Google Chromebook(s)

whyhellothere

Banned
[h4][/h4]
[h4]Official: Samsung reveals Chrome OS laptop -- the Series 5[/h4]
By Sean Hollister posted May 11th 2011 1:24PM

Breaking News

post_icon_pr.gif

Rumors told us what, when and even how much to expect, but Google just made it official on stage -- Chrome OS netbooks are finally here, and Samsung is leading the way with a ultra-slim 0.79-inch thin machine. This is the Samsung Series 5 ChromeBook, which plays to Google's new standard "Chromebook" spec --in short means they'll each come with a dual-core Intel Atom processor and an "all-day" battery, which Google says will provide 8.5 hours of continuous usage here. Samsung's particular clamshell will have a 12.1-inch, 1280 x 800, 300 nit screen, weigh 3.26 pounds and come with dual-band 802.11 WiFi, optional global 3G, two USB 2.0 ports, an HD webcam and a clickable trackpad that Google tells us has thankfully been revamped since the CR-48. You'll be able to purchase one from Amazon or Best Buy beginning June 15th. It'll cost $429 for the WiFi version and $499 for worldwide 3G -- which includes 100MB of free Verizon data per month, just like the CR-48. PR after the break.

Update: Amazon's Series 5 listing details some additional specs -- we're looking at a dual-core 1.66GHz Intel Atom N570 chip, a 1 megapixel webcam, and a 16GB mSATA solid state drive here, as well as an SDXC card reader, and VGA-out via an "optional" dongle.

Link/Pics

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Google unveils Acer Chromebook: $349, 11.6-inches with 6.5-hour battery[/h4]
By Richard Lawler posted May 11th 2011 1:23PM

Breaking News

Google just showed off a new 11.6-inch Chromebook from Acer at Google I/O promising an eight second boot time with an Intel Atom N570 CPU, 16GB SDD, instant-on, two USB ports, webcam, HDMI and 6.5 hour battery life. It's cheaper than the Samsung Series 5 also announced, starting at $349 with optional world-mode 3G available for more cash and will be available for preorder on the same day -- June 15th from Amazon and Best Buy. Check more details at the source link below, with pics in the gallery and specs are after the break.
Link/Pics
[h4]Google adding Netflix, Hulu support, offline Gmail, Calendar and Docs to Chrome OS this summer, prices hardware at $20 per month[/h4]
By Vlad Savov posted May 11th 2011 1:37PM

Breaking News

post_icon_video.gif

Google's currently in the process of detailing Chrome OS' latest improvements and there are a couple of big 'uns: Netflix and Hulu support will be available right out of the box for the pair of new Chromebooks -- one from Samsung and one from Acer. An improved file manager has also been added to the upcoming version of Chrome OS, plus offline versions of Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Docs -- all will be made available for Chromebook users this summer. You can learn more about these improvements in the video after the break.

Far more monumental, Google's also just announced the cost of these Chromebooks and there's no upfront payment to speak of. Instead, Chrome OS laptops will be distributed on the basis of a recurring monthly subscription, which will cost $28 per user for businesses and $20 per user for schools. That includes regular software and hardware upgrades. Hardware as a service, folks!

Link/Chrome OS Screenshots

interesting, especially the pricing plans but i think im good

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Official: Samsung reveals Chrome OS laptop -- the Series 5[/h4]
By Sean Hollister posted May 11th 2011 1:24PM

Breaking News

post_icon_pr.gif

Rumors told us what, when and even how much to expect, but Google just made it official on stage -- Chrome OS netbooks are finally here, and Samsung is leading the way with a ultra-slim 0.79-inch thin machine. This is the Samsung Series 5 ChromeBook, which plays to Google's new standard "Chromebook" spec --in short means they'll each come with a dual-core Intel Atom processor and an "all-day" battery, which Google says will provide 8.5 hours of continuous usage here. Samsung's particular clamshell will have a 12.1-inch, 1280 x 800, 300 nit screen, weigh 3.26 pounds and come with dual-band 802.11 WiFi, optional global 3G, two USB 2.0 ports, an HD webcam and a clickable trackpad that Google tells us has thankfully been revamped since the CR-48. You'll be able to purchase one from Amazon or Best Buy beginning June 15th. It'll cost $429 for the WiFi version and $499 for worldwide 3G -- which includes 100MB of free Verizon data per month, just like the CR-48. PR after the break.

Update: Amazon's Series 5 listing details some additional specs -- we're looking at a dual-core 1.66GHz Intel Atom N570 chip, a 1 megapixel webcam, and a 16GB mSATA solid state drive here, as well as an SDXC card reader, and VGA-out via an "optional" dongle.

Link/Pics

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Google unveils Acer Chromebook: $349, 11.6-inches with 6.5-hour battery[/h4]
By Richard Lawler posted May 11th 2011 1:23PM

Breaking News

Google just showed off a new 11.6-inch Chromebook from Acer at Google I/O promising an eight second boot time with an Intel Atom N570 CPU, 16GB SDD, instant-on, two USB ports, webcam, HDMI and 6.5 hour battery life. It's cheaper than the Samsung Series 5 also announced, starting at $349 with optional world-mode 3G available for more cash and will be available for preorder on the same day -- June 15th from Amazon and Best Buy. Check more details at the source link below, with pics in the gallery and specs are after the break.
Link/Pics
[h4]Google adding Netflix, Hulu support, offline Gmail, Calendar and Docs to Chrome OS this summer, prices hardware at $20 per month[/h4]
By Vlad Savov posted May 11th 2011 1:37PM

Breaking News

post_icon_video.gif

Google's currently in the process of detailing Chrome OS' latest improvements and there are a couple of big 'uns: Netflix and Hulu support will be available right out of the box for the pair of new Chromebooks -- one from Samsung and one from Acer. An improved file manager has also been added to the upcoming version of Chrome OS, plus offline versions of Gmail, Google Calendar, and Google Docs -- all will be made available for Chromebook users this summer. You can learn more about these improvements in the video after the break.

Far more monumental, Google's also just announced the cost of these Chromebooks and there's no upfront payment to speak of. Instead, Chrome OS laptops will be distributed on the basis of a recurring monthly subscription, which will cost $28 per user for businesses and $20 per user for schools. That includes regular software and hardware upgrades. Hardware as a service, folks!

Link/Chrome OS Screenshots

interesting, especially the pricing plans but i think im good

Samsung Chromebook copped.

Google shaken up the Desktop legacy OS in its boots, ChromeOS hitting the Business Enterprise Micro$oft will need to really have a impressive pro-folio with Windows 8.

Samsung Chromebook copped.

Google shaken up the Desktop legacy OS in its boots, ChromeOS hitting the Business Enterprise Micro$oft will need to really have a impressive pro-folio with Windows 8.

Originally Posted by ludex360

i don't get it. is there a hard drive? can you download movies and music?

If your asking these types of questions, this computer if definitely not for you.

It does not need a large hardrive capicity cause all your information is stored over the cloud(Google Servers), Yes you can download music but its in Beta form which you need to be invited in to use for now, all your music sync over cloud and any ChromeOS browser you use on any other computer.

Get with the times and start using Google Chrome oppose to any other browser that isn't cloud based.(IE9, SAFARI ETC...)

If your asking these types of questions, this computer if definitely not for you.

It does not need a large hardrive capicity cause all your information is stored over the cloud(Google Servers), Yes you can download music but its in Beta form which you need to be invited in to use for now, all your music sync over cloud and any ChromeOS browser you use on any other computer.

Get with the times and start using Google Chrome oppose to any other browser that isn't cloud based.(IE9, SAFARI ETC...)

probably just a very small ssd drive for the os
prob not, everything is cloud based

Originally Posted by Zyzz

screw google since they never gave me my free laptop

THIS

probably just a very small ssd drive for the os
prob not, everything is cloud based

Originally Posted by Zyzz

screw google since they never gave me my free laptop

THIS

I use chrome, what if your internet goes down and you still need to finish a word doc. or spreadsheet?

When will google release chrome OS, i would install it has a 3rd OS on my macbook

I use chrome, what if your internet goes down and you still need to finish a word doc. or spreadsheet?

When will google release chrome OS, i would install it has a 3rd OS on my macbook

theyll probably do the same thing theyre doing with gmail which is adding offline functionality

Back
Top Bottom