24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

That's score when I check mine is 3-4 points lower than my credit karma score. And when discover gives me my free score it's normally about 5 points lower than both of those. So my guess is its pretty accurate.

Just got my 100k point bonus for my chase sapphire reserve cc. Tempted to get the $1k cash back although if i trade it in through the ultimate rewards program I get $1500 for travel. decisions decisions... 

Got a $550 CLI last month from discover without requesting it. Just requested one for the first time and got a $3950 increase :pimp:

Gonna do it again around New Years

Requested a Discover CLI -- got approved for $500

laugh.gif

Only negative can be if you can't control spending outside your means and run up a huge bill you can't afford. Other than that, no. Having a higher limit will lower your utilization % and give you a better score.

Last edited:
^thanks

anyone have experience putting a down payment on a credit card?

googled and gotten mixed reviews if dealers allowed doing so

hey everyone,

i currently have a Navy Federal 1% Cash Back Rewards card with an $1000 limit. i've had it almost a year now. was interested in getting my cap raised. i pay off my balance in full each month. just worried that asking to get it raised will negatively effect my credit score (710) if they do another hard inquiry. any advice?

hey everyone,

i currently have a Navy Federal 1% Cash Back Rewards card with an $1000 limit. i've had it almost a year now. was interested in getting my cap raised. i pay off my balance in full each month. just worried that asking to get it raised will negatively effect my credit score (710) if they do another hard inquiry. any advice?

I'm not sure if navy federal does hard or soft pulls maybe somebody else could chime in. But you can always call and ask if they do hard inquiries or soft inquiries for credit limit increases

^thanks

It's specifically up to the dealer. I have done it. Twice. There's no laws against it. However some dealers might not want to do it just ask.

hey everyone,

You are lunching my dude. Navy federal is the most generous when it comes to cli. They do soft pulls on every members credit quarterly. If you request shortly after I can guarantee no hard pull.
Tip- the first time you ask for a cli through them, ask for around 6-7k. (95 %chance approval with scores above 700).
If you get immediate approval, that means you have much more room left.
After 30 days, request another cli (no hard pull promise). Ask for 25k. They will either give you 25k, or counter offer with another amount that the computer is authorized to give you.

Yup, I suggest opening a checking line of credit with Navy ask for the max of 15K. They either approve the entire 15K or counter.

The CLOC counts towards your total amount of credit and utilization .

^thanks

Some dealers put a cap on how much they will allow you to put on your card. I've seen from 2k-5k on average and then for more expensive cars there are definitely situations where I've seen higher down payments on a credit card etc. Best bet is to really contact your exact dealership you're dealing with to find out. It's a great way to earn bonus rewards points as long as you're paying the downpayment in full through your card right away and not paying interest. 
Instant approved for the chase sapphire reserve with 13k limit today
smokin.gif
Congrats on the approval! The sapphire reserve is arguably the best card on the market and it's one of the tougher ones to get approved for. 

Both my credit scores fell to the low 600's all of the sudden. I guess taking out that school loan hit me that hard, it shows deferrment status though. Should I just start a payment plan and start paying on it? Will that change the status? Well I got that TMobile hit for $1600 but finally put a dispute in for that, hopefully it rules in my favor and gets taken off. I called the collection company and they offered to remove it for $1300 then got mad at me when I confirmed I don't want or intend to pay them anything for a bogus entry on some phones I sent back and TMobile even confirmed receipt of.

does anyone have any experience in dealing with chexsystems/early warning system . was given some bad checks tht bounced back in 2012 and bank of America closed my account for "suspected fraudulent activity" haven't been able to open up a bank account since . I have no problem paying them the money back but I need to ensure tht both chexsystems and EWS delete me from there systems so I can open an account .

Back
Top Bottom