gone. The ecstatic girl spent her winnings on vacations, homes, shopping, friends, and even a couple of breast improvements. Six years and two attempts of suicide later, Rogers is a 22-year-old single mother of two. She now works as a maid to sustain herself and her family. She is paying off debt induced by her spending.

[h2]2. Janite Lee – The Missourian who gave away her money to politics, education and the community and ended up with nothing left[/h2]
a97101_g060_2-lee-reading-room.jpg
Sometimes, even good intentions can get wildly out of hand -- as was the case for Janite Lee, the 52-year-old woman, who landed an $18 million payout from the Missouri Lottery back in 1993. The South Korean immigrant immediately began to contribute chunks of her wealth to various educational programs, community services and political organizations. Besides the usual million-dollar house and cars, Lee reportedly donated more than $1 million to Washington University, where her namesake reading room commemorates the occasion. She reportedly donated $277,000 to Democratic political candidates, earning herself meals with Bill Clinton, Al Gore, and even the President of South Korea. She didn't stop there. $30,000 went to the family of a South Korean church pastor who passed away. The St. Louis Korean American Association received a house from her. Another Korean adoption-related association also benefited. Lee's philanthropy was expensive. But combined with her gambling habit—she lost $347,000 in a single year—bank loans, and credit card debt, it harkened disaster. She filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2001.

[h2] 3. "Jack" Whittaker Jr - The once biggest lottery winner who lost $114 million in four years [/h2]
a97101_g060_3-Andrew-jackson.jpg
On December 25, 2002, West Virginia building contractor Andrew Jackson "Jack" Whittaker Jr. won $315 million in the Powerball multi-state lottery, at that time the largest jackpot in history won by a single person. At the time, he was the president of a successful contracting firm called Diversified Enterprises Construction. 55-year-old Whittaker was living a successfully comfortable American life complete with a net worth of over one million dollars, a well rounded family, great job and healthy grandkids. After winning the prize, he famously pledged 10% of his winnings to various Christian charities and created the Jack Whittaker Foundation with another $14 million.

Whittaker did some good, but his bad deeds make his story. He was arrested twice, once for drunk driving and once for threatening a bar manager. A woman sued him after he groped her at a dog racetrack. Thieves took $545,000 in cash from Whittaker's car while he was visiting a strip club. About a year later, thieves again stole $200,000 from his car. Caesars Atlantic City sued him for bouncing $1.5 million in checks. His wife divorced him. Then, there were the dead bodies. In 2003, Whittaker's granddaughter's boyfriend was found dead of an overdose inside Whittaker's home. His 17-year-old granddaughter, whom he had been giving a $2,100 weekly allowance, fatally overdosed months later, at a different location. His daughter—mother of the dead granddaughter—died this year of as-yet-undetermined causes. When reached for comment, Whittaker, now with no family and no fortune, said "I wish I'd torn that ticket up."

[h2]4. Ken Proxmire – The machinist who won $1 million, went into car business and bankrupt in 4 years[/h2]
a97101_g060_4-michigan.jpg
Ken Proxmire was a machinist when he won $1 million in the Michigan lottery. He moved to California and went into the car business with his brothers. Within five years, he had filed for bankruptcy. "He was just a poor boy who got lucky and wanted to take care of everybody," explains Ken's son Rick. "It was a hell of a good ride for three or four years, but now he lives more simply. There's no more talk of owning a helicopter or riding in limos. We're just everyday folks. Dad's now back to work as a machinist," says his son.

[h2]5. Evelyn Adams – The woman won the lottery twice and now lives in a trailer[/h2]
a97101_g060_5-evelyn-adams.jpg
Everyone knows the odds of winning the lottery once are astronomical. But Evelyn Adams beat those odds -- twice. The New Jersey resident hit the jackpot in 1985 and 1986 to the sum of $5.4 million. But Adams was a heavy gambler. And with Atlantic City being located in New Jersey, it wasn't long before Adams had lost all her money. Twenty years later, Adams is broke and living in a trailer.

[h2]6. Jeffrey Dampier – The man who won 20 million in the lottery and was murdered by his greedy in-laws[/h2]
a97101_g060_6-jeffrey-dampier.jpg
Think your in-laws are a pain in the ++#? Consider the case of Jeffrey Dampier who won $20 million in the Illinois Lottery in 1986. Upon receiving his prize, the generous winner immediately began showering friends and family with expensive gifts, including cars, houses and trips to exotic places. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough for Dampier's sister-in-law, Victoria Jackson. On the night of July 26, 2005, Jackson and her boyfriend, Nathaniel Jackson (not related), kidnapped the millionaire and shot him once in the back of the head, killing him instantly -- jealousy was deemed the motive. Both were charged with Dampier's murder and sentenced to life in prison.

[h2]7. Suzanne Mullins – The woman who won $4.2 million and yet needed a loan to pay her bills[/h2]
a97101_g060_7-suzane2.jpg
Mullins won the lottery back in 1993 and opted for yearly payouts instead of a lump sum. She planned on splitting the 20 annual payments of $47,800 with her husband and daughter. However, within five years, she found herself in debt and used her future payouts as collateral for a $200,000 loan. Mullins later switched to a lump sum payout but never paid back her debts. The loan company filed suit and won judgment for a $154k settlement but they haven't collected anything because Mullins reportedly has no assets. She blamed the debt on the lengthy illness of her uninsured son-in-law, who needed $1 million for medical bills.

[h2]8. Billy Bob Harrell Jr. - The preacher who won $31 million, lent it all, lost his money and wife and later committed suicide[/h2]
a97101_g060_8-billy-bob.jpg
A Pentecostal preacher working as a stockboy at Home Depot hit the $31 million jackpot back in 1997. At first, life was good with Billy Bob buying a ranch, six other homes, and some new cars. Like many others who win the lottery, he was unable to simply say "NO!" when people asked him for a handout. Later in life he divorced his wife and eventually committed suicide, the stress was apparently too much to handle for this lottery winner.
[h2]9. Michael Carroll –The garbage man who won the lottery, lost it all with party and prostitutes and now is applying for his old job [/h2]
a97101_g060_9-garbage-man.jpg
Want to know how to fritter away a multi-million lottery fortune? Ask Michael Carroll: The unemployed 26-year-old Brit has blown a £9.7 million jackpot he won in 2002 (approximately $15 million at the time) and is currently hoping to get his old job back as a garbageman. At first, Carroll lavished gifts on friends and family, but soon started spending on less admirable causes: Cocaine, parties, cars, and, at one point, up to four prostitutes a day. Only a year after his winning, he was smoking £2,000 of crack cocaine every day and hosting drug and drink fuelled parties at his £325,000 home, the notorious Grange in Downham, Norfolk. After his wife left him, Carroll turned to prostitutes. He boasted about sleeping with four a day - a total of 2,000 at a cost of £100,000 over eight years - in order to sate his sexual appetite. He also lost £1million on the dogs and horses and even injected £1million into his favourite football team, Rangers. He was down to his last £500,000 cash in 2008 and last year sold his £400,000 fleet of luxury cars and spent the proceeds.

Now he is collecting a £42 a week in jobseeker's allowance. According to him it's easier to live off £42 dole than a million."

[h2]Vivian Nicholson – The famous lottery winner who said she would ‘spend, spend, spend' and so she did[/h2]
a97101_g060_10-viv-spent-spent.jpg
Vivian Nicholson famously claimed she would “spend, spend, spend

This is the actual one I was looking for right here:

[h2]1. Callie Rogers - The teenager girl who spent all her money on clothes, parties and silicone[/h2]
a97101_g060_1-callie-rogers.jpg
Callie Rogers was once the world's luckiest teenager. At the tender age of 16, Ms. Rogers won £1.9million lottery. That was, at the time, about $3 million. Now it's all gone. The ecstatic girl spent her winnings on vacations, homes, shopping, friends, and even a couple of breast improvements. Six years and two attempts of suicide later, Rogers is a 22-year-old single mother of two. She now works as a maid to sustain herself and her family. She is paying off debt induced by her spending.

[h2]2. Janite Lee – The Missourian who gave away her money to politics, education and the community and ended up with nothing left[/h2]
a97101_g060_2-lee-reading-room.jpg
Sometimes, even good intentions can get wildly out of hand -- as was the case for Janite Lee, the 52-year-old woman, who landed an $18 million payout from the Missouri Lottery back in 1993. The South Korean immigrant immediately began to contribute chunks of her wealth to various educational programs, community services and political organizations. Besides the usual million-dollar house and cars, Lee reportedly donated more than $1 million to Washington University, where her namesake reading room commemorates the occasion. She reportedly donated $277,000 to Democratic political candidates, earning herself meals with Bill Clinton, Al Gore, and even the President of South Korea. She didn't stop there. $30,000 went to the family of a South Korean church pastor who passed away. The St. Louis Korean American Association received a house from her. Another Korean adoption-related association also benefited. Lee's philanthropy was expensive. But combined with her gambling habit—she lost $347,000 in a single year—bank loans, and credit card debt, it harkened disaster. She filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2001.

[h2] 3. "Jack" Whittaker Jr - The once biggest lottery winner who lost $114 million in four years [/h2]
a97101_g060_3-Andrew-jackson.jpg
On December 25, 2002, West Virginia building contractor Andrew Jackson "Jack" Whittaker Jr. won $315 million in the Powerball multi-state lottery, at that time the largest jackpot in history won by a single person. At the time, he was the president of a successful contracting firm called Diversified Enterprises Construction. 55-year-old Whittaker was living a successfully comfortable American life complete with a net worth of over one million dollars, a well rounded family, great job and healthy grandkids. After winning the prize, he famously pledged 10% of his winnings to various Christian charities and created the Jack Whittaker Foundation with another $14 million.

Whittaker did some good, but his bad deeds make his story. He was arrested twice, once for drunk driving and once for threatening a bar manager. A woman sued him after he groped her at a dog racetrack. Thieves took $545,000 in cash from Whittaker's car while he was visiting a strip club. About a year later, thieves again stole $200,000 from his car. Caesars Atlantic City sued him for bouncing $1.5 million in checks. His wife divorced him. Then, there were the dead bodies. In 2003, Whittaker's granddaughter's boyfriend was found dead of an overdose inside Whittaker's home. His 17-year-old granddaughter, whom he had been giving a $2,100 weekly allowance, fatally overdosed months later, at a different location. His daughter—mother of the dead granddaughter—died this year of as-yet-undetermined causes. When reached for comment, Whittaker, now with no family and no fortune, said "I wish I'd torn that ticket up."

[h2]4. Ken Proxmire – The machinist who won $1 million, went into car business and bankrupt in 4 years[/h2]
a97101_g060_4-michigan.jpg
Ken Proxmire was a machinist when he won $1 million in the Michigan lottery. He moved to California and went into the car business with his brothers. Within five years, he had filed for bankruptcy. "He was just a poor boy who got lucky and wanted to take care of everybody," explains Ken's son Rick. "It was a hell of a good ride for three or four years, but now he lives more simply. There's no more talk of owning a helicopter or riding in limos. We're just everyday folks. Dad's now back to work as a machinist," says his son.

[h2]5. Evelyn Adams – The woman won the lottery twice and now lives in a trailer[/h2]
a97101_g060_5-evelyn-adams.jpg
Everyone knows the odds of winning the lottery once are astronomical. But Evelyn Adams beat those odds -- twice. The New Jersey resident hit the jackpot in 1985 and 1986 to the sum of $5.4 million. But Adams was a heavy gambler. And with Atlantic City being located in New Jersey, it wasn't long before Adams had lost all her money. Twenty years later, Adams is broke and living in a trailer.

[h2]6. Jeffrey Dampier – The man who won 20 million in the lottery and was murdered by his greedy in-laws[/h2]
a97101_g060_6-jeffrey-dampier.jpg
Think your in-laws are a pain in the ++#? Consider the case of Jeffrey Dampier who won $20 million in the Illinois Lottery in 1986. Upon receiving his prize, the generous winner immediately began showering friends and family with expensive gifts, including cars, houses and trips to exotic places. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough for Dampier's sister-in-law, Victoria Jackson. On the night of July 26, 2005, Jackson and her boyfriend, Nathaniel Jackson (not related), kidnapped the millionaire and shot him once in the back of the head, killing him instantly -- jealousy was deemed the motive. Both were charged with Dampier's murder and sentenced to life in prison.

[h2]7. Suzanne Mullins – The woman who won $4.2 million and yet needed a loan to pay her bills[/h2]
a97101_g060_7-suzane2.jpg
Mullins won the lottery back in 1993 and opted for yearly payouts instead of a lump sum. She planned on splitting the 20 annual payments of $47,800 with her husband and daughter. However, within five years, she found herself in debt and used her future payouts as collateral for a $200,000 loan. Mullins later switched to a lump sum payout but never paid back her debts. The loan company filed suit and won judgment for a $154k settlement but they haven't collected anything because Mullins reportedly has no assets. She blamed the debt on the lengthy illness of her uninsured son-in-law, who needed $1 million for medical bills.

[h2]8. Billy Bob Harrell Jr. - The preacher who won $31 million, lent it all, lost his money and wife and later committed suicide[/h2]
a97101_g060_8-billy-bob.jpg
A Pentecostal preacher working as a stockboy at Home Depot hit the $31 million jackpot back in 1997. At first, life was good with Billy Bob buying a ranch, six other homes, and some new cars. Like many others who win the lottery, he was unable to simply say "NO!" when people asked him for a handout. Later in life he divorced his wife and eventually committed suicide, the stress was apparently too much to handle for this lottery winner.
[h2]9. Michael Carroll –The garbage man who won the lottery, lost it all with party and prostitutes and now is applying for his old job [/h2]
a97101_g060_9-garbage-man.jpg
Want to know how to fritter away a multi-million lottery fortune? Ask Michael Carroll: The unemployed 26-year-old Brit has blown a £9.7 million jackpot he won in 2002 (approximately $15 million at the time) and is currently hoping to get his old job back as a garbageman. At first, Carroll lavished gifts on friends and family, but soon started spending on less admirable causes: Cocaine, parties, cars, and, at one point, up to four prostitutes a day. Only a year after his winning, he was smoking £2,000 of crack cocaine every day and hosting drug and drink fuelled parties at his £325,000 home, the notorious Grange in Downham, Norfolk. After his wife left him, Carroll turned to prostitutes. He boasted about sleeping with four a day - a total of 2,000 at a cost of £100,000 over eight years - in order to sate his sexual appetite. He also lost £1million on the dogs and horses and even injected £1million into his favourite football team, Rangers. He was down to his last £500,000 cash in 2008 and last year sold his £400,000 fleet of luxury cars and spent the proceeds.

Now he is collecting a £42 a week in jobseeker's allowance. According to him it's easier to live off £42 dole than a million."

[h2]Vivian Nicholson – The famous lottery winner who said she would ‘spend, spend, spend' and so she did[/h2]
a97101_g060_10-viv-spent-spent.jpg
Vivian Nicholson famously claimed she would “spend, spend, spend

Back
Top Bottom